engineer

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:05 pm
@revelette2,
I disagree with that statement. Sanders has really tapered down his attacks on Clinton, focusing more on the Democratic Party and government in general. I haven't seen a direct anti-Clinton remark in a while. (Of course I could have missed one or two.)
revelette2

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:15 pm
@engineer,
I was going by the letter he sent out after Nevada, he may not have said Hillary name, but he said people have a choice. What other choice is there besides Hillary?

Quote:
The Democratic Party has a choice,” Sanders’ statement read. “It can open its doors and welcome into the party people who are prepared to fight for real economic and social change — people who are willing to take on Wall Street, corporate greed and a fossil fuel industry which is destroying this planet. Or the party can choose to maintain its status quo structure, remain dependent on big-money campaign contributions and be a party with limited participation and limited energy.”

source

I admit it is not direct, in fact it is kind of confusing as to what exactly he is saying in light of what happened.
maporsche

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:17 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I was going by the letter he sent out after Nevada, he may not have said Hillary name, but he said people have a choice. What other choice is there besides Hillary?

Quote:
The Democratic Party has a choice,” Sanders’ statement read. “It can open its doors and welcome into the party people who are prepared to fight for real economic and social change — people who are willing to take on Wall Street, corporate greed and a fossil fuel industry which is destroying this planet. Or the party can choose to maintain its status quo structure, remain dependent on big-money campaign contributions and be a party with limited participation and limited energy.”

source

I admit it is not direct, in fact it is kind of confusing as to what exactly he is saying in light of what happened.

I don't think it's confusing at all. He is saying that in at least some ways the actions of the people in Nevada are justified and he's encouraging these people to fight back against the "corrupt DNC".

It's not incitement in the purest sense, but it's definitely tacit approval.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:19 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:

I don't see this statement as inappropriate. Next year, after Hillary has been inaugurated, I hope that we are still talking about this.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:21 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
He is saying that in at least some ways the actions of the people in Nevada are justified and he's encouraging these people to fight back against the "corrupt DNC".

Do you think that the actions of the people running the Nevada DNC were appropriate? The party leaders have a responsibility to run an inclusive convention.

They did a horrible job. This doesn't excuse the threats of violence that resulted. But they have to take the blame for failing to run a good convention.
maporsche

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:27 pm
@maxdancona,
I honestly don't know if anything in Nevada is done right. I have zero experience to compare it to. Ive seen the videos from Sanders supporters. From what I understand the delegates were split to two groups, so of course the microphone that is inches from the person's mouth, in the middle of the Sanders group will be louder than the Clinton group.

I also know that Clinton won Nevada. If I've learned anything from this it's that I think Saturdays event should NEVER have happened. Clinton won the state, she gets the delegates regardless of how many show up two weeks and then a month later.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 01:38 pm
@maporsche,
I agree... and I am certainly not saying that Bernie supporters were blameless.

The DNC leadership has the responsibility to unify the party to make sure the Democratic candidate (in this case Hillary) wins the election. They had one job, to run this convention (that they knew would be contentious). They failed to do this well.

The Democrats will win if everyone does what they are supposed to do.

Bernie will wrap up his campaign and get behind Hillary after California and DC. He has already started this process (he still wants to do well in the last few states). He will continue to campaign for his issues... but he will support Hillary.

Hillary will be gracious. She will acknowledge that Bernie has a great deal of support for the voters that she will rely upon to win in November. She will work to help him continue his message (and there will be some negotiation behind the scenes on how that will work in a way that is good for both of them).

The DNC will do its job in uniting Democrats including pulling in Bernie voters.

There are only a few weeks left. This process will work and everyone will do what they need to do.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 07:10 pm
@engineer,
Me too. I was wary of both but more naturally attached to Sanders. That started to change as I didn't like his political crew, which points to future wise choices or not, thus their getting equalized re my primary vote on June 7th (no matter if it was too late or not) and did change after the Nevada episode.

I hope he handles the convention wisely but am not expecting it to be so after Nevada.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 05:47 am
There's always Trump. (My brackets)

Quote:
"Would you (Trump) take a few minutes to talk to him (Sanders) and consider him as your running mate?" she asked on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" Friday.

"Wow that's a great question," Trump said. "The one thing that Bernie Sanders and I have in common --and I do have much bigger crowds than him-- I actually do, Joe and Mika know that. He is second, I will say that. But I will say this: We have one thing very strongly in common. We know that the U.S. is being taken advantage of horribly on trade deals. The difference between Bernie and myself is, I know how to make those deals fantastic and he has no idea."

