Third Debate: Your Comments

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
Gunge
Quote:
Anybody with a web browser and an IQ over 90 can buy canadian drugs.

No thanks to the lunkhead in the White House. In the second debate Bush flip flopped on the issue. First I am against and now I am not against it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:
Pundits who actually watched the thing thought Bush won and I suspect most who watched it will agree. The dems have obviously figured out how to game the online polls, but I don't picture it helping them.

Grasping at straws, are you gungasnake? The CNN/Gallup quicky poll was not a volunteer poll. And there are others as well. Pundits? Whose pundits? I heard not a single one say Bush won. Oh well, I wasn't watching Fox.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:53 am
This is not true:

gungasnake wrote:
There used to be a couple of dozen companies which made flue vaccines; now we're down to two or three and this is due to out of control lawyering courtesy of people like John Edwards.

Drug companies are not interested in producing flu vaccine because the profit margin is extremely low. Chiron's current year vaccines are contaminated and deemed unsafe. The FDA was going to approve using them anyway, but the labs were forcibly shut down (by a different government) due to unsafe manufacturing conditions in the plant, so the vaccines were not shipped.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:59 am
Re: Third Debate: Your Comments
gungasnake wrote:
RfromP wrote:
I haven't seen a thread about this yet so here it is.

The fact that it went that long tells a story, i.e. you know perfectly well that if the dems thought they'd even broken even they'd be all over it.

Actually there was also a parallel thread on the debate that is now 18 pages long, so whatever point you were trying to make seems to be unfounded.

As for "pundits who actually watched the thing" thinking Bush won, eventually the only pundits who count are the voters. And according to four separate opinion polls - not talking about the online polls, but 'bout regular opinion polls - a plurality of respondents thought Kerry won. <shrugs>
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:00 am
princesspupule wrote:
What'd ya'all think of his view that education (or lack thereof) makes one poor? Confused So if you are unemployed, it's because you're uneducated. If you've been discriminated against, you're uneducated. You have no healthy insurance? You're uneducated.

With a B.A. in biology where I live, you can land a job at Office Max, Borders, on the police force, continue to clean houses as self-employed, or go on to school for anothe year and get your teaching certificate, or else leave the island...

How about a job in a fabulous new industry which could eliminate any American dependence on foreign oil and make us all so fat and happy we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves?

All you need to do for starters is eliminate the envirowhack wing of the dem party and allow us to start drilling for oil and refining oil products again.

Then again, America has the world's best and most major reserves of coal. In fact, America's reserves of shale oil could hold us for hundreds of years at present levels of use. Oil prices are at the breakout level fo shale oil now.

Of course, the last time anybody tried to do anything along such lines, Bill Clinton shut them down for the benefit of his Indonesian financial backers and with a stroke of the pen, made the Grand Staircase region of Utah into a national park, thus signing a trillion dollar national asset off to oblivion.

Utah is basically a two-part state; there is a northern section which looks sort of like Switzerland, and a southern area which looks like Mars, and all the coal and shale are in the part which looks like Mars. Mining coal there would not affect the aesthetics of the place noticably.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:04 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
This is not true:

gungasnake wrote:
There used to be a couple of dozen companies which made flue vaccines; now we're down to two or three and this is due to out of control lawyering courtesy of people like John Edwards.

Drug companies are not interested in producing flu vaccine because the profit margin is extremely low. Chiron's current year vaccines are contaminated and deemed unsafe. The FDA was going to approve using them anyway, but the labs were forcibly shut down (by a different government) due to unsafe manufacturing conditions in the plant, so the vaccines were not shipped.

The basic problem is obvious enough and it's the same problem which has Maryland facing a 40% loss of physicians:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20041006-011905-2332r.htm

i.e. lawyering. You have to be better off with 15 companies making that stuff than with two. One guy screws up, would you rather lose 1/15 of your supply or lose 1/2 of it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:15 am
Lawyering is not the cause of medical insurance going up, Gungasnake.

If you would like to know what HAS caused it to go up, we'll start with a question: what do insurance companies do with your money once you give it to them?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:18 am
Gunge
Fossil fuels lead to pollution. Why don't the government put it's money where it would do the most good and eliminate the need for a good part of the oil now consumed? Invest in the research and development of alternate sources of energy.
It will serve two purposes, elimination of the need for involvement in the Mid east to protect the oil supply and make for a cleaner environment.
In addition we would not be forced to support the despotic leaders of the Arab Nations sitting on a good part of the worlds oil supply.
Of course the OIL company's that own the White House would never allow it since it would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:25 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

If you would like to know what HAS caused it to go up, we'll start with a question: what do insurance companies do with your money once you give it to them?

Cycloptichorn

Thank you for pointing this out. This fake issue is only being brought out by republicans because of Edwards being on the ticket. I'm glad somebody else sees through this contrived bullshit. All of a sudden there is a big problem with lawyers. Where was all this compassionate conservative concern before they were up against Edwards and Kerry?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:31 am
au1929 wrote:
Gunge
Fossil fuels lead to pollution. .

