Law Enforcement and the African-American community

Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:54 am
@giujohn,
You didn't understand his comment and I explained myself pretty clear from before. A white cop who grew up in Orange County cannot culturally relate to some black or Hispanic kid from Watts or Compton. Just because a white cop from Orange county grew up listening to Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg or Eminem doesn't make them knowledgable of black culture because rap music or any "soul music" for that matter is not what defines black culture. Black culture is not homogenous but there are certain principles that many blacks go by that white cops simply do not understand.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:55 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

Clinton was never impeached.....

time for you to learn up so you can stop looking stupid

Quote:
Similar to the British system, Article One of the United States Constitution gives the House of Representatives the sole power of impeachment and the Senate the sole power to try impeachments. Unlike the British system, impeachment is only the first of two stages, and conviction requires a two-thirds vote. Impeachment does not necessarily result in removal from office; it is only a legal statement of charges, parallel to an indictment in criminal law. An official who is impeached faces a second legislative vote (whether by the same body or another), which determines conviction, or failure to convict, on the charges embodied by the impeachment. Most constitutions require a supermajority to convict.
Bill Clinton, Democrat, was impeached on December 19, 1998,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment

Clinton was impeached, but the Senate failed to convict.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 01:59 am
@giujohn,
"What if no blacks apply"

I can tell you right now I wouldn't want to be a cop (and being a cop in the greater Los Angeles area is a rewarding career). But I think if I were to be a cop I could totally relate to the people I would be policing. What everyone is telling you is that from a cultural standpoint a white cop policing a predominant black area can pose an issue because the people will see the cop as someone who cannot relate to them culturally.

0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:02 am
@hawkeye10,
Ok...My mistake he was impeached but never left office. I'm more so leaning towards the fact that Clinton finished out his term as president. Not sure how I'm looking stupid, as I've made one mistake in this thread.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:04 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

Ok...My mistake he was impeached but never left office. I'm more so leaning towards the fact that Clinton finished out his term as president. Not sure how I'm looking stupid, as I've made one mistake in this thread.
using words without understanding their meaning makes you look stupid.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:06 am
Clinton was impeached--he just wasn't convicted. If you're going to hold forth as though you know what you're talking about, it would help you immensely to actually know what you're talking about. To impeach means to indict, and he was impeached in the House. However, he was not convicted by the Senate.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:46 am
Anyway enough of the sidebar antics......

After reading several stories regarding the Brown situation I made my way towards the comments regarding the article. Talk about sad. I guess without calling someone a "N***er" I guess some whites are over utilizing the word thug. These folks are about to bury their child and the following comments is all I've seen:

"Family members should have denounced Michael Brown's Thuggish behavior"

-Owen Marshall

" If a white guy farts near a black person these days they think he was racist and in the wrong. Have you ever noticed that black people NEVER notice when their own people are doing anything clearly wrong or racist? They can have their own people fighting, shooting each other, dealing drugs, and calling each other ni////ggas or white people whatever they want while they ignore it."

-NickH

"So the dad wants a day of peace... well maybe he shouldn't have been wearing a shirt a few days ago during his press conference stating "No Justice No Peace" a little warcry for those protesting. I just wonder where this attitude comes from that they think they should be allowed to demand instant gratification for everything?"

-Sean

"It wasn't a kid that was killed. It was a wild animals. Black people are NOT human and need to be exterminated. The dad can't help if he can't read and did not know what his shirt said a few days ago."

-JD

"His shirt is correct. Mike Brown already got his justice....now we should have peace!"

-Iusedtoposthere

"When OJ was being chased by the cops for the murder, blacks were out hanging over railings on the freeway overpasses chanting "run OJ, run". So blacks were cheering on a murderer because of the color of his skin. It's a really sad state in America, blacks will remain ignorant & poor so long as they choose to stay in ignorance and poverty, and choose to identify with race before they identify with morality, truth, reason and the law."

-Grrrrrr!

The internet is a wonderful thing but it also demonstrates the internalized racist mentality that I firmly believe a lot of whites have. Thanks to anonymity instead of showing some sort of solace for the parents, people resort to these sorts of antics. These comments (mind you over 10 thousand people commented in similar fashion like the ones previously mentioned) are exactly why African-Americans at least those who are racially conscious, believe that racism isn't over. I personally do not think racism will be over in my life time.

Interesting enough a lot of the comments that these folks made people agreed with...SMH I have no hope for the United States.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:49 am
A lot of people have a racist mentality. When you try to restrict that definition to whites, you're displaying your own prejudice.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:52 am
@Setanta,
Sure a lot of people have a racist mentality, but historically and maybe I'm missing something here but the antagonists of this mentality has been the majority in this country....I don't know about you but this has been proven time and time again. I don't know in my lifetime and the lifetime of my mom and dad, brother and sisters we've never experienced racism from other cultures (occasionally from Koreans and Chinese and some Latinos).

Hispanics, I know for sure feel exactly the same way....

BTW you need your reading glasses because I'm pretty sure I used the word "some" before my mentioning of whites......By some, I'm referring to whites who have this mentality.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:20 am
When the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act were passed, the overwhelming majority of the Congress were "whites." That could not have happened if the members of Congress justifiably feared a voter backlash. Saying some whites are racist is sufficiently vague to support an implication that most whites are racist. I personally believe that casual racism is endemic in the American population--and that includes blacks who are racist, as well as whites and Asians. The Civil Rights Act was passed almost 50 years ago. It took almost a hundred years after the American civil war for a civil rights movement to coalesce and become effective. Change doesn't happen overnight. You don't aid the cause by attempting to suggest that most whites are racist, which is the burden of your screed when you focus on the racism of some whites, and fail to acknowledge that many whites are not racist and that many blacks are.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:46 am
@Setanta,
Sigh****

"Saying some whites are racist is sufficiently vague to support an implication that most whites are racist."

