Was I Raped?

firefly

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Since my wife and I implemented the rule that there should be formal consent at each and every step in the progression towards penetration, we haven't made love anymore... It pretty much killed the sex drive, mine at least... I don't mind. Guess I was not really that interested...

Quote:
Who cooked up this ridiculous idea to ask for conscious, deliberate authorization at every step, again? A Puritan or something?

Why did you and your wife, after more than two decades, decide to implement this "rule"?

That type of consent--"Yes means yes"--with affirmative consent (either verbal or non-verbal), by both partners, for each type of sexual contact, is rather specifically meant for college students because of the types of casual sexual encounters they tend to have--alcohol fueled hook-ups or one night stands--and it's being instituted at colleges to prevent sexual assaults. In that population, it makes a good deal of sense, because it's much clearer whether actual consent is present. It erases grey areas because it requires both partners to communicate what's wanted, or not, and to focus on whether particular types of sexual contacts are wanted by the partner. For instance, the situation described in the OP, where one person is initiating various types of sexual contact, but the other person is totally passive, silent, has her eyes closed, and appears to be "knocked-out", clearly would not meet that affirmative "Yes means yes" standard, and that young man would clearly have no reason to believe he had her consent.

It would be hoped that old married couples have already worked out consent issues between them, and already communicate about sexual issues, so I'm puzzled by why you and your wife would suddenly decide to implement a "rule" really designed for college students to help prevent sexual assault.
Quote:
So for over two decades we had the best of sex without saying a word. The moment we started talking about it, all sorts of interesting ideas came into play about equality and not making it for the sake of habit or because ONE of us wants it but not the other... As a result, I used to **** my wife to make her happy, but now I don't bother anymore. Let her ask if she wants it...

Quote:
I'm not that eager to get the sex back. One reason is that I was not actually deriving much pleasure from it. It's been boring for quite some time. Sometimes even physically painful for me... So I'm cool without it. If she needs to fool around, let it be. I'll try it too, if I must.

It wasn't finally talking about sexual matters that killed your sex life, the long overdue communication about it exposed the problems that were already there.

If you're experiencing a low sex drive, little pleasure from sex, or physically painful sex, you should be concerned about these matters, and you should discuss them with a doctor as well as with your wife--the cause can be either medical or psychological, either way, you should be concerned about it and try to seek some answers.
Quote:
Also she hates admitting her own desires.

Unfortunately, some women are embarrassed about admitting they are fully sexual beings, with all sorts of desires, largely due to their cultural, or sometimes religious, conditioning. I see that as something your wife should be helped to overcome.

It's actually good that you and your wife finally began communicating about your sexual relationship. If you want to improve things in that department, you should discuss your lack of libido and experience of pain with your physician, because it may well indicate a medical problem. And you and your wife might benefit from consulting a sex therapist who might help you to enjoy a sex life that is mutually satisfying to both of you.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:14 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It erases grey areas

My point is that erasing grey areas may well lead to erasing erogenous areas... Desire is not a black and white thing - there's plenty of grey in it. One may at some point in time not consciously want to get laid, but still enjoy it 30mn later if/when someone imposes it on one. One may want to get laid but not want to admit as much. One may "want to get raped"... It's all pretty complicated and turning it into some bureaucratic form-filling process is not the solution IMO. It may cure the disease but it also kills the patient (love).

Quote:
you should discuss your lack of libido and experience of pain with your physician, because it may well indicate a medical problem.

I have no physical problem that I can see. It's mental, or more precisely affective. You know how pleasure in girls is supposed to be linked to affection or admiration of the partner? Same thing with me - at 100%. I once went with a hooker and didn't feel a thing. Zilch! Maybe I'm too much of a girl... :-)
Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Please don't tell me she's the maniac and you're the sex.... So you're tired and unnattracted to the the old mate even if you've tried to pretend to be attracted to her? What do you want ...a medal?!! Maybe ...she's very thankful you pretended to be attracted....,but still, she could tell you weren't . So you didn't get an acting medal!!
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:41 pm
@Germlat,
Who has asked for any medal?
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:43 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
It erases grey areas

My point is that erasing grey areas may well lead to erasing erogenous areas... Desire is not a black and white thing - there's plenty of grey in it. One may at some point in time not consciously want to get laid, but still enjoy it 30mn later if/when someone imposes it on one. One may want to get laid but not want to admit as much. One may "want to get raped"... It's all pretty complicated and turning it into some bureaucratic form-filling process is not the solution IMO. It may cure the disease but it also kills the patient (love).

Quote:
you should discuss your lack of libido and experience of pain with your physician, because it may well indicate a medical problem.

I have no physical problem that I can see. It's mental, or more precisely affective. You know how pleasure in girls is supposed to be linked to affection or admiration of the partner? Same thing with me - at 100%. I once went with a hooker and didn't feel a thing. Zilch! Maybe I'm too much of a girl... :-)
firefly

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

But when colleges are trying to decrease sexual assaults, they want to erase those grey areas, in terms of consent, as much as possible-- and for the college population, and the types of sexual assault that occur in that population, it makes a great deal of sense. And the "Yes means yes" standard that colleges have been increasingly adopting focuses only on consent--it doesn't affect desire, or any particular sex acts people might want to engage in, it simply requires that both parties be mutually consenting for whatever it is they want to do. It facilitates communication, particularly between people who may not know each other very well, if at all. That doesn't kill "love" or passion, that's how you help prevent sexual assault--unwanted sexual contacts--in a younger population that tends to engage in casual alcohol fueled hook-ups or one night stands. For colleges, this is a campus safety issue.