Turns out, there's no such thing as a fossil fuel.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:34 am
Notice the question mark at the end of the title. That's because it's still unknown.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
Main Entry: fossil fuel
Function: noun
Date: 1835
: a fuel (as coal, oil, or natural gas) that is formed in the earth from plant or animal remains
- fos·sil-fueled /-"fyü(-&)ld/ adjective
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:42 am
"...no such thing as fossil fuel".
Tell that to America's cars, power plants and heating systems.
Tell it to the DJIA, which today has dipped below the magic 10K... because of constricted supply, rampant speculation and rising prices on this non-existent commodity.

It seems as if the Bushbaby Pep Squad will say anything, no matter how ridiculous, if it serves the will of their masters.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
Gunge
And regardless what the latest theory is "fossil fuels" pollute.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
I'm still flabbergasted by the Presidents response about the shortage of the flu vaccine, "Don't get a flu shot." What will his response be when families have to take money from their grocery budget to pay for gasoline? "Don't eat as much" or "Ride a bicycle to work."

I was however impressed by his solution for creating jobs was to improve the education system. We will have the most educated unemployed workforce in the world.

SCHIEFFER: Mr. President, what do you say to someone in this country who has lost his job to someone overseas who's being paid a fraction of what that job paid here in the United States?

BUSH: I'd say, Bob, I've got policies to continue to grow our economy and create the jobs of the 21st century. And here's some help for you to go get an education. Here's some help for you to go to a community college.

We've expanded trade adjustment assistance. We want to help pay for you to gain the skills necessary to fill the jobs of the 21st century.

And so the person you talked to, I say, here's some help, here's some trade adjustment assistance money for you to go a community college in your neighborhood, a community college which is providing the skills necessary to fill the jobs of the 21st century. And that's what I would say to that person.

So what is he implying here? I should chunk my University diploma in the garbage and get myself enrolled at my local community college? Apparently they're the only ones providing the necessary education to fill the jobs that have been sent overseas.

His "comprehensive strategy" is really starting to frighten me.

Debate Transcript
0 Replies

kickycan

Anxiously waiting for Gunge's article stating that there's no such thing as pollution.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Any reference to World Net Daily is subject for ridicule and scorn.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:48 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Any reference to World Net Daily is subject for ridicule and scorn.

As is any contribution linked to commondreams.org, Democratic Underground and Michael Moore.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
RfromP wrote:
I'm still flabbergasted by the Presidents response about the shortage of the flu vaccine, "Don't get a flu shot." What will his response be when families have to take money from their grocery budget to pay for gasoline? "Don't eat as much" or "Ride a bicycle to work."

I was however impressed by his solution for creating jobs was to improve the education system. We will have the most educated unemployed workforce in the world.

SCHIEFFER: Mr. President, what do you say to someone in this country who has lost his job to someone overseas who's being paid a fraction of what that job paid here in the United States?

BUSH: I'd say, Bob, I've got policies to continue to grow our economy and create the jobs of the 21st century. And here's some help for you to go get an education. Here's some help for you to go to a community college.

We've expanded trade adjustment assistance. We want to help pay for you to gain the skills necessary to fill the jobs of the 21st century.

And so the person you talked to, I say, here's some help, here's some trade adjustment assistance money for you to go a community college in your neighborhood, a community college which is providing the skills necessary to fill the jobs of the 21st century. And that's what I would say to that person.

So what is he implying here? I should chunk my University diploma in the garbage and get myself enrolled at my local community college? Apparently they're the only ones providing the necessary education to fill the jobs that have been sent overseas.

His "comprehensive strategy" is really starting to frighten me.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that sounded idiotic. Yeah, you, the guy with the Bachelor's degree in IT. Sorry! You shoulda been smart and gone to community college to get a Certificate in Heating/Air Conditioning Repair!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
kickycan wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Thank you for pointing this out. This fake issue is only being brought out by republicans because of Edwards being on the ticket. I'm glad somebody else sees through this contrived bullshit. All of a sudden there is a big problem with lawyers. Where was all this compassionate conservative concern before they were up against Edwards and Kerry?

It has been estimated that the waste in the current tort system costs each family in America an average of $1300. This is in increased prices and increased costs of insurance. For example, one estimate is that about one-half of the price difference between US and Canadian drugs is due to liability costs of the US tort system. President Bush has worked for tort reform and will continue to do so. Senator Edwards, the Vice-Presidential nominee of the Democratic Party, has been a tort lawyer and has received and continues to receive significant campaign contributions from other tort lawyers, and it is unlikely that a Kerry-Edwards Administration would work to reduce these costs."

- Paul H. Rubin, Ph.D., Professor of Economics and Law
Emory University
0 Replies