sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
OK. Well, it will become apparent soon enough, one way or the other.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 02:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

snood wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

He can't refuse to endorse her at this stage, or he will be pushed out of further activities. That is not proof he will stand by her after the convention ends.

Yeah, I guess there's really no telling what he'll do.
Seems such an honorable upstanding man would be easier to predict.

Insulting the man because of what I wrote is real smart.

Because of what you wrote? I said an honorable man who does the right thing should be a bit easier than Bernie is to predict right now. That statement could have been made by me regardless of anything you wrote. And thanks for your snippy comment about not being real smart. Just remember that the next time you accuse me of always starting the personal comments.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:14 pm
This article about Bernie's upcoming endorsement and supposed support thereafter highlights the tension still remaining between the two camps.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sanders-to-back-clinton-will-supporters-follow/ar-BBudE5L?li=BBnb7Kz

excerpt:
Tensions between the campaigns simmered throughout the platform meeting in a steamy hotel ballroom over two marathon days. Despite winning concessions on many issues, Sanders supporters booed angrily over losses, such as failing to get clear opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.

Near the meeting's end, Sanders backers angrily shouted down an effort to add Clinton's name to the document in a number of places, which they took as an implication that she was already the official nominee.

"To do it now is a slap in the face to us. She is not the nominee," said Diana Hatsis-Newhoff, 54, a nurse from Palm Beach, who is a Sanders delegate.
Blickers

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:03 pm
@snood,
Kinda sounds like the usual quibbling. And theoretically, Hillary is not the nominee yet, so adding her name now is probably technically premature. Obviously, some Sanders supporters are still hoping for a miracle-a lightning flash from the sky, the roof of the arena suddenly opening wide, and a voice of someone who sounds like James Earl Jones, (who's actually a Republican, but never mind), coming forth and commanding the cheering delegates to vote Bernie in.
snood

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2016 11:53 pm
@Blickers,
I've seen James Earl Jones' name on a few lists of "Celebrities you would never know are republican". But when he was asked in person about whether he is a political person, this was part of his answer:

Jones — who happened to be “voice of CNN,” quite literally — shared that he consumes as much political news as he can, particularly from MSNBC. “Can’t get enough of it,” he said. “I even venture into the right-wing talk shows sometimes.”

“Sometimes you turn to Fox?” his hosts asked.

“Nothing wrong with that,” said West. “You want to find out why people are wrong as well as right.”
http://www.mediaite.com/online/james-earl-jones-i-figured-out-the-tea-party-i-do-understand-racism/

He went on, in that interview, to talk about how the Tea Party is racist.
Doesn't sound very republican to me.
Blickers

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 07:54 am
@snood,
Couldn't see the video, but I got the point. I stand corrected, James Earl Jones is not a Republican after all.

Guess I'll have to pay less attention to those "You'd be surprised who's a Republican" articles in the future. Hmmm, I wonder who puts those "articles" out anyway-the internet is good at masking advertisements to make them look like real articles. Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:18 am
Well, I guess we'll very soon see what Bernie will do.

[edit]

Well, he's so far talking as if Clinton is not standing two feet from him - as if it's one of his regular rallies. He finally mentioned her about 5 minutes in... but just quoting statistics. Congratulating her, but not using the words "endorse" or "support" her.... Okay, finally said "I am endorsing Hillary Clinton".

Seems very reluctant to give up center stage, but we have to take what he is willing to give I guess.
sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 09:52 am
@snood,
Pretty unambiguous:

Quote:
"I have come here to make it as clear as possible why I am endorsing Hillary Clinton and why she must become our next president.”

Onward!
revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:20 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
Onward!

Agreed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:23 am
http://www.vox.com/2016/7/12/12159062/bernie-sanders-endorsement-hillary-clinton

good analysis of what happened throughout the campaign
revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:39 am
@ehBeth,
Vox is saying what fivethirtyeight said all through out the democrat primary, Bernie just did not appeal to non white voters in large enough numbers to win. PM had a piece out not that long ago which spoke to why black voters didn't feel the bern.

Quote:

When it came to most issues at the Democratic debate in Flint Sunday night, Bernie Sanders was his usual crusty, confident self. But when CNN’s Don Lemon asked a seemingly innocuous question—“What racial blind spot do you have?”—the senator from lily-white Vermont stumbled, reaching for an ancient bromide from his long-ago Brooklyn childhood. "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto, you don't know what it's like to be poor," Sanders said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/why-black-voters-dont-feel-the-bern-213707#ixzz4EDHOKdC7
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
snood

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:02 am
I think Bernie is a grandstanding old man who has nonetheless done some lasting good for the democratic party and for the country. So,

Quote:
Onward!

I agree.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:10 am
@revelette2,
It ties into the nymag piece I posted on the WWHD thread about where Bill Clinton fits into the campaign. He can work on the scared old white guy demographic while Mrs. Clinton takes on her demographic strengths.

Could have an interesting effect on the final campaign. Three old white guys (Trump/Sanders/Bill Clinton) all kind of appealing to the owg demographic while Hillary Clinton goes after everyone else. That's part of why I keep nattering on about her veep choice needing to be younger/less East Coast-affiliated.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:21 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Quote:
“What racial blind spot do you have?”

Talk about an unanswerable question.... By definition, he wouldn't know his own blindspot.
revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:47 am
@ehBeth,
You're probably right about a younger (not sure color matters?) man/woman (probably a man) to appeal to those who voted for Sanders.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:48 am
@DrewDad,
Well, Clinton gave slightly better answer to the unknowable blind spot. I guess she was just prepared for that sort of question.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:52 am
https://berniesanders.com/prepared-remarks-bernie-clinton/

Bernie Sanders wrote:
Secretary Clinton has won the Democratic nominating process, and I congratulate her for that. She will be the Democratic nominee for president and I intend to do everything I can to make certain she will be the next president of the United States.

I have come here today not to talk about the past but to focus on the future. That future will be shaped more by what happens on November 8 in voting booths across our nation than by any other event in the world. I have come here to make it as clear as possible as to why I am endorsing Hillary Clinton and why she must become our next president.

So, next question, what will the Bernie-or-busters do?
maporsche

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:02 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
So, next question, what will the Bernie-or-busters do?

Most of them will become Clinton supporters. Maybe 5% of them won't vote or will vote for someone else.

I'm going to ignore them from here on out, they're not worth anyone's time.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 01:14 pm
Here is what Bernie said today.

Quote:
All of these progressive policies were at the heart of our campaign. The truth is our movement is responsible for the most progressive Democratic platform in the history of our country. All of that is the direct result of the work that our members of the platform committee did in the meetings and that you have been doing over the last 15 months.

But none of these initiatives will happen if we do not elect a Democratic president in November. None! In fact, we will go backward. We must elect the Democratic nominee in November and progressive Democrats up and down the ballot so that we ensure that these policy commitments can advance.

The part in bold is especially important and [should be] impossible to ignore; some people really hold onto grudges though so I'm not surprised.
0 Replies