snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I only ask because you characterized Bernie followers who would follow his lead in supporting Clinton as such. Maybe I should've asked - why do you characterize those Bernie voters as "sheep"?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:40 pm
@snood,
Well the alternative is calling them schmucks without principles.

I can understand, without appreciating, why a lifelong politician would give up his crusade to preserve his portion of power.

Presumably the Sanders supporters who despise Clinton for whatever set of reasons have reached that opinion based on measured thought, not mob-think.

If all it takes for them to make a 180 degree turn is for their fearless leader to feather his political nest, they are little more than sheep.
snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why couldn't their "measured thought" lead them to believe that if their principled, noble leader sees merit in another candidate, they should consider it also?

We could go on and on, but it's still just speculation. No one really can know the motives someone would have for a decision like whether to follow their candidates lead after conceding the nomination. We can extrapolate from our own POV and ascribe any motives we choose onto them.

That's why I used the Hillary-to-Obama voters as an example. You don't say they too were sheep, blindly following their leader Hillary. You say you don't know. But the Bernie switchers would be sheep. Doesn't seem consistent.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 04:08 pm
@snood,
I don't recall the Clinton supporters expressing such visceral distaste for Obama as the Sanders supporters express for Clinton.

You have stake in this game. You want Sanders supporters to come around to Clinton. I don't want to see her as president so I hope they don't but I don't think they will, ultimately, make a difference. She will win or lose with or without them.

I also don't want Trump to be president so I'm sort of screwed this year. My desires are not advanced if all Sanders supporters stay home. One way or the other someone very bad for this nation is going to become president.

If you go on and on about how corrupt and despicable a candidate is and then at the last minute you change your mind and support her because Bernie has recognized on which side of the political bread his butter is spread, then you are a drone, a ewe, a castrated ram, a person without principles.

BTW - I suggest you dial it back a bit with your Clinton fervor. At best you could persuade a half dozen Berners to vote for her and in the mean time you are pissing a lot of people off.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 04:35 pm
@snood,
He will run as an independent because he is the only human on earth who knows how to govern properly.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 04:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I will give your advice it's due consideration.
Blickers

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
I don't recall the Clinton supporters expressing such visceral distaste for Obama as the Sanders supporters express for Clinton.

Maybe. Don't forget there is a movement underway among conservatives to pretend to cheer for Sanders so he will either win and present the Republicans with an easier candidate, or splinter the party so the Republican candidate, however flawed, gets in.

So we don't know which among the Sanders or bust hardliners were genuine Hillary Haters from way back, which are Republican imposters trying to drive Sanders supporters into deciding never to vote for Hillary, and which are genuine Sanders supporters who have been, at least temporarily, swayed by the Republican tricksters. As the election nears and the prospect of Trump becoming presidential looms ever larger, we will see most Sanders supporters get over it and likely vote for Hillary.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 12:18 am
@snood,
Don't take too long, other people want to use the lavatory.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 06:27 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Were the 72(or so)% of Hillary people that were vowing never to support Obama "sheep" for by and large coming to the Obama camp?

Closer to 40%.
revelette2

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 06:33 am
@DrewDad,
The question remains, were the Hillary people in 2008 who vowed to not vote for Obama who changed their minds and voted for him considered sheep the same as Finn alleges any bernieorbust people would be if they changed their minds on election day and vote for Hillary. If not, why not?

0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 11:40 am
Thought this bore repeating...
Bernie Sanders Is Losing Fair and Square

Hillary Clinton is winning the Democratic primary fair and square by the same rules by which she lost to Barack Obama in 2008. She won the recent contest in Nevada for the same simple reason she’s winning overall: She got more votes. That’s not “establishment” - that’s democracy.
<snip>
What’s sold as a “political revolution” looks more and more like just another power trip. Bernie and Jane Sanders are high on crowds and crowdfunding, and through the haze it’s crystal clear why virtually none of Sanders’ colleagues in the capital support him. It’s not because he’s “anti-establishment.” It’s because he’s an angry, unreasonable man with a chip on his shoulder as big as the state of Maine.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cynthia-dill/bernie-sanders-is-losing-_b_10100364.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 12:48 pm
@Blickers,
That has to be one of the more insulting comments about Sanders supporters that I've read in this exchange. Incredibly paranoid as well.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 01:49 pm
@Blickers,
That definitely happened over here, lots of Tories tried to effect the Labour leadership, thousands of applications were rejected. They thought Corbyn was a vote loser, so that's who they wanted. I think Corbyn would have won anyway, his vote was so big, but the jury's still out on whether he can win the next election.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 07:58 pm
@Blickers,
Karl Rove has certainly put some energy into that project. Not at all surprising.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

You don't remember this?

revelette2

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 06:49 am
@maxdancona,
One Person, that same video is dredged up in all of these discussions.
maporsche

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 06:52 am
@revelette2,
Usually by max. He's got it bookmarked somewhere.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:01 am
Which video shows that despite some hard feelings on the part of some Clinton supporters, all the Democrats came together and won in 2008. So there's no reason, despite the hopes and efforts of some Democratic opponents, that it shouldn't happen again.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:24 am
@revelette2,
Would you really like more videos? Do you really not remember the PUMAs? Things were pretty nasty in 2008, complete with racial overtones.

Bernie supporters are pretty tame compared to Hillary supporters in 2008. Hillary supporters want to exaggerate so they can shut progressive values from the convention.

Making up stories about Bernie supporters throwing chairs is pretty sleazy.
engineer

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:27 am
@revelette2,
That's the most famous (infamous?) video, but there are plenty of others and there are some PUMA websites still active. Some PUMA activists are Clinton supporters today, some have taken their anti- President Obama fervor and become Republicans, a few came around in the end.

Article from 2015 on what happened to the PUMAs.
0 Replies