The rules are changing, we are going to start showing the assholes the door

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:06 pm
Instead of locking threads we are going to use micro-suspensions till the new site is ready. This is not the kind of thing we want to get involved with at all, and the new site with threaded conversations will allow us to not get involved without ceding the thread to any argument that has gone on ad nauseum.

Previously topics were locked for all when this happened but for now the users who can't stop fighting on other people's topics will just be suspended for a day.

When the new site is ready you can argue as long as you want but in this linear format it ruins the topics for everyone else.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:26 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

You are a despicable little ****, Frank.

You lied ever since you attacked me for no reason.

You misrepresented my stance as an atheist and you continue to do so.

Your crap about control is just what it is: crap.

If you cannot evolve and and understand other people and other cultures don't go around like Trump pretending you know stuff.

You are as ignorant as they come and I see you as an intrinsically wicked person.

A bit over the top Timur. What. praytell is "an intrinsically wicked person" ? How does one identify them? Do you mean that literally - they were born that way?

Had you merely said that Frank was an occasional pain in the ass I would have agreed with you. We've both likely impressed him that way too.

That said, it's worth remembering he is from New Jersey.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Loving the colander look, Raggers.

It eases the strain.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:53 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Damn, I wish I had said that.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 05:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If its any consolation, Frank, while you sometimes have a no prisoners attack I think you add to the mix here.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
What???? instead of assholes?
Wow!
5 pages!
I am getting old. And slow on the uptake.
But, for the record, I preferred the euphemism.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:02 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

You are out of line man. But it's abundantly clear that you are not going to let being wrong stand in your way, so blather on.

I see this post got overwhelming approval from the crowd. But no one has even attempted to answer the simple question I asked, to wit: How am I wrong?

Is this a declaration of some rational objection, or just an expression of emotion?
neologist

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:04 pm
OK, now that I have perused the 5 pages.

Why not let competing members have a challenge thread?
Where they can insult each other?
Nobody else can post. Only read.
And thumb up or down.
After a certain length of time, a winner can be declared. . . .

Ta Daaa!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:12 pm
One thing that is for sure in this forum is that just about everyone rubs someone the wrong way.

This is why the block feature should be welcomed. If someone just constantly irritates the **** out of you, you'll be able to block them. If you don't then do us all a favor and don't whine about them.

The forum doesn't need any White Knights to come to the rescue of their like minded confreres. If someone feels like they are being picked on (whether or not they are)...bingo - block the person. Problem solved.

There is, without question, a certain clique here, but that's to be expected in any social group. Those of us outside the clique have the opportunity to recruit members if we so choose. My sense is that most of us are thoroughly disinclined to do so.

We may find that discussions in some way suffer from the block feature, but that may be because some of us enjoy the fighting. We'll see, but A2K was not intended to be a forum for cage matches. As I noted previously, almost everyone in this forum who engages in fights claims that they don't seek them but they will not back down from one. I think that's probably the case for most of us but not all. Those who enjoy the fighting more than the discussions will, I hope, fall to the wayside.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:17 pm
@neologist,
Interesting. If I understand Robert's planned changes, this might actually be possible. It would be a good way to keep the feuds removed from discourse.

The current thumbs feature is perfect evidence that any voting on who wins one of these fights would be a farce.

I can easily imagine a salvo like "Well...you're the idiot!" getting roaring approval.

Edit: Like the Twilight Zone, we could call it the "Cornfield." When enough members cry "Send them to the cornfield Billy!" those feuding would have to take their fight there.
layman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If someone just constantly irritates the **** out of you, you'll be able to block them...This is why the block feature should be welcomed.

For reasons I've stated, Finn, I really can't see what "block" would add to the "ignore" option for this purpose. I do think there are reasons why it would detract from, rather than add to, rational discussion, but I won't repeat them here.

Quote:
Those who enjoy the fighting more than the discussions will, I hope, fall to the wayside.

It seems to me that those desiring "discussion" are a clear minority here. This joint strikes me as a place where most posting members are simply looking for a cathartic emotional outlet.
blatham

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:22 pm
Frank is a dear friend. I've spent a lot of time with him in New York and wouldn't dream of visiting the town but not hooking up with him. I love the guy.

Now and again, we all suffer some personal wounds here or, being hurt, seek to deliver some wound to another or others. Particularly those of us encumbered with testicles and a dick.

It can take time to put that crap behind. But that's the only real option, isn't it? If, that is, we wish to retain the best of a place like a2k and the personal balance such that we can sneak up behind Finn dbuzz and pull his pants down.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:25 pm
@layman,
Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on the utility of the block feature. I have no doubt that if it leads to a significant drop-off in participation, Robert will reconsider it. Usage is the primary goal of these sites.

As for the second part of your comment, I agree to an extent. I don't think it's most members but there are quite a few. Most people can't get away, in the real world, with saying some of the things said in this forum. I can imagine that for some who feel suppressed, the ability to call someone a jerk or ignorant is thrilling. That's not going to change.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:26 pm
@blatham,
That would give you quite a thrill wouldn't it blatham? You wouldn't be disappointed. I have a fine ass for a 61 year old.
layman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't think it's most members but there are quite a few.

Well, yeah, I didn't say that quite the way I meant it. Certainly not "most" in terms of sheer number of members, but perhaps "most" in terms of the posts made.

I guess I should have said "most of the most active posters," eh?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:32 pm
@layman,
Without a doubt there are ****-wits participating in this forum and believe it or not there are a certain number of members here who consider you and I two of them.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:51 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm surprised someone didn't say it first.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 06:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You mean this?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 07:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I can't open your link. Help!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 07:05 pm
@glitterbag,