Now this is what pisses me off...The twisting of my words.

If I want to say most whites are racist I would most certainly without hesitation say most whites are racist. When I use the word SOME (and I believe I already explained this which you conveniently didn't mention) I'm referring to whites of this mindset, you know, the mindset that anyone with a "colored" skin pigmentation who shares a different cultural lineage is inferior.

Let us get something straight here there is a difference between white racism and black racism.

Historically speaking white racism as we've seen in history was an antagonist philosophy aimed at demoralizing cultures based on some Eurocentric ideology. Black racism is the attitude in response to having been antagonized historically. Though I do not support nor condone racism whether you're black or white, we need understand that the evolution of racial hatred within the black community is in relation to the injustices many innocent people have faced.

I'm sorry but white folks (and this is where I'm generalizing) need to understand that there are those that have suffered due to racism and although we need to be careful and not sentence anyone for the crimes of those that have came before, we need to understand the history behind it. I think its important that white folks understand that for the most part, racism is still a part of the mosaic we call the United States.

Hell I see it all the time with Obama.....

1)Questioned his borth certificate

2)Questioned his education

3)Questioned how much golf he plays

So the burden of change is a responsibility for blacks as it is for whites, but from where I'm sitting, as a person of color and as a person who has experienced racism I think the burden of change is more of a responsibility for whites than it is for any person of color.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:54 am
@Buttermilk,
I didn't "twist" anything. It is hardly my fault if the language you use is vague enough to support such implications--don't try to blame me for your sloppy expressions. There is absolutely no distinction to be made between white racism and black racism. It's deplorable, and appeals to the crimes of history is no basis to suggest that anyone is justified in being racist.

Sure it's silly to attempt to discredit Mr. Obama on the basis of bogus claims. That doesn't mean that he gets a pass, though, because he's black. His administration has been involved in the corruption typical of all administrations. You see what you want to see.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:54 am
The following comment is exactly what I was thinking and mind you this article is old but I encourage you guys to read the comments to get an idea of the racist vitriol I tend to read online:

"Oh God. why must people come on here attacking this woman all the time??? Get a life. if you don't find her attractive that's fine, nobody is saying you have to like her. but to call this woman all these names is just wrong and unnecessary, and its pointless. Everytime I read an article about a Black female celebrity there is always some hate and racist comments posted. All I ever see is the same ole comments calling Black women apes, gorilla's, chimps, sheboons. they also use terms like "Nappy headed hoes". why is it that Black women always have to be dogged out or the subject of ridicule on Yahoo??? I remember back when Lupita N'yongo got the cover of a magazine and there was nothing but hate posted towards this woman. they dogged her out so bad like she was some criminal or something. Whats funny is that everyone is so quick to call Blacks racist, but yet anytime you go to an article about a Black person many of the comments are racist against Blacks. Still to this day, I never see a Black person come on here and call other race of women "straight headed hoes". and you rarely see Blacks posting racist comments on White or Asian articles. but yet we're so "racist". Has it ever occur to some of you that maybe this is why many Black people still believe they are still being racially discriminated against in 2014? or as you all like to say "pulling the race card" Give this woman a break. why even come to an article to rant about someone you don't like??? Since her and other Blacks are so "ugly" then why not go and find a story about a woman you do find attractive. There are many attractive woman to see on the internet. this is why racism will always be an issue in this country. people on here are always out to disrespect and insult each other."

-Cas

Source:https://celebrity.yahoo.com/photos/2-hot-to-handle-week-of-august-18-2014-slideshow/?bcmt_s=p&bcmt=1408865302234-b328d9f9-ac1f-4740-8a6e-e73647aacdad&_profileOut=comment

0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 03:58 am
@Setanta,
I never said racism is justifiable, I was mentioning why it exist within the African-American community as with all philosophies, there is a pathology to how ideas and belief systems come about. As far as the language I'm using I don't see how me saying the word SOME then in parenthesis explain what I mean by that word is vague. That is clear and direct as anyone can get. Perhaps you need to stop being selective when reading my posts.
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:38 am
@Buttermilk,
Why don't you can the f*cking snotty remarks about my reading.

Buttermilk wrote:
The internet is a wonderful thing but it also demonstrates the internalized racist mentality that I firmly believe a lot of whites have.(emphasis added)

You also wrote:
I have no hope for the United States.

Don't ;iss down my leg ant tell me it's raining.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 05:17 am
@Setanta,
Your point in this post is?

And yes your reading is ******* horrible because you're selectively choosing what I'm saying.....
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 05:31 am
@Buttermilk,
You are selectively quoting yourself to try to cover your pathetic ass. Your rhetorical skills suck, i've seen that since you first arrived here. My poimt is that you have, by inference, attempted to claim that most whites are racist, but want to weasel out of it by referring to the single instance of you writing "some." As i've already pointed out, that's a sufficiently vague term. You're a waste of time, and i suspect you're an unreconstructed racist.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 09:09 am
@Setanta,
LOL you're in my thread discussing this and its very convenient to call me a racist without proof and you are overanalyzing my words. Dude be gone because this sidebar discussion takes away from what we're discussing here. If I truly was racist, believe me I'd have no problem using pejorative lingo here towards members here of (using the words of a member here) an "Anglo dominated" discussion forum.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 09:23 am
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
LOL you're in my thread discussing this and its very convenient to call me a racist
without proof and you are overanalyzing my words. Dude be gone . . .
O, my goodness!
U r throwing Setanta out of your thread.
I don t believe that I 've ever
seen that happen before! Good for a laff !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 10:11 am
Oh no . . . i've been shown the door . . . what will i do ? ? ? Where will i go ? ? ?
0 Replies