Third Debate: Your Comments

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:00 pm
This was definitely Bush's best performance. I call it a draw. Kerry missed an opportunity to show that Bush's choice of education as a solution to the jobs problem wasn't helpful because it's the higher paying technical jobs that are going overseas. Bush looked like he was taking notes from the person in his ear. He bombed at least one joke -- something about news organizations. Kerry pandered a lot.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:02 pm
Bush had NO way of explaining HOW he would pay for social security if we were to reduce SS taxes in paychecks, because to have the option to put money in personal accounts or invest in the stock market would reduce monies being paid into the system by BILLIONS, with the baby boomers set to retire just around the corner.

All three debates were slam dunks for Kerry.

Bush is pathetic, and needs to go.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
NYTimes already ahs the transcript up, in case anyone else missed any part of it...

I think both candidate did very well. I'm more convinced by what Kerry said, but that's not any surprise since I am a card carrying democrat...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:08 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
...Kerry missed an opportunity to show that Bush's choice of education as a solution to the jobs problem

I don't think he needed to address it. We got it. I trust that people can recognize they didn't get answers.

I think the only thing Bush prepared for was education questions. When his education / No Child was was mentioned as a positive thing the presicent has done at a gathering in Ohio a few weeks back, people laughed. They know the education situation is serious and most do not consider it a winning point for the president.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Bush had NO way of explaining HOW he would pay for social security if we were to reduce SS taxes in paychecks, because to have the option to put money in personal accounts or invest in the stock market would reduce monies being paid into the system by BILLIONS, with the baby boomers set to retire just around the corner.

That's true, but it was, what? 3.5 minutes out of 90 tops?
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
Dookiestix wrote:

Using the budget surplus Bush had when he entered office to try and fix Social Security would have went a long way. Not a complete solution but at least help to repair it. Four years of doing nothing doesn't make me confident that he would try to solve the problem if given four more years.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
Strong performance by Bush. Kerry spent a good deal of time on the defensive explaining himself. Kerry is the more polished speaker, but Bush has better personal appeal. It will be interesting to see which affects the public more favorably.

Those here who don't know the social security system will not be able to sustain itself without either massive infusions from the general government budget or significant benefit reductions - or major reform -must have been vacationing on another planet for the last decade. Kerry's answer was positively deceitful.

Bush misspoke - he had indeed earlier said he wasn't worried about bin Laden. However the clear context for his remark was that bin Laden had much more to be worried about than Bush or any of us. Dems will inevitably try to distort this in a convoluted theory about "taking his eye off the ball".

Kerry also mischaracterized several verifiable facts about his Senate record.

I thought Kerry reached a long way to work a reference to Cheny's homosexual daughter into his answer about the nature/nurture/choice question on the origin of homosexuality. This was an unnecessary, pointless and vile intrusion on Cheny and in particular his daughter, who is not a candidate for any office.

Bush appears to have a slight (2%) lead in the polls. It will be interesting to see what emerges in the next few days.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
He bombed at least one joke -- something about news organizations.

Him comparing Kerry to Ted Kennedy fell just as flat as it did in the last debate.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:19 pm
"If yer healthy and yer young, don't git a shot".

George W Bush strikes his "comprehensive strategy" pose!

How PRO-active!

"Ah wuddn' gon' git wun, ennyhow."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:20 pm
Yeah. The Kerry quote about Bush/Bin Laden was wildly taken out of context. Very deceptive.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
Re: Third Debate: Your Comments
RfromP wrote:
I haven't seen a thread about this yet so here it is.

Heh ... we went through a whopping twelve pages of comments during the debate on this thread Very Happy
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Strong performance by Bush. Kerry spent a good deal of time on the defensive explaining himself. Kerry is the more polished speaker, but Bush has better personal appeal. It will be interesting to see which affects the public more favorably.

Those here who don't know the social security system will not be able to sustain itself without either massive infusions from the general government budget or significant benefit reductions - or major reform -must have been vacationing on another planet for the last decade. Kerry's answer was positively deceitful.

