Lash

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:28 pm
Bernie supporters aren't property to be delivered.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 07:24 pm
Sarah Silverman just got interrupted by people chanting "Bernie!".

Her response? "I just want to say to the Bernie of Bust people - You're being ridiculous!"

Thank, you, Sarah.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:42 pm
@snood,
Snood,

Bernie said everything that Hillary wanted him to say. Can you stop this mindless hatred of Bernie now?

You are as obsessed as any Bernie Bro. I am sure that Sarah Silverman would tell you that you are being ridiculous.

(queue Paul Simon....)

snood

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 06:05 am
Amazing. Even Bernie himself isn't pure enough for the Berner dead enders now.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 06:37 am
@maxdancona,
Sanders made a clear and unequivocal statement. His partisans had their night and made their feelings known. My guess is that after the impressive speeches last night that just about everyone will settle down. Assuming I'm right, I see it as a win-win. The Sanders folks got to express their opinions and blow off some steam, the Clinton folks got to hear some very nice endorsements of their candidate and hopefully everyone can be Team Clinton from here on out.
snood

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:06 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Sanders made a clear and unequivocal statement. His partisans had their night and made their feelings known. My guess is that after the impressive speeches last night that just about everyone will settle down. Assuming I'm right, I see it as a win-win. The Sanders folks got to express their opinions and blow off some steam, the Clinton folks got to hear some very nice endorsements of their candidate and hopefully everyone can be Team Clinton from here on out.

If they get through the roll call vote without melting down, I'll get optimistic.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:32 am
@engineer,
He did finally get to making the clear and sincere statement of support of Hillary Clinton, it just took some time get there, but we did there and that is what matters. I don't think it is going to move all the Sanders delegates although one young lady said some elegant remarks about a relationship which led me to think, she might be open to supporting and voting for Hillary if she knew more about her on the issues.
snood

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:35 am
@revelette2,
What are they going to discover in the next couple of months that they haven't in the last year?
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:45 am
@snood,
Blatham interviewed or was around some of them last night, he explained it well on the Hillary thread he usually post on. I think some of them are young and unexperienced and sort of lived in a bubble for the last year.
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:08 am
@revelette2,
Obviously I meant inexperienced.
Blickers

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:25 am
@revelette2,
Actually, I think Blatham was watching the interviews of the Bernie delegates from California that were on TV after Bernie's speech, as opposed to interviewing them himself. The delegates were three women who appeared to be in their twenties: Hispanic, African American and white. The Hispanic woman looked pretty set to go third party, she was convinced that Clinton won't ever sincerely come over to her view on poverty, etc. The African American woman was leaning against voting for Hillary but was going to wait and see if Hillary can convince her-the interviewer tried to guide her into saying she was not going to vote for Hillary but she resisted, repeating that she wanted to see more of what Hillary says. The white woman seemed the most anti-Hillary, she didn't think Bernie's speech counted for anything and complained that outside of Bernie himself at 10:30 PM, all the speakers were Hillary's people, even though almost half the delegates to the convention were for Bernie. So she didn't like the whole shebang from the start.
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:13 am
@Blickers,
I always seem to miss things like that, thanks for correcting me. From reading his posts, I just formed the impression he was there, didn't read it closely enough obviously.

Anyway, your take was pretty much mine, I found the black woman the most eloquent comparing elections to relationships. I have never looked at it from that point.

(edit)

I went back and realized I didn't read his first post regarding this, if I had, I would have known he watched it as opposed to being there.

http://able2know.org/topic/275175-404
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 03:37 pm
This, from the Washington Post:

Wasserman Schultz also remained in Philadelphia, showing up Tuesday morning at a brunch hosted by lobbyist Heather Podesta and packed with lawmakers and top Democratic players.

Making a mockery of the one thing the Berners, no doubt, are proud of: Ending the influence of the conniving DWS.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 03:45 pm
When DWS goes low, Hillary goes hire.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 06:31 pm
@Brand X,
Good one
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:25 pm
I'm just gonna put this here because I don't want to antagonize various friends and family who have supported or are still supporting Bernie (as I would if I put it on Facebook or Twitter) (yeah, I don't care about antagonizing y'all! Smile )

Bernie's been doing great. He really came through and has done a fine job. He's whole-hearted and passionate and doing everything he can. All pure thumbs-up-ness about that. Not surprising, still impressive.

But this is also the same guy who created this situation. He pushed the illegitimate/ rigged button over and over and over again. That leaves his supporters with only three options.

- He's a basically good, honest guy who has valid concerns and started reasonably enough but got caught up in things, and then came back down to earth. (This is my own opinion.)

- He never actually believed those things about Hillary Clinton/ the system and was just trying to fire up the base to win. (Therefore it's easy for him to just turn around and support Hillary after all.)

- He still actually believes those things about Hillary Clinton/ the system, but is lying now to try to preserve some sort of power, or because he's being coerced, or something.

The people in the first group have probably already come around to supporting Hillary, before his endorsement or convention heroics. But it's not surprising that there are people in the two other groups, and he does bear responsibility there IMO.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:36 pm
@sozobe,
I see a fourth possibility Sozobe.

- There are some positives and some negatives about Hillary Clinton. The positives and negatives are both true. When Sanders was running against Clinton, he focused on the negatives. Now that the primaries are over and they are both on the same side he is focusing on the positives.

The system is rigged. Hillary is the best person to move the country forward. They can both be true.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:57 pm
@sozobe,
I appreciate the balance Bernie must have had to try to strike - between continuing to express the passions of his 'revolution', and pivoting to support Hillary. It can't be easy for any of them, for several reasons. They lost, and it's never easy to lose, but this one had millions of people pouring their hearts and souls into it for over a year so the loss can't be easy to take. They really had a vision for a better way of doing things that they thought only Bernie could pull off, and the disappointment has to be almost disorienting in its heaviness.

I am not without empathy for Bernie and for those who he championed. But I am concerned about how they will all choose to accommodate the reality we are living in - today. Bernie made an admirable turn, and I gained some respect for him when he did that. The majority of his crowd have already absorbed the blow and begun to contemplate how best to marshal their energies to fight another day. And they have accepted that voting for Hillary is a much better way to approach continuing the fight than allowing a volatile madman like Trump to ascend to power.

But some seem stuck in a loop of accusations and bitter complaints. I see they have reason to be upset, but I haven't yet been able to decipher whether they are thinking at all past making their heartfelt outcry heard.

Bernie said it. The choice now is between electing Hillary or living forever in regret after our children have to survive in a country with a Trump administration. That isn't an attempt at fear-mongering; it's just a statement of cold fact.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 07:06 pm
I think Bernie has had it with Clinton.

Too little, too late.

http://observer.com/2016/11/bernie-sanders-abandons-clinton-in-final-week/
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 07:17 pm
@Lash,
more from Mr. Trump's son-in-law?

great neutral source there

http://observer.com/about/