Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:17 am
Netanyahu is a dangerous fool who is ruining the chance for peace in Israel and making the world a more dangerous place for extremists of all stripes.

Please throw him out on his ass for both your sake and for ours. We will be deeply grateful if you do.

Sincerely,

Sane Americans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 21,636 • Replies: 337

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:20 am
@maxdancona,
Not being funny, but I'd hazard a guess that 75% of Americans wouldn't have a clue as to what was going on in Israel, and wouldn't be able to pinpoint the place to within 1000 miles on a map.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
No Lordy, you are wrong about that.

Americans understand God loves two countries in the world; the US and Israel. These are God's chosen countries. We indoctrinate our kids to understand this (as we were indoctrinated).

Of course good Americans know where Israel is.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:33 am
@maxdancona,
Of course you do. It is just over the hill from Terrorland.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:49 am
@Lordyaswas,
Apparently, Israel is in Denmark.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
That's funny. But, honestly, I bet that 80% of us could correctly locate Israel on a map.

Growing up I was taught that there were two countries on Earth that matter; the US and Israel. I bet that is still a pretty common experience.
djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Growing up I was taught that there were two countries on Earth that matter; the US and Israel. I bet that is still a pretty common experience.

i'm the least patriotic person i know, but if the above statement has even the merest shred of truth i'm so thankful i was born in canada, where we were taught to apologize for even thinking we were in any way important
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@djjd62,
It is true Dj.

Most Americans understand instinctively that America is the greatest country in the world, and the lone protector of democracy. I find myself apologizing that I don't think that way.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:40 pm
@maxdancona,
No it is not true. Perhaps in your little corner of being you were taught there were only two countries; I however had a more rounded and complete education. Hell, even during the times I was living and attending school in New York City we weren't given such idiocy as you're claiming, and back then there was a probably greater percentage of Jewish folks than there are now, and Israel was fairly young which would have mentioned there'd have been greater odds of viewing the planet as comprised by only two countries.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:54 pm
@Sturgis,
I don't know Sturgis, I had a typical Protestant upbringing in both the Northeast and the Midwest in the 70s and 80s. This is hardly a little corner. Of course different Americans have different experiences.

You may not realize this, but growing up in New York City is not typical. Most people didn't grow up in the 70s hearing more than one language spoken or seeing people in headscarves. For a lot of us, seeing an Asian outside of a restaurant was a novelty. Everyone in my White Protestant cultural group was inculcated with the idea that God had special love for the US and for Israel.

If you don't believe this... then listen to how every American politician, from Ted Cruz to Hillary Clinton talks about Israel. They are doing this to tap into a widely held American sentiment.

It would be interesting to see if my prediction that 80% of American could point out Israel on a map is correct. I bet far more Americans could find Israel on a map then could find Denmark... or even England.

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:09 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i'm so thankful i was born in canada, where we were taught to apologize for even thinking we were in any way important

Of course you are not important .......LOL
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:10 pm
@maxdancona,
True enough, education curriculum varies from place to place. That said, we didn't think there were only two countries up in Rutland (Vermont) either.

As to the geography matter, I would venture to say that if locating England would be easier for many than spotting Israel (from what I can remember from back in the distant past). As far as Denmark goes, that might be more of a challenge (not as tough as Lichtenstein though).

(I suppose I should look at a world map again and find out how much I can successfully fill in- I used to be quite good in geography)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:48 pm
@BillRM,
at least we have the sense to realize it, not like the delusions of grandeur americans exist under
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:30 pm
@djjd62,
I think you are important Dj. Most of us think of Canada as part of the US anyway.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Geography doesn't seem to interest many people

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/0502_060502_geography.html

Quote:
Despite nearly constant news coverage since the war there began in 2003, 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country on a map of the Middle East.

Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.

Quote:
Even for U.S. geography, the survey results are just as dismal.

Half could not find New York State on a map of the United States.

A third of the respondents could not find Louisiana, and 48 percent couldn't locate Mississippi on a map of the United States,

different poll, more odd results

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-26943479

Quote:
A few of the 2,066 respondents seem to think Ukraine is somewhere in the central US, which certainly would make an armed response easier. Alaska - Alaska! - is the target of nearly a dozen guesses.

Greenland and northern Canada are peppered with dots. Brazil. South Africa. A spot in the ocean south of New Zealand.

Is it too much to hope that some of the people surveyed were just messing with the pollsters?

Political independents performed best, with 29% picking correctly. Republicans (15%) and Democrats (14%) were equally dismal.

in 2002

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1126_021120_TVGeoRoperSurvey.html

Quote:
About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map.

The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent;
Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

Are Young U.S. Citizens Americentric?

Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It would be interesting to see if my prediction that 80% of American could point out Israel on a map is correct.

I bet far more Americans could find Israel on a map then could find Denmark... or even England.

I wish you'd placed an actual bet on this.

30% could find the UK
less than 15% (in the same study) could find Israel
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
That is surprising. I wonder if there is a difference between generations.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:28 pm
@maxdancona,
it appears to be a tiny bit better now but it's something like a jump from less than 15% to 17% between 2002 and 2012

geography generally seems to get a fail in the US

like really - people don't know where their own state is. where is the Pacific?

not too impressive

_____

this used to come up quite a bit when littlek posted regularly - she was always bringing in geography quizzes - and someone would find out what results the general population got and post that information
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:33 pm
@maxdancona,
the second poll I posted (about the Ukraine) really startled me - that was just a couple of years ago and some people thought Ukraine was IN the United States! you have to wonder how that group felt about Putin being involved in a dispute inside the US - if they were aware of that and knew who Putin was/is
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 05:06 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Netanyahu is a dangerous fool who is ruining the chance for peace in Israel and making the world a more dangerous place for extremists of all stripes.

Oh come on. This is just plain silly.

The chances for peace have already been ruined, and it was the Palestinians and their European supporters who ruined them.