Who should be Hillary's running mate?

georgeob1

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 09:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Hillary vs. Cruz.

I say...let's go.

And you can even throw in the other reliable conservative darling of that party...Sarah Palin in the second spot...to help with the gender factor.

Let's see what happens.[/b]
I think you are illustrating my point above. When looking at the other side we all tend to focus on the loonies. I believe the odds of a Ted Cruz win in Republican primaries are very small. I wouldn't ever vote for him - he's a right wing version od Obama, opportunistic,;narcissistic; given to vague flights of rhetorical abstraction, and in way over his head.

With respect to Hillary, I no longer confident she will make it to the main primaries. I could well be wrong, but my bet is her campaign is unravelling as a result of the factors I identified in other posts here. We could have an interesting year ahead.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:11 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
The relevant question regarding Hillary's candidacy now appears more to involve the accelerating disintegration of her support among Democrats as fears of her possible unelectability grow among them,

It seems the news media has to make up some crisis to try to keep you happy.

I believe the truth of my statement that you quoted is fairly obvious and that its effects will unfold in the weeks and months ahead.

I expressed no "happiness" or even satisfaction over the unfolding issues attending Hillary's campaign. None of it surprises me, in that we are seeing is merely long-standing patterns in Clinton behavior - including the brazen denial we are now witnessing. My happiness has other, better sources.

You are implicitly asserting that what we are seeing is entirely 'some crisis "made up" by the news media'. That is the position publically being taken by the Clinton campaign, so you are indeed on the party line here. We shall both see if it has legs soon enough.

You certainly do an imitation of girlish, smug self-satisfaction very well though. Did you purse your lips as you typed it?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:25 am
@georgeob1,
From this point on, whenever I speak of conservatism...I mean AMERICAN conservatism.

Rather than answering you in depth, George, I will simply acknowledge that I no longer am one of the people looking to reconcile the differences between the two factions of extreme liberalism and extreme conservatism.

I do not particularly like the extreme left wing...and frankly, think they are flat out nuts in certain areas. They bother me...and in no way do I identify with them.

With the extreme conservatives, however, it goes way beyond that. I have come to loathe the extreme right...and I no longer speak of them as being "wrong" in some way. Rather, I consider them evil...to the core...a blight on the planet and a danger to humanity.

In my opinion, there is no way to reconcile the two...and one will have to prevail in a triumph. I hope fervently that extreme conservatism is not that victor.

The more moderate left and more moderate right champion various areas where I am in agreement...but even there, I think there is a marked lack of humanity that I see in the "moderate right."

We'll see what happens...and I suspect we both hope that whatever does happen works for the best for America and the rest of the world.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 10:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
We may have more in common than it often appears. Hell, after a couple of beers we might even agree !
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 11:00 am
@georgeob1,
You are a lot less strident than my closest friends...the ones I most often share beer with. And my golf partners are out near the planet Neptune. But I know enough to stay behind them when they are hitting.

I hope the day can come where we could meet; down some beers...and find out where the areas of agreement are.

I know Joe Nation would like to meet you...he has mentioned that to me. And we do lots of tavern meets in The Big Apple.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2015 12:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I guess they're the guys that fire you up for these threads.

I would enjoy meeting you and Joe.

I'm on the West Coast in northern California, where we have only two seasons .... hill fires and mudslides (though in the current drought the mudslides aren't likely. I do travel frequently to the East coast on business, so perhaps we could get together. I just got back from some meetings in Annapolis and found the place green and beautiful with the budding trees and signs of emerging Spring.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 11:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
You have to use the over all meaning of the word media to get by the bias in the news media, I get that. When working within the confines of the news media, which is where the political interviews are going to take place, it is a left leaning group.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 12:23 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

You have to use the over all meaning of the word media to get by the bias in the news media, I get that.

So...you don't want to use the "over all meaning" of the word media...so that you can claim that the media is biased to the left????

Can you not see how bizarre that is?

The media is the media.

Here are two definitions I obtained in an immediate search:

(usually used with a plural verb) the means of communication, as radio and television, newspapers, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely:

the main means of mass communication (especially television, radio, newspapers, and the Internet) regarded collectively.

Are you actually suggesting that people like George Will, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Bill Bennett, Pat Buchanan, Liz Cheney, Bill Kristol, Karl Rove, Cal Thomas, Bill O’Reilly, Pat Robertson, Laura Ingrham, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter...should not be included in “the media” so that you can, with as straight a face as possible, assert the media is biased to the left?

C’mon, Baldimo. You are one of the people who apparently think any of “the media” that does not treat life and the news the way FOX News treats it…as left leaning.

But that is not the case at all. FOX News is not the center of the spectrum, even though the clueless right thinks it represents fair and balanced news. It is the far right…along with all those people I mentioned above.

