The rules are changing, we are going to start showing the assholes the door

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 07:54 pm
A2K has generally taken a very laissez faire approach to moderation, seeking to be very permissive in what we allow. The main reason for this was that it sought to be the marketplace of ideas.

The main thing A2K got wrong, was misunderstanding what the global marketplace of ideas is. I sought to make a single monolithic community when in reality society works with communities of communities and it is not reasonable to expect things to just work themselves out at large scale. Beyond the natural capacity of a close community (see research like the Dunbar number etc) civility has always broken down on A2K, each and every time. I have never minded that (and still don't) so that has always been fine. But if this community is to survive the next five years it will need to revitalize itself, and right now the assholes are keeping the majority away. This is going to change.

With the new platform coming, where A2K will merely be one community in a community of communities, we no longer have to make A2K as unregulated a marketplace of ideas as it currently is. The platform itself will be able to cater even more to free speech without each individual community having to do so, and that's good news because A2K no longer has to cede the community to the assholes anymore.

This does not mean unpopular people or opinions are unwelcome. It means a repeated pattern of boorish behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. There are plenty of people here who express unpopular ideas without being an asshole about it.

When the new platform is here anyone will be free to do pretty much whatever they want (as long as it's legal) on our platform and it will become a much more unregulated marketplace of ideas, this will allow each community to set it's own standards for inclusion (and by extension, exclusion and censorship).

I have always been viscerally against exclusion, and still am. I hope that we do not have to kick anyone out as a result of these changes and that everyone who is having a hard time acting like a decent human being on A2K can raise their own standards of behavior for the sake of the community, but if not we are not going to tolerate it anymore.

EDIT: The current Able2Know Content Policy can be seen at the A2K Rules page. See also this blog post: Talking rules.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 53 • Views: 58,843 • Replies: 1,429

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:04 pm
Some will inevitably ask what exactly this means. It's simple: don't be a shithead. Follow the spirit of this and don't try to split hairs about what that means. I will still seek for A2K to err on the side of inclusiveness and will arbitrate this as fairly as I can, but I understand that some will not agree with my goal or the interpretation thereof. That is why the new platform will let anyone create their own community and run it their way.
Barry The Mod

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Your playing field - your rules mate :-)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:22 pm
@Barry The Mod,
The nice thing about the upcoming change to a community of communities is that anyone can do it their way too. But ultimately each community needs to be run some way, and not all will agree with it. I am looking forward to seeing what communities others make and how they run them, I think it will be interesting to have more options.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:26 pm
bm
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:34 pm
From my POV, I welcome that change.

Counting down...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:34 pm
Mookbark
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:38 pm
tubebark
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:53 pm
Going by the title, I guess "assholes" is still okay. Do I need a new way to tell someone to go have intercourse with hizzorherself?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 08:57 pm
@roger,
We aren't going to kick people out for isolated outbursts, whatever their wording. At most those posts will be removed.

However a pattern of abusive behavior is not going to be tolerated. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 09:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
this will be very welcomed, and thank you
roger

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 09:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Good, and thank you.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 09:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
That is why the new platform will let anyone create their own community and run it their way.

Kewl! Imma git me my own damn community, sho nuff! It will just be me and a few homeys, like...uh....well....ya see, it's like this here...yeah, like I said, just me!
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
FBM

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 09:52 pm
I like where this thread is going. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/cheer.gif
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 10:25 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
this will be very welcomed,

Holler at them Not Able 2 Know exiles will ya?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2015 11:39 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

this will be very welcomed, and thank you

(I would love to see you here again regularly...even if i don't make the cut)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 12:02 am
I remember when I first heard the word shithead - it was in San Diego in the seventies.
Of course, I still like it as a word.

Carry on with your ideas, please.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 01:25 am
@Robert Gentel,
I can see the first few of my ever so slightly unmoderated rooms already:

Crosswords CrosSwords

Religious Proselyteasers

Physics Without Mathematics

Inestimable Opinions

Who's Cooking

Then all I'll have to wonder about is not why the drive by shooters will shoot but what the new attractions will be and who and how many will they attract.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 01:30 am
I'm wondering if we can view all these groups if we haven't joined. I view all new posts now, and by noon tomorrow there won't be more than four pages. I also wonder how long it will take to be admitted to something that looks interesting.

G'night, Toad.