Pet names for pets

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 06:10 am
<snort>

oh dear, Shorty must be quite a vision.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:16 pm
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cure a dog of barking at and wanting to chase cars. My little fellow only weights ten pounds, spunkier than hell and not afraid of a big car or a big truck etc. I cannot let him off-leash or I'm afriad he'll get run over. Punishment or scolding does'nt do a darn bit of good. But he could go under a wheel and be gone in a heartbeat.

worried in Paradise.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:19 pm
No help that I know of, seaglass. My Maggie weighs about the same ~ ten pounds ~ but, she's unstoppable. Doesn't have a clue what 'scolding' is.....could actually care less.

Installing the fence was the best investment the ex and I made ~ into keeping Maggie alive. She has worn a trench all along it from 'chasing' the cars as best she can behind the fence.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:12 am
Since our neighbors moved back to the mainland and took their dog, old pooch doesn't wander as far. I let him off-leash when I am working in the yard and he and the siamese cat have a great old time playing. Put pooch on the leash for a walk yesterday and the cat went with us.

I live in a very quiet cul de sac so I don't bet the traffic there. I just have to be careful. The dog hates the sound of engines. Cars, low flying airplanes, lawn mowers etc.

As you say Rae I just have to be careful.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 07:08 am
Back in Late November, I found a teeny kitten in a building we were going to implode. It was stuck on a ledge in the elevator shaft overlying a big pool of water in a sub basement. It took us a while and about 4 construction guys and me to get the kitten out. We named it Lucky , but , as its been growing, its developed into a definite Siamese mix. Its a lithe small kitty who has gotten the neatest meow, its sort of an OHHHH NOOOO. So weve changed its name to Mr Bill.(its a female but , we will fix that in a few weeks)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 03:12 pm
Farmerman, Lucky Mr. Bill. I'm glad the kitty was found and rescued. You're a good guy.

Speaking of Bills and gender, I once had a parakeet named Billie Boy. We knew for certain that we made a gender error in name selection when she started laying eggs. I loved that boid.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 03:21 pm
Our cockatiel just laid a four egg omelet.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 03:25 pm
cjhsa, Congratulations! Does this make you a grandparent? Or just an egg eater?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 03:55 pm
She's sitting on them - has no idea they're duds. She's very funny - if you put your hand inside the cage when she's on the eggs, she'll jump up hissing, wings spread. Then she stops, realizes who the hand belongs to, and happily hops on.

Since she won't relieve herself when she's on the eggs, you have to be careful when you get her out. She can really make a mess. I've taken to putting her in the shower after I get her out. She seems to know why - after she goes she'll come flying back out to her cage. Smile
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 04:30 pm
Forgive me if someone has mentioned this-- Didn't Stephen Wright name his dog "Stay?" So that he could say, "Come here, stay!"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 04:48 pm
cj, Does it have cheese in it? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:10 pm
It will. I made a trip up to Oakville Grocery at Stanford just to get some real, sharp English cheddar. Smile j/k...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:28 pm
yummmmm.... Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 01:12 am
Hmm, I stop in my travels at Oakville Grocery in Healdsburg...but,to come back to the thread subject, they have rabbits on their designer aprons...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 03:37 am
cjhsa, My parakeet also sat on unfertilized eggs. Bummer.

Equus, That Stephen Wright is such a card.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:12 pm
Just an update, the bird finally gave up on her duds. We removed them, one at a time, over four days. She didn't care. Relieved would be more like it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:09 am
cjhsa, What a gentle and kind approach to egg removal. Probably too late for an omelet.

Thanks for the update.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:17 am
our turtles have produced eight unfertilized eggs, rushed, at least for the first five, to an incubator scene... to no avail.

and today's bad news, awah, Pacco has gained two pounds. Now known as Chunko the Magnifico........

and who is at fault but moi....
sigh.
j
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:08 am
Osso, beware more weight than the knees can bare without snapping their innards (of the knees, that is). That is how we lost our dear girl, Alex. And she wasn't all that overweight. But a mixed breed may end up with the wrong infrastructure to support other parts. (sigh)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:50 am
Yes, I know weight is a problem for him. He isn't mixed breed, but he does have a long back and weight is not easy on it. I do watch it, will have to watch harder.
0 Replies