OUR FRIEND HAS LEFT US

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:05 pm
At some time between 3:30 and 4:30 this afternoon, our little girl dog, Cleo, died. This morning, she was barking because she was upstairs alone, so i brought her downstairs. At one point i let her outside at the back, and although she wasn't up to going down the steps, she stood on the stoop and looked around in the sunlight, scented the wind, and listened to the little birds. Later, i propped open the front door, and she lay down in the sunshine there for a while. The Girl took a half day, and came home. After lunch, i went upstairs to the back bedroom, more or less the library, and the girl dog was upset because she didn't know where i was. The Girl brought her up and Cleo lay down on the floor by the day bed where i was reading. She got up and moved a couple of times, and then sometime after 3:00 p.m., she gave up the ghost. I have a big hole in my heart right now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 46 • Views: 31,930 • Replies: 425

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:11 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sorry, Setanta.
I'm sorry, Beth.
And Bailey.
Peaceful, but not easy.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
So sorry to hear this. I know you both love your dogs very much.

She had a good life and was where she wanted to be at the end.

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:15 pm
Thanks, Osso. Yes, Butterfly, she laid down to sleep for the last time just where she wanted to be.
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:17 pm
@Setanta,
Our dogs and cats are like members of the family. I'm truly sorry for your loss. I've not had a dog since I got married decades ago, but my sister once had a Great Pyrenees that I just loved. He treated my younger daughter like a lost sheep. I miss that dog to this day. So, I know how you feel. You have my sincerest condolences.

Take care.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:19 pm
Thank you.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:33 pm
Beth and Set (and Bailey)

So sad to hear of the loss of Cleo.

Thinking about you.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:39 pm
Thanks, Darlin' . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:40 pm
@Setanta,
Lovely that she went so peacefully surrounded by love.

Nothing ever makes it easier, though, I know.

Will be thinking of all of you in your sorrow.

Wondering how Bailey is making sense of it all?

How old was she, Set?
boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:52 pm
<Gulp.

Sniff.>

Words fail me. I know how much your dogs mean to you and I know how awful it feels when they go. It sounds like the sweet girl had a lovely last day.

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:53 pm
@dlowan,
She was between 14 and 15 years old. We have put her in her dog bed and put her in a chair on the porch for now. Mr. Bailey has gone over to the chair and sniffed several times, as though he doesn't really understand. It will take time.

You are very kind, Miss Wabbit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 03:56 pm
@boomerang,
Yes, she had a good day. I had been often thinking lately of the time about a year and half ago which was the last time she ran free--on a soccer pitch at a nearby school. I was glad today that she got outside for a little while, and laid in the sunshine on the front porch.

Thanks Boomer.
Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:00 pm
@Setanta,
Oh Beth & HIM... so very, very sorry... (((((((((hugs))))))))

just so sorry for your loss, darlin'.

<no words, just wishes of peace for you both>
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:08 pm
@Izzie,
Thank you, Darlin' . . . i know The Girl will be glad to see this.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:13 pm
@Setanta,
So sorry to hear this. She's been a part of all our lives for over a decade.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:16 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Boss . . . yes, her image has been here for a long, long time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:39 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, I know how this hurts. She was where she wanted to be.

If there is any sort of post-existence reward, I firmly believe dogs are far more likely to get it than we are. Hugs to all.
Letty

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 04:55 pm
and to think that I just played a healing song for her on the radio thread, Setanta.

I'll never have another pet. When they die, it's like losing a child.

more sniffles for that fabulous dog.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:10 pm
Thank you friends ... ((( A2k family )))

Roger is right. Miss Cleo came to live with me just before we all came to A2K. One of my last Abuzz threads was about introducing a new dog into the household.

She has been Setanta's avatar for a long time. She really was his little dog love. There were some things she only let me do - bathe her - carry her these last few days - but she was Setanta's very loving little red-headed shadow pretty much from the very first time she met him.

We've worked hard to make sure she's been comfortable and safe as she lost her sight over the past year and a half, and since she really started her decline a couple of weeks ago. She gave a lot of love to us and deserved nothing less in return.

0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:44 pm
I am so sorry for your loss.