Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2018 09:29 pm
@nytimes
Breaking News: A federal judge struck down the Affordable Care Act, ruling that its mandate requiring people to buy health insurance was unconstitutional https://nyti.ms/2ExBbbg
Show this thread
250 replies 763 retweets 2,570 likes
Reply 250 Retweet 763 Like 2.6K Direct message
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,318 • Replies: 75

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2018 09:30 pm
Will this ruling hold?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2018 09:40 pm

Federal judge in Texas rules entire Obama health-care law is unconstitutional
A federal judge in Texas threw a dagger into the Affordable Care Act on Friday night, ruling that the entire health-care law is unconstitutional because of a recent ...

The Washington Post
2 hours ago
Trump touts ruling against ObamaCare: ‘Mitch and Nancy’ should pass new health-care law | TheHill
President Trump on Friday night touted a ruling from a federal judge in Texas striking down the Affordable Care Act as unconstitutional,

The Hill
one hour ago
A federal judge in Texas just ruled the Affordable Care Act unconstitutional
The Affordable Care Act, the signature policy achievement of President Obama and his attempt to create a de facto universal healthcare system vis-a-vis a ...

Salon
one hour ago
Federal Judge In Texas Rules Against Obamacare
The Affordable Care Act could be headed back the Supreme Court for the third time after a federal judge in Texas ruled Friday that the law is unconstitutional.

HuffPost
2 hours ago
Obamacare Thrown Out by Judge, Raising Insurance Uncertainty
Obamacare was struck down by a Texas federal judge in a ruling that casts uncertainty on insurance coverage for millions of U.S. residents. The decision Friday ...

Bloomberg
2 hours ago
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 12:40 am
'bout time they found a friendly Judge.

Sucks when it's your bull being gored, eh?
Lash

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 05:37 am
Perfect climate for universal healthcare. Just chunk off a single digit percentage of the obscene glut of our money stolen for the US military machine.
hightor

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 07:02 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:

Yeah, legal decisions shouldn't be based on the law, just shop around for a friendly judge.
Quote:

No. It sucks for the millions of people who are in danger of losing their health insurance.
revelette1

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 09:25 am
@hightor,
Hate to focus on myself, but if it is not overturned, I'll lose my insurance and I have heart disease along with many other health issues. I know lots of others who will lose their insurance too. My husband is retired, there is no way he will be able to afford to pay for my health insurance along with paying for all my subscription medicine.
revelette1

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 09:28 am
@Lash,
In the meantime, a lot of people will be doing without any health insurance at all, in a lot of cases, it will be life threatening. I am not sure Judge Roberts would uphold it, but, he might.
Lash

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 09:35 am
@revelette1,
If I were you, I’d be reaching out by phone and email to my local/state reps, demanding universal healthcare.

They won’t yank Obamacare, but it is unconstitutional, imo.

Why would you ever vote for anyone who says you’ll never get universal healthcare??
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 09:49 am
@McGentrix,
I never really liked Obamacare, from its inception. True, it helped millions to get insurance, who otherwise could get none, which made it more compassionate than the alternate Republican plan, called "**** you, losers; go off and die, you freeloading scumbags," but it didn't do enough. Universal health care is the only civilized answer to health care. Part of that civilized answer is to reform the medical/pharma industries so they charge reasonable prices for medicine and they actually should be pushed to seek cures instead of harmful symptom treatments with deadly side effects. Being a wild eyed liberal who ought to be caged, I will push for this sort of thing, but I know it will be hard to herd the congress to go in the right direction.
revelette1

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 10:00 am
@Lash,
If you are referring to the 2016 election, at the time Obamacare was not in danger at all and it was working fine for me.

Moreover, I can't really recall everything Hillary said, but I'm not sure she said we'll never have universal health care. She may have said something to the effect of, with republicans in today's political climate it was not something feasible, but it is something we could work towards. Or she may have said what you said, I don't really recall.

As for it's constitutionality, I really wouldn't know but I don't see why it would be unconstitutional because we have to buy other insurance. I know I have read the argument to that, we don't have to buy a car, (try living in the country without a car..)but you do at some point have to have medical care. You don't if you chose to just die without medical care. So I am not sure that argument holds water.

If we could get enough democrats in both houses and the WH, after so many people have experienced the advantage of Obamacare, I think it is very feasible to finally have universal health care. However, we would have to pay for it and you can't really do it on the military alone (seems there are charts, will look them up if required) so people will have to pay more in taxes. It is the way they do it in other countries. (Israel for example) People shouldn't have to chose between having a secure nation and health care. Not saying we couldn't cut down on military spending, just getting out of the wars would be a good start and necessary on it's own and for our own security.

Lash

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 10:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Well-said!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 10:10 am
@revelette1,
Do you notice how often your opinions and comments are predicated on ‘I don’t really know’, ‘I’m not really sure’?

You could know if you wanted to. You’ve been shown clips of her saying it and quotes of the text.

She was a wall between the people and the possibility of universal healthcare because she profits from the status quo. It was impossible as long as our elite lawmakers said it was and made it so.

Then Bernie Sanders hits the scene and says, “They’re lying to you. It is possible if we make it so.”

So, make it so. Vote for the right people. Demand people who want to serve the people instead of enriching themselves serving the pharmaceutical industry and the military industrial complex. Be part of your own solution.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 11:20 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

No. It sucks for the millions of people who are in danger of losing their health insurance.

You're barking up the wrong tree. True psychopaths take pride in the suffering of thousands or millions of people. It gives them a sense of (cancerous) worth no matter if their own position is also made for the worse when these catastrophes happen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 12:39 pm

Secret Victory For Medicare4All?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 01:02 pm
What the Lawless Obamacare Ruling Means

Quote:
In a shocking legal ruling, a federal judge in Texas wiped Obamacare off the books Friday night. The decision, issued after business hours on the eve of the deadline to enroll for health insurance for 2019, focuses on the so-called individual mandate. Yet it purports to declare the entire law unconstitutional — everything from the Medicaid expansion, the ban on pre-existing conditions, Medicare and pharmaceutical reforms to much, much more.

A ruling this consequential had better be based on rock-solid legal argument. Instead, the opinion by Judge Reed O’Connor is an exercise of raw judicial power, unmoored from the relevant doctrines concerning when judges may strike down a whole law because of a single alleged legal infirmity buried within.

NYT
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 01:52 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Do you notice how often your opinions and comments are predicated on ‘I don’t really know’, ‘I’m not really sure’?

You could know if you wanted to. You’ve been shown clips of her saying it and quotes of the text.

You're right, I could have looked it up to refresh myself on Hillary's exact words concerning health care, but frankly, I found it irrelevant and I don't think the focus should be on the 2016 election so I didn't bother. And I won't.
Lash

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 01:59 pm
@revelette1,
Yes, of course. Facts can be very pesky when they contradict what you prefer to believe. What happened in 2016 didn’t happen in a vacuum—the reasons for it and the results of it continue to affect the society you live in.

If you refuse to learn from it, life gets much worse from here. But, banana pudding makes it better, I hear.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 02:06 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, legal decisions shouldn't be based on the law, just shop around for a friendly judge.
Quote:

Judicial activism is a bitch. I mean I have always been against it as it's not what judges should be doing, but if it is going to continue, I am not going to complain when it agrees with my point of view.

Millions of people will be fine. They were fine before, they will be fine after.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2018 02:21 pm
@McGentrix,
When you're in a grave it's debatable if you are fine or not.
0 Replies