But why would you and your wife, after over two decades, suddenly decide to institute the type of campus sexual consent standards specifically intended for primarily unmarried college students to help prevent sexual assaults? It makes no sense to me that you think they'd be appropriate for an old married couple.

But, it's a good thing that you and your wife finally began communicating about your sexual relationship because you found out your sex life wasn't as great as you thought it was.

Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:53 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
It erases grey areas

My point is that erasing grey areas may well lead to erasing erogenous areas... Desire is not a black and white thing - there's plenty of grey in it. One may at some point in time not consciously want to get laid, but still enjoy it 30mn later if/when someone imposes it on one. One may want to get laid but not want to admit as much. One may "want to get raped"... It's all pretty complicated and turning it into some bureaucratic form-filling process is not the solution IMO. It may cure the disease but it also kills the patient (love).?

Quote:

I have no physical problem that I can see. It's mental, or more precisely affective. You know how pleasure in girls is supposed to be linked to affection or

admiration of the partner? Same thing with me - at 100%. I once went with a hooker and didn't feel a thing. Zilch! Maybe I'm too much of a girl... :-)

So--I'm not sure what dynamics occurred between you and your loved one ...but---did your mentality change about sex within that time? If so--I can see how any loving person could have turned away. Sex or even love contingent on admiration ?! What? You were together for 20#years....someone is confused as hell here? Sorry, it's difficulty to understand. I think in relationships, nobody gets to be the darling at all times. You're there when your partner needs you.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 03:57 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
For colleges, this is a campus safety issue.

I'm all for safety now that I am 50+, but back then I remember that safety sucked.

Quote:
But, it's a good thing that you and your wife finally began communicating about your sexual relationship because you found out your sex life wasn't as great as you thought it was.

Yes, I guess it's a good thing. Worse come to worse we can always try and meet someone else.
Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:02 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
For colleges, this is a campus safety issue.

I'm all for safety now that I am 50+, but back then I remember that safety sucked.

Oh baby!! Hold on to your daughters . Are you holding your pee-wee and strutting as you say this? Yeah...your time has passed .... Laughing
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:04 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
Sex or even love contingent on admiration ?! What?

Yes. What's wrong with that?
Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Sex or even love contingent on admiration ?! What?

Yes. What's wrong with that?

Yeah...love is not contingent on that.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:06 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
your time has passed .... Laughing

I guess so...
firefly

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I have no physical problem that I can see. It's mental, or more precisely affective. You know how pleasure in girls is supposed to be linked to affection or admiration of the partner? Same thing with me - at 100%. I once went with a hooker and didn't feel a thing. Zilch! Maybe I'm too much of a girl

I really think you're describing sexual dysfunction, something that many men who are 50+, and even those who are younger, may experience for a variety of medical/biological reasons .

Libido, and capacity for arousal, is very much linked to biological and medical factors--for both genders. And painful sex, for a man, does not sound at all like something normal for a male, although it's certainly true for some post-menopausal women due to vaginal dryness or thinning of vaginal tissue, and it might cause them to want to avoid sex, or have it less often.

I think you should discuss your lack of libido, lack of arousal, and pain during sex with your physician, just as a woman should discuss painful sex with her doctor. These problems can be addressed and improved.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:08 pm
@Germlat,
Speak for yourself. I cannot love someone whom I don't also admire.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:10 pm
@Germlat,
The problem here is if you just placed the obligation on the partner that does not wish sexual congress to tell his or her partner that fact then there is no gray areas nor is there any safety issue for that matter on or off college campuses.

Trying to change the manner that men and women make love is not call for and just more silliness from feminists.
Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
your time has passed .... Laughing

I guess so...

Only because you've adopted this weird , jaded behavior ( females get it too). You think nobody is original or sincere. Everyone is a fake , out to get you...argh!! Why are you so bitter?
Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Speak for yourself. I cannot love someone whom I don't also admire.

Yep...I hate to say it but, I do love a great many people I don't admire...so what?!
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:18 pm
@firefly,
You're not paying attention. This has nothing to see with a lack of libido, trust me. I am still capable of desire and arousal, even for my wife occasionally, but there's just too much complications in the relationship, too many power plays, too much anger... which makes it impossible for me to feel pleasure.

Do you always get an orgasm, every time you make sex? If yes, good for you...
Germlat

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:18 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The problem here is if you just placed the obligation on the partner that does not wish sexual congress to tell his or her partner that fact then there is no gray areas nor is there any safety issue for that matter on or off college campuses.

Trying to change the manner that men and women make love is not call for and just more silliness from feminists.

"Silliness from feminists"... I don't understand a word you speak of...try again. Any intelligent female must be harassed and labeled as "man hating " according to the establishment ....what the hell...
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 04:19 pm
@Germlat,
Not that kind of love. Not for me anyway...
0 Replies