Who should be Hillary's running mate?

jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 04:42 pm
Hillary Clinton narrowly wins in Nevada and will easily win in South Carolina next week. Trump will win both. The 4 early primaries were essentially tied for Democrats (1 caucus and 1 primary win each) and showed Republicans are stupid enough to want Trump or Cruz. Hillary will likely win the nomination on Super Tuesday. She is polling ahead of Trump nationally but behind Cruz and Rubio. If Cruz is the nominee and you're a liberal and you don't vote for Hillary and he becomes President you're an idiot.

If "President Ted Cruz" happens because Bernie supporters refuse to vote for Clinton you're also an idiot. Cool
Sturgis

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 06:03 pm
@jcboy,
perhaps the greater idiot (s) would be the DNC or whatever enity or entities decided to continue pinning all their hopes and dreams on a flip-flopping liar. When polled people in the majority state that they find her to be dishonest. Is that what you really want as a representation of the country? Further, due to her dishonesty, there really is no way to believe any of the words exiting her mouth.

All that aside, if my choice is between Clinton and either Trump or Cruz, I would give her my vote and hope for her sudden death from natural causes so as to have a V.P. take charge.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 06:16 pm
@Sturgis,
I agree with you, Sturgis. They want to bully people into accepting Hillary, but the last time I checked, they can't come into the polling booth and make our vote for us.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 07:03 pm
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not motivated out of some dimwitted need to bend others to my will and "scare" or "bully" them into voting for Hillary. I think the most accurate description of the nature of my motivation would be abject fear of the obvious destruction that we'd invite by putting Trump or Cruz in the White House. I don't expect anyone else to look at Cruz and Trump and see the absolute monsters I do, but I would ask people to believe me when I say that's what I see. When I look at Cruz and Trump I see at least one, and maybe more senseless wars laying waste to thousands of American lives and billions in dollars. I see an immediate all out effort to roll back gains in healthcare, women's reproductive rights, the right to marry and income inequality, I see a doubling down in militarized police departments and an attempt to further weaken existing gun control. With a Trump or Cruz as president, I see a country given tacit permission to be more hateful, and less tolerant to everyone who isn't heterosexual white male.

I don't have any earthly reason to want to infringe on anyone's free will, or their right to an individual and private vote, or their freedom to hate Hillary with every breath they draw. More power to them. Long may it wave, and vive le difference. My motives for engaging in this conversation are two: the abject fear I've mentioned, and the desire to motivate Democrats to pull together and not apart. From what I can see,Bernie and millions of Bernie followers, and Hillary and millions of Hillary followers understand that there is something bigger at stake than getting a particular Dem candidate in - that's keeping those two (I can't take Rubio seriously) OUT.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hard to have a running mate from behind bars...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 08:31 pm
Snood said
Quote:
I don't expect anyone else to look at Cruz and Trump and see the absolute monsters I do, but I would ask people to believe me when I say that's what I see.

and as I read what he believes, I wished that I could be afforded the same luxury of being taken at my word. I wish what was important to me was important to others. Snood talked about what he believes, and I listened. I'd like to talk about what I believe.

My vote is finally incredibly meaningful to me. What happens in this election is incredibly meaningful to me. I've donated to a political campaign for the first (2nd, 3rd, 4th, and later tonight, 5th) time in my life. I respect a person running for president for the first time. I have a high level of trust in a person who is running for president. I am convinced by a long history of his behavior that my candidate for president is a righteous dude who works for minorities and average-income people - for no other reason that it is the right thing to do. I believe he could take money for votes, and chooses not to. I believe he will do everything in his power to deliver what he has set out to deliver.

I believe the odds of a person surviving this long in American politics and remaining clean are almost nil. I believe Bernie Sanders is a once in a lifetime candidate - and this is the one chance I will have in my lifetime to promote decent human being into a position that enables him to dismantle an appreciable amount of the corruption that has been constructed in DC over the past several decades.

I believe what Dwight Eisenhower said about the military industrial complex.

I believe the US is an oligarchy.

I believe the two party system is a brilliant mechanism that has very effectively kept the American electorate dug in against one another so virulently that we fight each other while we're robbed by the politicians we vociferously defend. They are the enemy. All of them. Republicans and Democrats.

I believe that a Trump or Cruz presidency, as crappy and gasp-inducing as it would be, pales in comparison to the unabated continuation of graft, corruption, and the triangulation of dirty politicians selling Americans to the ultra-wealthy and corporations. This is not your daddy's America.

The Occupy movement was a precursor to this Bernie Sanders movement. There is a great and growing unrest that centers around government corruption. Whether or not Bernie wins, this country is on the precipice of a revolution. There are a lot of people who are very hopeful this sea change can process through elections. There are some who say it cannot, and it will happen in more violent ways.

I hear people so deathly serious about not letting a Republican in office - like it's the worst thing they can possibly imagine.

I hear other people saying that me alluding to "worse things that can possibly happen" is fear-mongering.

It bothers me to see so many people who I assume to be decent and intelligent making contorted apologies/explanations for Hillary Clinton. She is worse for the Republic than Republicans because she has more power and a miles-deep entrenched corruption infrastructure putting her in the unique position to do far more damage than any stupid Republican can.

