firefly

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 02:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
We are starting to get some good testimony as to his state of mind in those last months, even though the family is not talking.

You're just not listening.

His wife said he had been battling severe anxiety and depression--which were long-standing problems for him--and was fighting to maintain his sobriety. That tells you his state of mind.

In the past he had described his behavior as "revolting" when he had been drinking, and it was a family ultimatum that had gotten him to stop after his last 3 year relapse, although by that time, his drinking had broken up his second marriage. Maintaining his sobriety was very important to him.
Quote:
We can surmise that he felt much the same way about dying with Parkinsons as he did dying baked.

No, "we" can't surmise any such thing. And he was nowhere near dying or being significantly incapacitated by Parkinson's.

Nor can you surmise he committed suicide because of financial difficulties, since he had more than adequate assets, or because he lacked work, since he had finished 4 as yet unreleased films and had future projects lined up. Whatever concerns he had, and voiced, about such things might have been blown out of rational proportion by the general level of anxiety and fear he seems to have always experienced. He was a troubled man.

Give it a rest already. Stop trying to prove "his life was crap"--by any measure, he was quite objectively successful until the end. He was never averse to taking roles simply to pay the bills, he fully understood the kind of business he was in, and he remained in demand in that business.

Whatever constellation of factors contributed to his severe depression and anxiety at the end, these were in the context of his life-long mental health problems with these emotional states. And you will never know what tipped the balance a week ago, and made his state of mind too intolerable for him to endure any longer. There was no external acute crisis in his life a week ago that makes his suicide a rational reaction, he was fighting long-standing emotional demons that just overwhelmed his ability to cope with them any longer.

Perhaps the final investigation report of his death will shed further light on his suicide, perhaps not. But your trolling the internet looking for clues is not going to do that, despite your arrogant belief that you can diminish this man's complexity and individuality so you can turn him into a stereotype that will fit one of your so-called theories or promote one of your various agendas.

His untimely death was tragic and shocking, and a terrible loss for his family and world-wide fans and admirers. He was a uniquely gifted comedian and actor--truly one of a kind. And the outpouring of grief for someone universally described as kind, gentle, caring, and generous, with his time, money, and talent, seems very genuine. He was very admired and he is missed.

All you seem to be doing is picking at his carcass for your own self--aggrandizement and amusement--to try to yet again prove you are always right, that you are some sort of great truth seeker. In the end, it's always all about you.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 02:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
The personas that both Belushi and Williams had created were so manic and so brilliant...keeping that illusion going for decades was maybe not even possible. But then you dont do it and you stand in front of fans who are disappointed and wondering if you are OK because you are not acting like " Robin Williams". Ya, that is a tough place to be.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 02:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
It is very likely that Williams made a clear headed choice using logic
and based upon facts/evidence that he did not want to stick around.
No. If he 'd done THAT,
then he 'd not have bet his life on the tensile cohesion
of a belt and its buckle. It was obviously a very impetuous act.

hawkeye10 wrote:
That is where I am today.
U too ?
Don t do it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:01 pm
@firefly,
You wrote with which I agree,
Quote:
All you seem to be doing is picking at his carcass for your own self--aggrandizement and amusement--to try to yet again prove you are always right, that you are some sort of great truth seeker. In the end, it's always all about you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Williams especially had some very nasty things to say about fame.
WHAT ?
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
One of Robin Williams closest friends was a Zen Priest. He didn't question how he died.

Quote:
Robin William’s Last Gift

Robin and I were friends. Not intimate, because he was very shy when he was not performing. Still, I spent many birthdays and holidays at his home with Marsha and the children, and he showed up at my 70th birthday to say “Hello” and wound up mesmerizing my relatives with a fifteen minute set that pulverized the audience.
When I heard that he had died, I put my own sorrow aside for a later time. I’m a Zen Buddhist priest and my vows instruct me to try to help others. So this little letter is meant in that spirit.
Normally when you are gifted with a huge talent of some kind, it’s like having a magnificent bicep. People will say, “Wow, that’s fantastic” and they tell you, truthfully, that it can change your life, take you to unimaginable realms. It can and often does. The Zen perspective is a little different. We might say, “Well, that’s a great bicep, you don’t have to do anything to it. Let’s work at bringing the rest of your body up to that level.”
Robin’s gift could be likened to fastest thoroughbred race-horse on earth. It had unbeatable endurance, nimbleness, and a huge heart. However, it had never been fully trained. Sometimes Robin would ride it like a kayaker tearing down white-water, skimming on the edge of control. We would marvel at his courage, his daring, and his brilliance. But at other times, the horse went where he wanted, and Robin could only hang on for dear life.
In the final analysis, what failed Robin was his greatest gift---his imagination. Clutching the horse he could no longer think of a single thing to do to change his life or make himself feel better, and he stepped off the edge of the saddle. Had the horse been trained, it might have reminded him that there is always something we can do. We can take a walk until the feeling passes. We can find someone else suffering and help them, taking the attention off our own. Or, finally, we can learn to muster our courage and simply sit still with what we are thinking are insoluble problems, becoming as intimate with them as we can, facing them until we get over our fear. They may even be insoluble, but that does not mean that there is nothing we can do.
Our great-hearted friend will be back as the rain, as the cry of a Raven as the wind. He, you and I have never for one moment not been a part of all it. But we would be doing his life and memory a dis-service if we did not extract some wisdom from his choice, which, if we ponder deeply enough, will turn out to be his last gift. He would beg us to pay attention if he could.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 03:35 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
In the final analysis, what failed Robin was his greatest gift---his imagination.