The rest of the media IS to the left of that…but that does not make the media left leaning…it simply makes it not as right leaning as those right wing shills and FOX News.

Quote:
When working within the confines of the news media, which is where the political interviews are going to take place, it is a left leaning group.

Only in the deluded mind of the American far right. To the rest of us…it is reasonably balanced.

But don’t stop the cry-baby act. It is adorable. I am enjoying it...and I am sure others are also.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 02:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
So left wing radio sucks and doesn't have a listening group, that doesn't mean right wing pundits who have radio shows make up the media as you are trying to portray the media. A channel you claim isn't worth anything is suddenly worth something for the purpose of your argument?

If you want to use the general term media then I guess we should count all the tv shows and movies that get made as well. If that is the case do you really think the media is right leaning? All the tv shows and movies that get made with such a right wing slant just dominate the airwaves don't they?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 03:04 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

So left wing radio sucks and doesn't have a listening group, that doesn't mean right wing pundits who have radio shows make up the media as you are trying to portray the media. A channel you claim isn't worth anything is suddenly worth something for the purpose of your argument?

If you want to use the general term media then I guess we should count all the tv shows and movies that get made as well. If that is the case do you really think the media is right leaning? All the tv shows and movies that get made with such a right wing slant just dominate the airwaves don't they?

Baldimo...

...IN MY OPINION the main stream media is fairly unbiased. It leans neither left nor right. It reports the news...and offers some analysis that often contains opinions. I personally do not see those opinions as being particularly slanted left or right...but rather in a more centrist perspective.

The most vocal biased opinions, as far as I am concerned, come from the rabid right...from people like George Will, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity, Bill Bennett, Pat Buchanan, Liz Cheney, Bill Kristol, Karl Rove, Cal Thomas, Bill O’Reilly, Pat Robertson, Laura Ingrham, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter...and that commentary is decidedly slanted to the right. I simply do not see that amount of coverage from "liberal" commentators...and I would love to see a list you could furnish of left wing firebrands that match the exposure of those people I named for the right.

The cry-baby charge that the media is slanted left is an invention of the right...which I will acknowledge has been adopted (for some reason) even by the left.

I consider it an absurdity.

You apparently do not.

We disagree.

It happens.

Like I say...the crying, wringing of hands, and rending of garments by the right in this matter delights me. I laugh my butt off when observing it.

You people will see anything that is not slanted to the right...as slanted to the left.

You are successfully selling that snake oil to lot of people.

I am not one of them.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 05:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

[The cry-baby charge that the media is slanted left is an invention of the right...which I will acknowledge has been adopted (for some reason) even by the left.

So you are the only one out there who believes the mainstream media is objective?? That's interesting .
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 05:46 pm
Who should be Hillary's running mate?
Who could self immolate to do that? I'll wait and see.

I'm officially a democrat in order to vote with a range of views, most but not all left to way left of the Dem mean, which slumps to the right obsequiously or with reasonable consideration, depending on who you talk to. It's a curve. I can get old time repubs if I run across them.

As a generality, I see the world has ramped up pissing to the point of nuclear game plans, even more and more intricately than before.

This is stupid, since in many ways, most of us world over want sane lives.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:23 pm
I would hate it but Biden makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:34 pm
I am Biden interested, but as president.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:37 pm
I'm gone.
I can't abide Frank's typographic yelling and screaming.

Oh, wait,
we'll see. He's on a short leash.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 05:11 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

[The cry-baby charge that the media is slanted left is an invention of the right...which I will acknowledge has been adopted (for some reason) even by the left.

So you are the only one out there who believes the mainstream media is objective?? That's interesting .

I do not do believing, George.

Under any circumstances, I did not say I am the only one who thinks the mainstread media is objective.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 05:13 am
@ossobuco,
I am not yelling and screaming, Ossobuco.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 09:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Then what's this?
http://able2know.org/topic/265126-1#post-5865753

Because you use bold type that most of us don't, not for vision reasons but because you like it, you have to highly enlarge and bold the words in order to emphasize "in my opinion". It screeches and screams on the page.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 09:12 am
@ossobuco,
I am not yelling or screaming...which is not in my nature anyway. I do not do it in non-cyber life...and I am not doing it here in A2K. Fact is, you do seem like the complaining, yelling, and screaming type...and many of your posts seem like yelling even though you use normal fonts.

I have explained a couple of times why I do it. If you missed it...you missed it and will have to make do with my assurances that I am not yelling.

There are many others who use bold...and I have never heard any of them catch any static because of it.

I suspect you simply want to rag on me...which is your right.

So...rag.

But I am not yelling.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 12:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Rags for sale, that could be a song..

Many besides me have commented on your bold type as yelling. You've never responded to me to say why you do, except that it is not for vision reasons and is not yelling.

Thus, to me it seems you do it to enhance your argument points - which, you know should stand for themselves.