Third Debate: Your Comments

RfromP

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:09 pm
JustWonders wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lawyering is not the cause of medical insurance going up, Gungasnake.

If you would like to know what HAS caused it to go up, we'll start with a question: what do insurance companies do with your money once you give it to them?

Cycloptichorn

Thank you for pointing this out. This fake issue is only being brought out by republicans because of Edwards being on the ticket. I'm glad somebody else sees through this contrived bullshit. All of a sudden there is a big problem with lawyers. Where was all this compassionate conservative concern before they were up against Edwards and Kerry?

It has been estimated that the waste in the current tort system costs each family in America an average of $1300...........and it is unlikely that a Kerry-Edwards Administration would work to reduce these costs."
- Paul H. Rubin, Ph.D., Professor of Economics and Law
Emory University
[/color]

Estimated by whom? I don't take some random Professor's quote of some unknown estimation nor his opinion on what a Kerry-Edwards Administration would or wouldn't do as fact.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:11 pm
C'mon JustWonders! Get your head out of the clouds. What could Paul Rubin know about anything? He is obviously nothing more than a Republican shill. He works for Emory University for gosh sakes!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:16 pm
My question STILL hasn't been answered!

What do the insurance companies DO with your money once you give it to them?

If you don't understand this critical step, then you don't understand why insurance costs have gone up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:18 pm
Cycloptichorn:

My guess is some of that money goes to THEIR lawyers in fighting and screwing over the American consumer, and the rest of the money probably goes to their fat cat CEO's who get millions in compensation for a job well done.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm
Close, Dookie, but not quite on.

You have to realize the immense amounts of cash we are dealing with here.

I'll go ahead and answer the question for you: when you give your insurance company money, they INVEST that money. That is how they make money, by earning capital on your payments before you make a claim and they have to pay you back.

Time for question number 2. Can you guess which industry (beginning with an 'I' and ending with an 'e') lost amazing amounts of money on bad investments in the last 5 years?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:34 pm
Hey, I'm all ears. What kind of bad investments did the Insurance industry make? And wouldn't you think that investing one's retirement would probably have the same effect, as Bush is suggesting?

Boy, I can't take much more of this compassionate conservatism. It's gonna bankrupt me before my retirement years approaches.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:46 pm

McGentrix wrote:
C'mon JustWonders! Get your head out of the clouds. What could Paul Rubin know about anything? He is obviously nothing more than a Republican shill. He works for Emory University for gosh sakes!

And he masturbates in dark theaters!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:47 pm
with lesbians....
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:52 pm
SCHIEFFER: Mr. President, new question, two minutes.

You said that if Congress would vote to extend the ban on assault weapons, that you'd sign the legislation, but you did nothing to encourage the Congress to extend it. Why not?

But the best way to protect our citizens from guns is to prosecute those who commit crimes with guns. And that's why early in my administration I called the attorney general and the U. S. attorneys and said: Put together a task force all around the country to prosecute those who commit crimes with guns. And the prosecutions are up by about 68 percent -- I believe -- is the number.

Neighborhoods are safer when we crack down on people who commit crimes with guns.

To me, that's the best way to secure America.

O.k. Let me get this straight. To protect me from guns his plan is to prosecute those who commit crime with guns. Do we not prosecute those who commit crime with guns now? Sure we do. Prosecutions are up by 68%. That tells me that there has been an increase of 68% in crime being committed with guns. I'm not exactly feeling safer.

What about the terrorist on American soil who now has access to assault weapons? The terrorist doesn't care about his own life much less being prosecuted for committing a crime with an assault weapon. I do not understand the President's rationale.

Debate Transcript
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:53 pm
neither does he :-)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Close, Dookie, but not quite on.

You have to realize the immense amounts of cash we are dealing with here.

I'll go ahead and answer the question for you: when you give your insurance company money, they INVEST that money. That is how they make money, by earning capital on your payments before you make a claim and they have to pay you back.

Time for question number 2. Can you guess which industry (beginning with an 'I' and ending with an 'e') lost amazing amounts of money on bad investments in the last 5 years?

Cycloptichorn

That's not true.

Insurance companies have to have a percentage of their money liquid incase of a mass payout is required. I forget the actual percentage, but IIRC, it's like 15% of the total net worth. That money they invest.

Most of the money they take in goes back out in the form of payments to doctors and as staff overhead. Payouts contribute the majority of where the money goes. As doctors rates increase, insurance companies must raise their rates to stay profitable... I know that 's a bad word for liberals, profit, but that why companies stay in business.

Now, why are doctor/hospital rates going up? Lawsuits. Now, ask yourself, who is responsible for the huge number of lawsuits being brought against doctors and hospitals? Could it be....lawyers? *gasp* I know! Can you believe it?!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:06 pm
That's ridiculous.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
and would there be a lawsuit if gasp!!!! a doctor, hospital or drug manufacturere hadn't f*#ked up?

For someone who supposedly holds accountability in such high esteem, you conservatives sure don't apply it to people who get sued......they can't all be innocent.....
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
I would think that "Actionable malfeasance", negligence, and "malpractice"(shoddy doctoring) might play a bigger part in the phenomenon.

Placing ALL the blame on the Attorneys is just a cheap dodge, a distraction, a "Bait'n'switch".
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:11 pm
Quote:
*gasp* I know! Can you believe it?!

Actually, I don't believe a word of it. You have a link regarding your screed?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
That IS ridiculous.

The reason the rates have gone up is that the investments made by the insurance companies have tanked.

Severely. Part of it is due to 9/11, part due to poor management.

Most insurance companies break even on the payin-payout flow. You don't even seem to disagree with me on that one.

Here's where you resort to circular logic:

Quote:
Most of the money they take in goes back out in the form of payments to doctors and as staff overhead. Payouts contribute the majority of where the money goes. As doctors rates increase, insurance companies must raise their rates to stay profitable... I know that 's a bad word for liberals, profit, but that why companies stay in business.

So: As doctors rates increase, insurance companies raise rates accordingly.

But WHY are the doctor's rates increasing? Because the INSURANCE has gone up so much in the last few years, and this effects every aspect of the industry, from medicine production to payroll, everything!

So, according to you, the doctor's rates increase, this makes insurance go up, which makes the rates increase, which makes insurance go up.... it's bad logic.

The REAL reason insurance rates have gone up is because the insurance companies just aren't making the return they need of off investing the premiums in order to keep the high rate of ROI they are used to. Blaming it on either doctors or lawyers is simply foolish.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
This is one for Ripley. Believe it or not

AP Top News at 2:50 p.m. EDT Bush Says Debates Highlight His Record

LAS VEGAS (AP) - President Bush said Thursday the trio of prime-time debates with Sen. John Kerry demonstrated he is running on his record - and his opponent away from his own - even as the Republican campaign acknowledged that Kerry had gained from the confrontations viewed by tens of millions of Americans. "The senator's record is 20 years of out-of-the-mainstream votes without any significant reforms or results," Bush told thousands of cheering supporters amid post-debate polls showing Kerry was widely viewed as winning each one. "I'm proud of my record. My opponent seemed to want to avoid talking about his.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:19 pm
well au the debates did highlight bushs' record....much to the delight of Senator Kerry
0 Replies

nimh

Quote:
In an interview Thursday with ABC Radio, Elizabeth Edwards, wife of Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards, said Mrs. Cheney "overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs. ... I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences. ... It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response."
0 Replies

Dookiestix

I can't believe it; McGentrix is passing the blame to BOTH doctors and lawyers. Truly unbelievable.
0 Replies