We are into the woulda/coulda/shoulda's here but good point. Ram Dass for instance suffered a stroke which robbed him of a great portion of his gifts...his response was to reinvent himself. 15 years later by accounts he still lives a rich, but vastly different, life.

EDIT: I think the imagination failed because he became paralyzed with fear. The trauma of Belushi and Reeves really came back to kick Williams in the ass. This also fully explains why the quality of his work got so bad.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
When you're in a hole you just don't stop digging.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I’m a Zen Buddhist and my vows instruct me to try to help others.

Try that again shall I.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The trauma of Belushi and Reeves really came back to kick Williams in the ass. This also fully explains why the quality of his work got so bad.

Do you just make things up?

What makes you think he was experiencing any "trauma" relating to Belushi or Reeves at this point in his life?

Where did "the quality of his work got so bad"? Where's the evidence of that? Why was he getting such consistent work, with future projects lined up, if that was the case?

These were simply his most recent roles...

2013 The Big Wedding-- Father Monighan
2013 The Butler-- Dwight D. Eisenhower Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
2013 The Face of Love--Roger
2014 Boulevard-- Nolan Mack
2014 The Angriest Man in Brooklyn-- Henry Altmann
2014 Merry Friggin' Christmas-- Mitch
2014 Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb-- Theodore Roosevelt
2015 Absolutely Anything--Dennis the Dog (voice)

Even for his recent TV series he was nominated for a Critic's Choice Award

2013–2014 The Crazy Ones Simon Roberts 22 episodes
Nominated – Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Actor in a Comedy Series

I don't doubt he might have become "paralyzed with fear" at the end because that was also the reason he gave for falling off the wagon in 2003, he said he experienced anxiety and fear "about everything" and began drinking for relief--he had very long-standing problems with severe anxiety and depression.

But the man was still turning in good performances, winning critical acclaim, and working constantly. He was far from being washed up in his career which continued to include a wide diversity of roles--even at 63, when many movie actors do slow down in their output. Within a fairly short recent period of time, he worked in 8 movies and starred in a TV series. And you think his career had become "crap"? Who are you trying to kid?

He took his life for his own reasons, which will never be known to you.

Whatever he struggled with at the end, which provoked or exacerbated his severe depression and anxiety, you seem particularly clueless about it, and you simply come up with one disjointed or simplistic reason after another, further highlighting the fact you are speaking from total ignorance of the man or what he was like.

He had ongoing mental health problems--which he acknowledged--throughout his life. And, unlike you, he didn't try to blame these on external factors.

izzy is right, you just keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper...

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:15 pm
@firefly,
I stand by my diagnosis, all of the known parts of the puzzle fit.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I stand by my diagnosis

http://sandygrason.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/spittake.jpg
firefly

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

I stand by my diagnosis, all of the known parts of the puzzle fit.

You haven't explained a thing.

You certainly haven't explained why, on Saturday evening, he was able to attend an art gallery reception, where he chatted and laughed with others there for over an hour, and seemed in good spirits, but a day later he was in such hopeless despair that he hung himself with a belt in his bedroom.

A major part of the puzzle is why he couldn't tolerate what he was going through a little longer, he was seeking help for his depression, so dying was apparently not his first choice. Most severely depressed people do not commit suicide. And what he displayed at that art gallery was some reserve of inner strength. Just the fact he went to the gallery reception showed some desire to continue to participate in life.

You haven't solved the puzzle at all.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

I stand by my diagnosis

You're not a doctor. You're not a family member. You're not a friend. You've arrived at some very unkind words about an individual you didn't personally know, but you "stand by your diagnosis."

Wow! Such an ego with no basis for your diagnosis. We can all see, it's about you, and not Robin Williams. He just happens to be your target, because it's top news this past week.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So why do you all feed it?
Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:21 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Izzy is right, you just keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper...

... but it's all OK 'cause it's all in the name of seeking 'truth', right?!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:30 pm
@Ragman,
I have been doing exactly what his biographers will be doing, now we see if they get the same answer after months of research and taking first person accounts as I got sniffing around the internet for two days. I am done here unless some information surfaces which changes my mind....I found the answers I was after.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not really; his biographers aren't going to desecrate his passing like you have on a2k. Not even close.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 08:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

So why do you all feed it?

Excellent point, osso. I've had the hawk-turd on ignore for ages now mainly so I won't be tempted to fall into the trap of reading and responding to his idiotic inanities. If these others didn't keep quoting him, I'd have no idea what nonsense he was spouting now.