"But as your number two he could watch and learn from you?" Wallace suggested.

"He's got a lot of other things in the bag, I will tell you Nicolle and I mean this 100%. You saw that in many of the primaries. If Bernie loses --which he will because the primary is rigged-- If Bernie loses to Hillary he should run as an independent. Bernie should definitely run as an independent," Trump said.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/05/20/nicolle_wallace_asks_trump_would_you_ever_pick_sanders_as_a_running_mate.html
revelette2

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
I am sure Trump has no thought of Bernie running as an independent in the general will take away votes from Hillary thus ensuring a Trump win. I honestly do not think Sanders would run as an independent because he knows the results of that as Nader shown us. If he did, I would be shocked.

The Daily Trail: Sanders gets his first concession from the DNC
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 07:52 am
Repeating facts is not fear-mongering. The Democrats that chose McCarthy over Humphrey in 1968 helped bring about Nixon. The Dems and Independents that chose Nader over Gore in 2000 helped bring about George Bush. The Bernie voters who will write in Bernie or choose Jill Stein over Hillary could help bring about Trump. Anyone who denies that is living in somewhere other than the truth.

Bernie and Hillary: Apocalypse Now

There’s no need to paper over the disputes. Bernie is leading a movement, not just a campaign. He has taken a corrupted election system and used it honestly to move a progressive agenda, and more power to him. His people feel the outcomes deeply. But there is so much at stake, and a history of lasting splits after Democratic primaries, that it’s time for both campaigns to focus on what matters.

When these things go wrong, the consequences are, well, Apocalyptic. In 1968 I was part of the McCarthy anti-war effort. After tumultuous and horrific events, Humphrey won the nomination. The movement never quite accepted the significance of the general election and we ended up, by a whisker, with Nixon. Nixon. America would have been vastly better off with Humphrey.

In 2000, Gore was the nominee. Nader siphoned off enough progressive votes in enough states to throw the election to Bush. Bush. Iraq, Afghanistan and the Supreme Court. American would have been vastly better off with Gore.

We face the same fearsome outcome now. A percentage of Bernie-ites have announced they will never support Hillary. Hillary, at her worst, is competent, decent and reasonably progressive. No need to ignore the character and policy concerns. But there is no reasonable argument about the choice. Trump? Really?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-brodsky/bernie-and-hillary-apocal_b_10058986.html
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 08:29 am
@snood,
I believe you have reason to be concerned. Revolutions usually maintain momentum under authoritarian rule, not middle of the road, don't rock the boat mentality. The reality might just be that the Democratic party has become like the old Studebaker, which end was the front, which end was the back?
revelette2

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 08:36 am
@Foofie,
I truly think if the DNC work with Bernie Sanders and recognize he is a power too large to ignore and give him concessions and a speaking slot at the convention and make sure he is head of some committees in the senate if we should be so fortunate to win back the senate, Bernie will do all his in power to hold back the more rabid of his supporters, The question is, will he be able to hold them back? He has whipped them up all season and has tactically supported their actions while tepidly denouncing all forms of violence and intimidation after Nevada.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 10:15 pm
@revelette2,
I think it takes a lot of gall for an independent to tell the dem. party who will be the head of the dem's. He is after all still an independent.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 10:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I liked his statement the other day about his followers who used threats. He said it was unforgivable "BUT", the "BUT" usually precedes an excuse, and he did not disappoint .

Mostly, everything before the word But can be disregarded.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:33 pm
I would like to think that Sanders' supporters are not hooked by a cult of personality (That Bernie could be the core of any cult boggles the mind) and if he, in effect, betrays them and endorses Clinton, they won't just follow like a herd of sheep. I disagree with just about everything they are promoting but I do like to see people rally around ideas, and not cynical, lying politicians.
snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Were the 72(or so)% of Hillary people that were vowing never to support Obama "sheep" for by and large coming to the Obama camp?
Blickers

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
I would like to think that Sanders' supporters are not hooked by a cult of personality (That Bernie could be the core of any cult boggles the mind) and if he, in effect, betrays them and endorses Clinton, they won't just follow like a herd of sheep. I disagree with just about everything they are promoting but I do like to see people rally around ideas, and not cynical, lying politicians.

Or, stated another way, you would like to see about 40% of the Democratic party go to a minor party or stay home this election. Very Happy
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:21 pm
@snood,
I don't know. You tell me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:23 pm
@Blickers,
A side benefit for sure, but not the primary motivator.
0 Replies