You say people who refuse to vote for Hillary aren't looking at the big picture; Republicans are to be avoided at all costs.

If it was any other election contest, I'd just stay quiet and let chips fall. Lesser of two evils.

For the first time in my life, I don't have to take the lesser of evils.

It is shocking to me that anyone who calls herself a progressive would even consider voting for anyone else. I think it's fucked up and inexcusable.

That's what I believe.

snood

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 09:11 pm
Quote:
I believe that a Trump or Cruz presidency, as crappy and gasp-inducing as it would be, pales in comparison to the unabated continuation of graft, corruption, and the triangulation of dirty politicians selling Americans to the ultra-wealthy and corporations.

The preceding passage is Lash proclaiming that the damage of a Trump or Cruz presidency would be nothing compared to the damage of a Hillary Clinton Presidency.

We are now officially witnessing two parallel realities.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 09:32 pm
@snood,
HINT: One is not reality. Nightmare?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 09:56 pm
@snood,
No. You're just short-sighted.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:04 pm
@Lash,
They don't care, lash. They have this fixation on Hillary, like Republicans have on Trump, and nothing will reach them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 11:07 pm
@Lash,
You and Edgar don't get to look down your noses at ME with your rosy colored hero worship glasses and accuse me of not seeing things clearly. You'd best just leave it as I did - we see things differently; we have two differing views of reality.
Lash

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 11:21 pm
@snood,
You best not think you are going to look down your slithery Hillary-frontin nose at ME and accuse me of living in a parallel reality. You best just leave it as I did; we just have competing priorities.
snood

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2016 11:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You best not think you are going to look down your slithery Hillary-frontin nose at ME and accuse me of living in a parallel reality. You best just leave it as I did; we just have competing priorities.

Your priority list has only one item on it, and you call ME short sighted. Just get Bernie elected, or bust. Real visionary.
Lash

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:03 am
@snood,
Yours is: achieve something a little less horrible than something else. I like mine better.
snood

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:37 am
@Lash,
You have to minimize any good that could possibly come out of a Hillary presidency, I understand that. The same way you have to act like Obama was nothing but a disappointment to all your superior ideals. Because if its barely possible that Hillary is a flawed human being with potential to serve as a good or even great president, you just don't want to know it. Just like you don't want to know that Bernie isn't any superhero wizard politician, but just a well-intentioned career politician who knows all the promises you want to hear.

The fact is that the sane people are saying that they will support either Democratic candidate that gets the nomination. They are saying that because they know that the world will go on no matter who wins, but if it goes on with these Republicans in charge, the ****-storm will be so bad it sure won't help to tell you ******* nihilists "We told you so". They are going to support the Dem candidate because they care what happens to the country no matter who wins. The deluded crybaby Don Quixote crazies are saying that if Bernie doesn't win it all, then they will just walk away (and by walk away I include voting Green, or not voting) . They are saying that everyone who doesn't just walk away is myopic or unimaginative or small hearted or weak souled, or what ever - its ******* NUTS any way you look at it.
Blickers

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 01:30 am
@Lash,
Quote Lash:
Quote:
I believe that a Trump or Cruz presidency, as crappy and gasp-inducing as it would be, pales in comparison to the unabated continuation of graft, corruption, and the triangulation of dirty politicians selling Americans to the ultra-wealthy and corporations. This is not your daddy's America.

Yeah, how can America take another awful round of Clinton prosperity? Check the chart:

http://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/07/30/ad024552-4e68-43ec-9411-c1e3203bb29c/thumbnail/620x350/2f8640d6376cfd5740e3240fb1985586/screen-shot-2014-07-30-at-2-28-06-pm.png

God help us. Anything but that. Drunk Drunk
Lash

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 05:10 am
@snood,
Riddled with inaccuracies.

I think we are both quite sure of our opinions of one another, our preferred candidates, and the candidate we don't prefer.

Let's don't waste more time and space discussing it. It won't change.
snood

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 06:54 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Riddled with inaccuracies.

I think we are both quite sure of our opinions of one another, our preferred candidates, and the candidate we don't prefer.

Let's don't waste more time and space discussing it. It won't change.

I'll tell you what's inaccurate. It's inaccurate to assume a Hillary presidency would be bad for the country - there is no reason to believe it would be any less effective than Obama's, or that it might not even be more effective. It's inaccurate to assume that a Trump or Cruz presidency would be anything else but a disaster on many levels - there is ample evidence including their stated intentions to believe they could do irreparable harm.

And you're right that talking to you and Edgar about this is a waste of time and that we won't change each other's minds, but maybe someone else reading our exchange will be moved away from an empty, pointless protest vote and toward voting for whoever the Dem candidate is, even if not Bernie.
Lash

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 08:56 am
@snood,
I won't engage you again on this particular issue. It's turning into an Apisa situation.
maporsche

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2016 09:58 am
@snood,
I hope after Clinton gets the nomination these people will come back into the fold.

I think of Bernie supporters as tea partiers. They'll vote for Hillary once it's a two horse race
0 Replies