Back in the singles' club again

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:54 pm
hmm. good point about the bike. but he was a bike mechanic though. on the other hand, i have a good friend who was a bike mechanic for longer and for real-er. yes, osso, that's how i see it. i want friendship and am hoping it will work one day. not this weekend quite yet, but it's a first step. <ok, say it, i'm naive as they come. i can take it...>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:09 pm
Re: Back in the singles' club again
Maybe these words from some wise soul will help you sort this out...

dagmaraka the wise wrote:
Since this is the third time this has happened to us, I have no choice but to walk. I am exhausted of being understanding, tolerant, being a mom to him and explain and explain how relationships work. That after 8 years, he will not have that powerful feeling as one has few months or a year into a relationship, that this is 'it', this is the right thing, forever and ever amen. My mother, a family therapist, who is frighteningly always right - not just as every mom, but as a professional, in all of my relationships so far, says I can leave myself an option to let him come back - if he comes with a ring, it's up to me. I can't think clearly right now and although I am very tempted to give him this window, I don't know if I should. Of course, I can always tell him no when he does decide to come back, but I know I would have a hard time trusting him that he won't have a change of heart again. And I know him, better than he knows himself sometimes, so I know he will need a few months, he will look around and try to date, then he might get terribly lonely and try to come back. although perhaps not, as i told him repeatedly that this time it is final no matter what. He respects such decisions, he might not try even if he's desperate. But that's for the best I suspect, we can't keep trying forever.

That about sums it up. I don't have a question anyone could help with, really. I think I am sensible enough to get through this and even get something out of it (since I usually find solace in work my dissertation may see an unexpected boost). Just need to talk not to let that big gaping hole in my chest swallow all of me. OK, going running and then to work. Thanks for listening,
Dagmar.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:16 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
kicky, that's actually the last thing i miss. after eight years it's not always terribly exciting. plus the brazillian journalist intermezzo, well, nemmind. won't go there. what i do miss is the level of comfort we had with each other, but there is absolutely no chance of any comfort this weekend. i just want to establish some sort of a new relationship between us, no matter how naive it sounds. a precedent, if you will.

Bless you and good luck with the friendship.

Dammit! That is the dumbest damn thing about "Relationships" - or often, even, hot affairs - that someone you really like and have a long, or intense, shared history with - who has been such a special part of your life - is consigned to some sort of dustbin of history.

I really hope you two can pull it off.

You look after yourself though, hear?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
yes. i hear. my brain will be promoted, and my heart will get a mandatory day off.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
wait. i can't read all of this. is daggles on the market, or off?

(oh, wait -- i'm not supposed to be shopping...)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
i am on the market, baby! and i'm getting restless! i got into a mad flirtation with the waiter at the restaurant tonight. he gave me a back pat as i was leaving. but i, being i, am not able to do anything about it. i'm sure he'd go out. the handsomest spaniard with a deep velvety barytone.
anyhow, pdog, you don't need to shop for me. here i am, available for free. like a giveaway at a garage sale. ok, that sounds just plain wrong. i should go home now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:37 pm
Desirable women in complicated moods can get themselves in a great many unsavoury compications.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
ha, noddy, ain't that the truth. thanks kicky for pulling that old thing out (and i mean my own post, hide that other old thing NOW!), it reminded me where my head should be and how dangerous it would be to fall for any nostalgic crap the monster may try to pull off. i think i'll be able to deal. and i think i know myself pretty well in this. ... .... <right?>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:50 pm
Be bold and resolute and bloody bitchy if necessary.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
Quote:
like a giveaway at a garage sale.

Got a fantastic gold-paint-on-black-velvet painting of a Spanish galleon for 50c at a yard sale, but the wife isn't fond of it, and it languishes in the back room with the dog crates and random junk. Doesn't bode well, I fears...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:54 pm
see? i'm also fantastic and stacked away with random junk. bitter? moi? jamais!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:42 am
Hello, dag,

Seeing as you are both heading off to different parts, I suspect that you will decide to meet him. I suspect you've quietly made up your mind to, anyway. :wink: If this does happen, the best advice I can offer is this: Be true to yourself in any discussion of your life together, should it come up. I'm not saying give him hell, what I mean is that you know what happened & how it affected you. No amount of tinkering & adjusting your bike wheels can change that. If he feels guilty then there's good reason for it. Absolving that guilt is not your responsibility ... He'll just have to do better in his next relationship if he wants to feel better about himself.

The thing is, seeing him & saying your goodbyes is going to make you feel sad. But not seeing him is not going to make you feel terrific , either!. But sometimes we need to go through these motions AGAIN for things to finally sink in! Eventually we get there & free ourselves. This could be just another stage in that journey.

Good luck & hugs,
Olga
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:15 pm
whoah. he's on his way. breathe in, breathe out. all is gonna be just fine....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:28 pm
You left the details out dag...

inquiring minds want to know Wink
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:30 pm
nope. he's not here yet!!! on his way. i'll tell you all as soon as the monster gets out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:45 pm
Oh my!

Stay strong!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:49 pm
Oho, he isn't there yet.
Good luck dag and yes, stay strong!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:07 pm
Keep breathing, Dag.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:07 pm
Just not TOO hard... that could end badly...
0 Replies