Affordable Care Act

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 05:28 pm
This is a place to put your gripes and praises of the Affordable Care Act.

I have always supported the Affordable Care Act.

I have a question.

If more people sign up for the Affordable Care Act does everyone's premiums go down?

Is it like a pool where the more people who sign up the more money there is to lower premiums or is it more like people will pay the same rate premiums no matter how many people sign up?

If it is like a pool where the more people who sign up the lower their premiums then it would seem the states who have not fully complied with the mandate are the reason why premiums are high, and to blame President Obama for what red states have not done to comply is disingenuous.

If it is not set up like a pool, then why not?

Why should insurance companies profit from the sheer numbers of participants?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 11,991 • Replies: 338

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 08:52 pm
@TheCobbler,
No. The only way premiums can go down is when younger people sign up. That was the plan, but that didn't happen.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 10:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
ObamaCare enrollment numbers for young adults are about 2.6 million under the age of 26. The 18-34 demographic, the young adult demographic, disproportionately qualifies for cost assistance and Medicaid, this led to high enrollment numbers (28% of all enrollments) and an expectation of high enrollment numbers during next open enrollment. Last minute sign ups surged in the young adult demographic putting to rest the fear that not enough healthy young people would “enroll in ObamaCare”. Initial reports from insurers show that a large number of young adults signed up outside of the marketplaces, these numbers haven’t been confirmed yet, but point toward better than expected enrollments under the ACA.

http://obamacarefacts.com/sign-ups/young-adult-enrollment-numbers/
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:02 pm
@TheCobbler,
The ACA is on it's way out. This could be it's A2K obituary.
Blickers

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:28 pm
The guy who wrote the fifty plus bills trying to repeal the ACA is Trump's choice for Secretary of Health and Human Services.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:49 pm
@Blickers,
I can't wait to see the ****-storm the repeal will cause!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2016 11:51 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:

While millions of people have gained coverage through the Affordable Care Act, an estimated 28 million Americans remain uninsured. And preliminary data shows that about 5.6 million paid a tax penalty rather than buy health insurance in 2015, according to The New York Times.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 09:26 am
If the ACA were to bypass insurance companies and rely solely on doctor patient interaction would that not bring premiums down?

Just like Wall Street speculators who buy and sell products repetitively 'til the price of a commodity is artificially jacked up leaving the consumer to pay.

If no one can be refused and there are no preexisting conditions for insurance eligibility, then why do we need fat cat insurers in the middle jacking up prices?

It seems doctors should be saddled with the burden of justifying surgeries and medications.

This would allow the ACA to become a pool paid in by everyone and over time it could grow to the point where premiums could become so low that it would no longer be a burden to pay it for the majority of people.

It makes one wonder why 99% of our elected officials own stock in medical insurance...

I am tired of my bank trying to sell me life insurance.

Is it time for someone to "knock me off"? Smile

It is like being forced to buy a newspaper when one can just get the news online.

Medical insurers are the problem with the ACA.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 09:33 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
If no one can be refused and there are no preexisting condition for insurance eligibility, then why do we need fat cat insurers in the middle jacking up prices?

Exactly! It's because our representatives have been paid off.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 10:07 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

The ACA is on it's way out. This could be it's A2K obituary.

That's the plan and with the ACA, a portion of Medicare is to be hung out to dry.

After that, the plan is to slash anything remotely related to Women's health ( including, of course abortion).
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 12:14 pm
@Miller,
What short memories we Americans have! We're putting ourselves right back to the heart of the health care crisis that caused the creation of the ACA in the first place.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 12:40 pm
@TomTomBinks,
We tried one-payer system, but congress turned it down. I believe in competition, but when the CEOs of health insurance companies are paid millions, we know we're all paying extra.
I'm glad I'm under Medicare. I feel our co-pays are reasonable; $25 for a doctor's visit.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 11:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I remember that well. The population elected President Obama because he promised to fix our broken health care system. He appointed a bipartisan committee to do so. After months of work they came back with a workable plan; the single payer system. Congress, who is supposed to represent us, voted it down. Now how exactly does a president get elected by people who want a better health care system, and their representatives vote AGAINST that system?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:18 am
@TomTomBinks,
We know congress is broken, because they're one of the least productive in contemporary times.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 04:03 am
PAUL KRUGMAN: 5.5 MILLION TRUMP SUPPORTERS TO LOSE HEALTH INSURANCE WITH OBAMACARE REPEAL
http://theintellectualist.co/5-5-million-trump-supporters-will-lose-health-insurance-due-to-obamacare-repeal/
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2016 12:33 pm
@TheCobbler,
Now, that is funny! Some people are against things that they benefit from. There's no cure for stupid.
Blickers

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 07:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
If people were not against things that they benefit from or will soon benefit from, the Republican Party would have almost no supporters over the age of 50. The GOP's been looking to take down Social Security and Medicare for decades.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:22 am
Trump said Goldman Sachs ‘robbed our working class.’ He just picked a Goldman banker to run the economy.
http://usuncut.com/politics/trump-goldman-steven-mnuchin/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:25 am
Florida Governor Busted Attempting To Toss Thousands Of Mail-In Ballots
http://politicaldig.com/florida-governor-busted-attempting-toss-thousands-mail-ballots/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 10:14 am
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/15036160_1175830122501483_2627601806656372175_n.jpg?oh=045922e525ad187ccfbfa8ebd6460cd2&oe=58F64C96
0 Replies