So, if Bush was deceitful, what was Bush? Confused

Quote:
SCHIEFFER: Mr. President, the next question is to you. We all know that Social Security is running out of money, and it has to be fixed. You have proposed to fix it by letting people put some of the money collected to pay benefits into private savings accounts. But the critics are saying that's going to mean finding $1 trillion over the next 10 years to continue paying benefits as those accounts are being set up. So where do you get the money? Are you going to have to increase the deficit by that much over 10 years?

BUSH: First, let me make sure that every senior listening today understands that when we're talking about reforming Social Security, that they'll still get their checks. I remember the 2000 campaign, people said: if George W. gets elected, your check will be taken away. Well, people got their checks, and they'll continue to get their checks. There is a problem for our youngsters, a real problem. And if we don't act today, the problem will be valued in the trillions.

And so I think we need to think differently. We'll honor our commitment to our seniors. But for our children and our grandchildren, we need to have a different strategy. And recognizing that, I called together a group of our fellow citizens to study the issue. It was a committee chaired by the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York, a Democrat. And they came up with a variety of ideas for people to look at. I believe that younger workers ought to be allowed to take some of their own money and put it in a personal savings account, because I understand that they need to get better rates of return than the rates of return being given in the current Social Security trust. And the compounding rate of interest effect will make it more likely that the Social Security system is solvent for our children and our grandchildren. I will work with Republicans and Democrats. It'll be a vital issue in my second term. It is an issue that I am willing to take on, and so I'll bring Republicans and Democrats together.

And we're of course going to have to consider the costs. But I want to warn my fellow citizens: The cost of doing nothing, the cost of saying the current system is OK, far exceeds the costs of trying to make sure we save the system for our children.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:30 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Kerry is the more polished speaker, but Bush has better personal appeal. It will be interesting to see which affects the public more favorably.

If I were to have one of them over for a BBQ and some beers I would invite Bush rather than Kerry. I think he's a more affable guy. Fortunately I vote with my head and not my heart. I've had four years to see him in action and I'm not happy with what I've seen. I want to see what someone else can do.

georgeob1 wrote:
Bush misspoke - he had indeed earlier said he wasbn't worried about bin Laden. However the clear context for his remark was that bin Laded had much more to be worried about than Bush or any of us. Dems will inevitably try to distort this in a convoluted theory about "taking his eye off the ball".

What goes around comes around, right?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:31 pm
The third debate goes in my view to Kerry,again,who spoke well and direct to the camera. So let's wait what the polls will say and accordingly some swing voters.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:31 pm
Quote:
I thought Kerry reached a long way to work a reference to Cheny's homosexual daughter into his answer about the nature/nurture/choice question on the origin of homosexuality.

I thought it was brilliant. Let's talk about homosexuality in the context of YOUR OWN CHILDREN, because there are THOUSANDS of parents out there in a similar circumstance.

These boneheads in the White House wanted to make a constitutional amendment banning homosexual marriage, and all the benefits it provides. So why NOT throw it back in their face and test their hypocrisy on the subject matter?
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:34 pm
Bush's Flu Vaccine policy is the same as his Abortion policy... Abstinence.

(shakes head in wonder)
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:35 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I thought Kerry reached a long way to work a reference to Cheny's homosexual daughter into his answer about the nature/nurture/choice question on the origin of homosexuality. This was an unnecessary, pointless and vile intrusion on Cheny and in particular his daughter, who is not a candidate for any office.

I agree that reference was totally unnecessary. I'm not sure what he hoped to gain from it.

Dookiestix, that an interesting take on it. I hadn't thought about it that way.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:38 pm
Re Cheney's daughter. It was like a mean-spirited outing for profit. There was no reason whatsoever to drag her out like that.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
She's already out.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
RfromP wrote:
[If I were to have one of them over for a BBQ and some beers I would invite Bush rather than Kerry. I think he's a more affable guy. Fortunately I vote with my head and not my heart. I've had four years to see him in action and I'm not happy with what I've seen. I want to see what someone else can do.]quote

If I was having a BBQ and some beers I would want bush around to turn the chicken and run to the grocery for more beer, but I doubt I'd include him in any conversation......
0 Replies