Who should be Hillary's running mate?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 12:09 pm
I think it will be Warren, who will only do it if she has work to do like Cheney and Gore did, which I think Hillary will agree to because of her age and because Bill will encourage it....to take the load off.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:06 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I think it'd be awesome to have Bill Clinton as VP. First Mister and Veep.

You have seen the SNL clip, haven't you?

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:29 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I think it'd be awesome to have Bill Clinton as VP. First Mister and Veep.

an old lady and and old man with long running major health issues?

Ya, that sounds like a winner.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:34 pm
I don't think Warren and Clinton would be compatible as running mates. Elizabeth is far more liberal and much too outspoken. And I don't think she and Bill would be good as Pres and VP. He would likely try too hard to influence her activities and they would argue a lot, I think.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Feinstein or Biden - or she takes a young good looking Democrat. Are there any out there?

Julian Castro would be a good option. He's young, Mexican background, not very well known which translates to less baggage. He definitely would gather more votes away from Marco Rubio. They say that Rubio is the biggest threat to Hilary, so Castro as VP would be a wise move.
Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment. I was talking about Bill and Hillary as Veep and Prez..

Seriously, it's a bit too soon for Warren nationally to get the nomination, I think. I think she has the brain power..and gravitas. I'd be eager to see how she affects the nominees and helps the Dems win the top spot.

OTOH, Repugs are clueless, spineless, and have nothing to offer the populace that helps anyone but their precious brethren.

General populace may not be interesting with another 4 yrs of another Bush as Prez., hough the Repugs may offer him up as the nominee.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:48 pm
@Ragman,
I know you were. I was replying to that notion. I just don't see them working together well. I really do think they would fight each other after a while.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:50 pm
Warren has said that she will not challenge Clinton and I believe her.
I don't know enough about Castro to have an opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:52 pm
I have liked Biden for about eight years. But I just don't think he will be offered the job.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 01:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
The pleasure level, I do wonder about that, though not much. Not my business anyway.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 02:00 pm
@CalamityJane,
Smart analysis, C. I'll read up.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
And that's good for ratings. After all, this is all Reality TV anywho! they'sd be miked 24/7. This would make for reality TV better than anything like Gene Simmons or the Osbournes.
0 Replies

Banana Breath

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 03:33 pm
I'm sticking with Pee Wee Herman as my top choice.
-Like Ronald Reagan... A comedic actor in film and television-savvy
-Like Bill Clinton... Had some run-ins with authorities over some indiscretions. No skeletons in the closet once that sort of thing is public.
-Not likely to challenge Hillary as to who gets to wear the pants
-Far more popular than Hillary with younger voters and LGBT community
-Perfect scapegoat for anything that goes wrong, which is the main function of a VP anyway
-Fluent in foreign languages ("mekka lekka hai...")

http://i62.tinypic.com/2l8axis.jpg
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 03:56 pm
I live on Maryland, o'Malley was mayor of Baltimore for two terms and also Governor for two terms. I'm a registered Dem, I voted for o'Malley only because he was more palatable than his opponent. Talking to folks around here, a lot of people said they could vote for Hillary but they don't want O'Malley in any office ever again. There are also a lot of people who hate Hillary and wouldnt vote for her if Jesus was her Vice-president. But I'm not sure O'Malley could carry his home State. I don't see O'Malley as a national well known politician. But, then again, I never thought George 43 would become 43.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 05:09 pm
@edgarblythe,

May still be a question about that, Edgar.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on it.

There is a point of contention regarding the interpretation of the Twenty-second Amendment as it relates to the Twelfth Amendment, ratified in 1804, which provides that "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice President of the United States."
While it is clear that under the Twelfth Amendment the original constitutional qualifications of age, citizenship, and residency apply to both the President and Vice President, it is unclear whether a two-term president could later serve as Vice President. Some argue[13] that the Twenty-second Amendment and Twelfth Amendment bar any two-term president from later serving as Vice President as well as from succeeding to the presidency from any point in the United States presidential line of succession. Others contend[14][15] that the Twelfth Amendment concerns qualification forservice, while the Twenty-second Amendment concerns qualifications for election, and thus a former two-term president is still eligible to serve as vice president. The practical applicability of this distinction has not been tested, as no former president has ever sought the vice presidency, and thus the courts have never been required to make a judgment regarding the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

In the meantime, I doubt it will happen.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 05:18 pm
Hillary has announced her desire to run, but it's going to be a long haul and no guarantee she will win the Primary. I'm not completely stupid, I think she can win, but the election is not happening today. I don't know what might happen during the campaigns.
FBM

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 05:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, I just saw the news. Y'know, I'm glad she's running and I hope she wins, but something seems off to me. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I expect something to go wrong. Dunno why.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 05:25 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Yeah, I just saw the news. Y'know, I'm glad she's running and I hope she wins, but something seems off to me. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I expect something to go wrong. Dunno why.

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 05:28 pm
There is no guarantee she will get the nomination or even win. Naturally. Sometimes a single event, however minor, can derail a candidacy. And the Republican lie machine sometimes tells whoppers the media repeats endlessly without mentioning its a lie. Look at the swift boat shellacking Kerry took.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 05:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank
I really don't want him as VP. Not as a criticism of the man. I just can't see them as an effective team.