Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 06:37 pm
@sozobe,
Good deal, then.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 07:15 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Bernie? He hasn't officially done anything yet but unofficially it looks like it's happening early next week.

Well since all the outward trappings of why he has been waiting are taken care of, I'm still curious about how he does it. IMO a lukewarm, reluctant tone when endorsing would say something about this man's character. Here's hoping he can big it up a bit.
revelette2

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 01:41 pm

Bernie Sanders Defeated on Trade in Democratic Platform Fight

ORLANDO, Fla. — In a major defeat during an otherwise fruitful process for him, Bernie Sanders failed to get strong language opposing the Trans-Pacific Partnership inserted in the draft Democratic platform at a party meeting here Saturday.

Instead, the committee approved an amendment backed by organized labor that called for tough restrictions on trade deals, but did not explicitly oppose the trade pact with a dozen Pacific Rim nations that liberals say would hurt workers.

Sanders will now have to decide whether he wants to use a parliamentary mechanism to push the issue to a fight on the floor of the Democratic National Convention later this month in Philadelphia.

"We are very disappointed," said Sanders top policy adviser Warren Gunnells. "The good news is that virtually everyone who spoke during the debate on trade made it clear that they opposed this unfettered free trade agreement."

Both Sanders and Hillary Clinton oppose the TPP, but the Obama administration supports it.

Establishment Democrats, including organized labor, sought to avoid embarrassing the president by allowing language in the party platform that would directly oppose the deal.

They succeeded Saturday morning by twice voting down stronger opposition language as Sanders supporters booed and chanted "sellout." Some eventually walked out of the meeting entirely.

Many doubted Clinton's opposition to the TPP and saw her delegates' votes here as a sign she intends to backtrack on the deal once she no longer needs liberals' votes.

The actual terms of the debate were often obfuscated on Clinton's side, however, as no one speaking on behalf of the labor-backed amendment mentioned offending the president. Instead, they simply said their amendment went far enough or claimed adding anti-TPP language would make the plank too narrow, since it wouldn't mention future trade deals.

"We've had no speech here in favor of TPP, but we can't bring ourselves to say we oppose TPP," said Sanders delegate Robert Kraig.

But it was clear as a string of trade union presidents lined up at the microphone to oppose the Sanders amendments that his forces were outmatched.

The White House had been making calls to delegates urging them to hold the line and mobilized the full force of the Democratic Party to help squash the Sanders rebellion.

Sanders controls about 70 votes of the 187-member committee, with Clinton controlling about 100 and the remainder being appointees of the Democratic National Committee. Sanders needed about 20 extra votes to pass anything, but both the Clinton campaign and the DNC were whipping members to oppose stronger anti-TPP language.

Most votes occurred along party lines, with a handful of defections on both sides depending on the vote.

AFSCME President Lee Saunders, acting on behalf of most major labor unions, proposed the amendment that ultimately succeeded in being added to the draft platform, over the objection of Sanders allies.

The 452-word amendment, which labor leaders felt went as far as possible without running afoul of the White House, lays out numerous restrictions desired for trade deals. But it does not oppose the TPP, leading to objection from Sanders' team.

"We need to leave no doubts," said Sanders surrogate Nina Turner, a former Ohio state senator.

Former NAACP Chairman Ben Jealous, a Sanders ally, tried to add a secondary amendment to Saunders' that simply added the language "and that's why we oppose the Trans-Pacific Partnership." But it was voted down on a near party-line vote, 106-74.

Jealous warned that Donald Trump could outflank Democrats on trade, claiming the Republican Party could include stronger language against the TPP than Democrats in their platform.

A final Sanders amendment, proposed by activist Jim Hightower, failed 104-77.

The first draft of the platform, produced by 15-member working group, essentially punted on trade. That left plenty of room for non-Sanders forces to argue they had made major additions to the platform.

But after going all in on the clear anti-TPP language, it will be difficult for Sanders to spin the outcome as a victory.

He did, however, secure a major victory Friday in getting support for a $15 minimum wage added to the draft platform and will likely walk away with more concessions by the time the meeting concludes Saturday night. And that comes in addition to wins Sanders allies secured in the first draft.

Meanwhile, in a show of unity just as debate was kicking off on trade in Orlando, the Clinton campaign released a health care plan it created in coordination with Sanders' campaign.

In a conference call with reporters, Sanders congratulated Clinton on the plan and praised it as an "extremely important initiative."

Earlier in the day in Orlando, DNC chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz pleaded for unity. "The only thing that can keep us from winning is if we lose sight of the fact that more unites us than divides us," she said.

Sanders is expected to endorse Clinton on Tuesday in New Hampshire, taking a major step towards that goal.

But he still has to decide if he'll force a floor vote on trade or other issues though at the convention through a so-called minority report process.

If he does, it could reopen this contentious issue on a much bigger stage.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 04:35 pm
@snood,
Right, I know what you mean. I think he'll be able to, he has a lot of fodder and probably will not only hit the usual populist notes but do a lot of denouncing of Trump and his racist, inflammatory rhetoric to put it all in the context of the awful stuff that's happened this past week.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 05:32 pm
According to some, Bernie has not endorsed Hillary.
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13600002_553427594860958_7047717679234870501_n.jpg?oh=09459d1e9c750a05f2a227aa63ad88aa&oe=582FDEBB
roger

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 06:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
What the heck does ". . . IS NOT ALLOWED TO DENY A ENDORSEMENT OF ANOTHER CAMPAIGN" supposed to mean. Bernie can't deny an endorsement of Hilary's campaign? Is that supposed to affirm such an endorsement?

