How does this money get to low income people?

qmavam

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:14 am
I have a good health policy for $7,700. An inferior ACA Policy is $13,800.
How does the extra $6,100 paid to the ins. co. help the uninsured?
I don't see discounted policies for low income people and the subsidy comes from hardworking taxpayers not the ins.co.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,474 • Replies: 7
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 02:08 pm
@qmavam,
I am skeptical...

1. Is this a family plan or an individual plan ($13,800 would be about the cost of a family plan under ACA)? However, the amount you were paying, $7700, is not enough to pay for a good family plan outside of ACA.

2. Why do you say the ACA policy is "inferior"?

3. If this is the case, then why don't you stick with your "good" health policy?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 02:39 pm
@qmavam,
How much do you think the "hardworking taxpayers" were paying for the uninsured to use hospital emergency rooms for their routine medical care because they couldn't be turned away from them?
qmavam

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:49 pm
@maxdancona,
" Is this a family plan or an individual plan ($13,800 would be about the cost of a family plan under ACA)?

A family plan covering three.

"However, the amount you were paying, $7700, is not enough to pay for a good family plan outside of ACA."

Bull%&$#! You have been Brainwashed.

I bought a high deductible ($10,000) plan May-09 it reduced my premium from $9,900 to $4,300. I had a couple of 7.5% premium increases, then the ACA rules and increases started, on 5-12, +19.4%, on 5-13, +21%, and on 5-14, +18.8%. So now my premium is $7,752. It is better than a Bronze plan, the deductible is less, $10,000 vs $12,500 for the ACA. The coverage is better, once I pay my $10,000, it pays 100%, the ACA plan doesn't. The only place where the ACA is better, I'm limited to a $5,000,000 lifetime cap per person, the ACA is unlimited. The ACA also covers Mental Health Service and Substance Dependency Care and Treatment better than my policy.

Edit, While searching for the plan number I found I have a July 2014 letter saying, the Mental Health Service and Substance Dependency Care and Treatment section is deleted in it's entirety and replaced with verbage saying most of it is covered 100%, after my deductible.

"Why do you say the ACA policy is "inferior"?"

I explained above, plus my plan is $6,048 cheaper.

" If this is the case, then why don't you stick with your "good" health policy?"

I am, but because of the ACA plan and rules, the pool for my plan is shrinking, so every year the price is driven up. It looks like the have extended the time my plan will be grandfathered.

If you want to check the facts, it is a BlueOptions Plan 35. (BCBS)
1-800-352-2583, when you mention plan 35, they will probably say that
is plan 5, ZH5, or some other number, they told me but I don't recall.
Non smokers, 59, 55 and 20 years old.

btw, I have opened an HSA and have fully funded it every year since 09.

The increases are worse than I show, in that I dropped my daughter off the policy, early premium costs had 4 people, the last costs have 3 people.

Mikek

0 Replies

qmavam

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
I don't have a number, but I'm already paying it. Do you think I will get a check back now that the ACA has been in effect for over two years.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 07:59 am
@qmavam,
It helps low income people because now you are directly paying for their insurance premiums. As now everyone needs to be insured someone has to pay for those that get the policies for free -- you are paying for those people.

Before these low income people did not have policies - they went directly to a hospital where the hospital would have to help them. You were paying then as well, but with all the administrative crap and the way the Obama care insurance is run, the costs are increasing thus someone has to pay so those working must cover the increased administrative nightmare this policy has become.

In additional, instead of letting smart sensible people determine what sort of insurance they would want; the government is deciding what is "quality" insurance so many previous insurance coverage that you may have been very satisified with could be considered by the government to not be of high quality so you are out of luck --- you need to chose coverage that you may feel is less quality and less fitting of your family, but the government feels is better for you (even if it costs more and has higher deductibles).
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 08:38 am
@qmavam,
qmavam wrote:

I have a good health policy for $7,700. An inferior ACA Policy is $13,800.
How does the extra $6,100 paid to the ins. co. help the uninsured?

It doesn't. It helps the insurance company.
0 Replies

qmavam

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 06:55 pm
@Linkat,
"It helps low income people because now you are directly paying for their insurance premiums. As now everyone needs to be insured someone has to pay for those that get the policies for free -- you are paying for those people."

You need to check your facts, the insurance company does not have discounted policies for low income people, there is a subsidy for them that comes from the hardworking taxpayers. Yes, I'm paying for those people, through taxes I pay to the government not the extra premium the ins.co. charges.

" you need to chose coverage that you may feel is less quality and less fitting of your family, but the government feels is better for you (even if it costs more and has higher deductibles)."

Yep, less quality and less fitting and more expensive, just what everyone needs, big brother making choices for them.

0 Replies