Anyway, I think it should be 'an endorsement', not 'A endorsement'.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 06:09 pm
@roger,
I got it! If Hilary endorses his campaign, he cannot refuse to be endorsed.
Blickers

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 06:27 pm
@roger,
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13600002_553427594860958_7047717679234870501_n.jpg?oh=09459d1e9c750a05f2a227aa63ad88aa&oe=582FDEBB
We should consider a law mandating prison sentences for graphic designers who make a poster or graphic on the internet so incoherent it's indecipherable.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
According to some, Bernie has not endorsed Hillary.

What do you mean "According to some"? Of course he "has not endorsed Hillary" yet. It's been reported all over the place that he plans on formally endorsing this coming Tuesday.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 08:18 pm
@snood,
He can't refuse to endorse her at this stage, or he will be pushed out of further activities. That is not proof he will stand by her after the convention ends.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 09:08 pm
@snood,
I hope your right Snood. But I have my doubts. He was denied his stop the trade agreement and may do like he did when Hillary tried to get national health care in 1993. He wanted single payer ins. and when it was negotiated away in order to get enough voted to pass it he did a 180 and was against it. He will do the no compromise thing again. Granted he wasent the only one but he was one of the ones that caused national health care to be put aside for 15 years. He is almost a no compromise republican.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2016 11:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
No, he's telegraphed clear movement.

There is also this series of tweets (posted at about noon on Saturday):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm99QWNUEAA9jBL.jpg
revelette2

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 05:37 am
@sozobe,
It wouldn't matter if he came all out very enthusiastically and supported Hillary before, during and after the convention. The more hard core of the Bernie Sander's movement says it is not about Bernie Sanders, or just one man...they will not come around no matter what the consequences of not doing will cost.
Blickers

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 08:50 am
@revelette2,
Depends what you mean by "hard core". Don't forget a certain percentage of the people on social media who ostensibly support Bernie are actually trying to get Trump elected by maximizing dissatisfaction with Hillary. So you can't go by what you read on message boards and twitter exchanges. There is much manipulation there.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 09:36 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

He can't refuse to endorse her at this stage, or he will be pushed out of further activities. That is not proof he will stand by her after the convention ends.

Yeah, I guess there's really no telling what he'll do.
Seems such an honorable upstanding man would be easier to predict.
sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:56 am
@revelette2,
It will matter, but will have less of an effect than if he'd done it earlier. This is not to say that he's negatively impacted Hillary's support by the time the convention rolls around, but that many of the people who would have been influenced by his endorsement had it been several weeks ago have already come around to supporting Hillary even without it.

There is a contingent of Bernie supporters who just won't support Hillary no matter what, but that's a pretty small contingent.

And what I'm seeing on social media (not scientific, but generally backed up by polls) is that the people who were strong Bernie supporters who have come around to supporting Hillary are now arguing with the strong Bernie supporters who refuse to vote for her.

I think that Bernie wanted to get as many concessions as possible before conceding, and I think he did that. So I can't really begrudge him for that even though I personally found the whole process annoying. At this point he's not going to have a huge impact on bringing people to Hillary -- it should help at least a little though. And there should be a bump in her support just over the fact that it's all finally over and decided.
engineer

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 10:57 am
@sozobe,
I still think he could make a big impact by campaigning to get out the vote. If he doesn't want to campaign directly for Clinton, he could campaign down ballot.
sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 11:00 am
@engineer,
Yep, he can definitely make an impact there. Hope he does it enthusiastically. I tend to think yes but I'm not sure if he has the patience for that… if he continues to draw big enthusiastic young crowds, then it's more likely. If it's boring meet and greets with local bigwigs, not so much.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 12:47 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Yeah, I guess there's really no telling what he'll do.
Seems such an honorable upstanding man would be easier to predict.

Insulting the man because of what I wrote is real smart.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2016 12:48 pm
Wayne Pruski, contacted the Sanders campaign in regards to the rumors. Here is the response he received.
Proof that Bernie "Hillary endorsement" rumor started by mis-information........
I contacted the campaign and received the following response:
"Hello Wayne and thanks for your heartfelt note and for sharing your thoughts with us --- we will most certainly pass them on. We particularly appreciate your using the word "rumored" in your note because, as you know, this has been "rumored" countless times before.
You may have noticed more than once, that the media does not always accurately reflect what Bernie puts forth. At this time, Bernie is focused on creating the most progressive democratic platform possible https://berniesanders.com/…/sanders-outlines-next-steps-de…/ and on attending the democratic national convention in Philly later this month with his 1900 delegates. He remains an active candidate. In fact, he reiterated this in a TV interview yesterday in which he was asked repeatedly if he would endorse.
Thanks so much for your continued support --- it is genuinely appreciated.
No one ever said that staging a political revolution would be easy. Thanks for standing with Bernie. It matters."
Kris