revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:51 am
I couldn't believe it at first. Truly sad. I have a feeling it won't be so cut and dried by the time the investigation gets through. An odd way to end it. Is it common?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:07 am
There were so many movies that I forget he was in many of you mentioned some others that were interesting --

Good Will Hunting
Awakenings
Mrs. Doubtfire

There are more but those stick in my head.

Ironic and sad that someone that makes everyone else laugh so much.
revelette2

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 08:13 am
@Linkat,
I thought he was pretty good in the movie RV.

Robin Williams Movies List
That must be out of date.

RV (2006)
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 09:02 am
Quote:
A bench in Boston's Public Garden has become a memorial to Robin Williams. Some famous quotes are written below.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10306740_10152642181239445_1778508831976309929_n.jpg?oh=08f1280861d15e41b5192d807046cb70&oe=545C1636&__gda__=1417217097_4260c5031f44df58ba2d6cc6e76cb04e

didn't make the connection last night, but -- duh! -- of course this is the good will hunting bench...

http://lifevsfilm.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/good_will_hunting_22.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 09:16 am

Does anyone know if he left an explanatory note ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 09:22 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
of course this is the good will hunting bench...

Quote:
Good Will Hunting was filmed on location in the Greater Boston area and Toronto over five months in 1996. Although the story is set in Boston, much of the film was shot at locations in Toronto, with the University of Toronto standing in for the interiors of MIT and Harvard University. The classroom scenes were filmed at McLennan Physical Laboratories (of the University of Toronto) and Central Technical School. Harvard normally disallows filming on its property, but permitted limited filming by the project after intervention by Harvard alumnus John Lithgow.[4][clarification needed] Likewise, only the exterior shots of Bunker Hill Community College were filmed in Boston; however, Sean's office was built in Toronto as an exact replica of one at the college.[5]

I remember this because of all the cast/crew sightings around town - I'd just moved back to Toronto and looked forward to the reports of what clubs the cast was going to.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:21 am
I was listening to the radio this morning while driving home from my morning coffee at McD's. They were talking about Robin Williams and his range of characters he played. A rare genius of his craft.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:22 am
There was one bit in The Survivors I really loved. Playing a survivalist out in the forest, he somehow (I've forgotten the circumstances) ended up in a gunfight with a professional hitman. Having used up the bullets in his gun, Williams yelled"timeout - I'm out of bullets". The hitman found this so endearing, he played along.

ps... it wasn't until I went to an Oliver Sachs lecture that I grasped how perfectly (and I do mean perfectly) Williams did him in Awakenings.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Wow..."What Dreams May Come"... That was one of the most surreal movies I've watched...I was expecting Salvador Dali to make an appearance.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:33 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Wow..."What Dreams May Come"...

Yep. That one is a tearjerker too. Very beautiful to boot. Smile
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:44 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:
Wow..."What Dreams May Come"...
That was one of the most surreal movies I've watched...
I was expecting Salvador Dali to make an appearance.
He was a really nice guy in that one. His widow had committed suicide.
Now, he can subject its subject matter to empirical testing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:57 am
I was thinking that it is often not reported now if a suicide note was left....turns out the government actually has guidelines for reporting on suicide.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/suicide-prevention/recommendations-for-reporting-on-suicide.shtml

But no David, I dont know if there was a note.

On a side: this might be a good time to talk about how old people are often killing themselves now. It seems that boomers dont feel compelled to stick around if they are not having fun anymore.

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 11:03 am
@hawkeye10,
Why delay arrival in the loving arms of Vishnu?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 11:13 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
[Were there 9 other Hawkeyes?? R there more than ten??]
I was thinking that it is often not reported now if a suicide note
was left....turns out the government actually has guidelines for reporting on suicide.
Thanks for the link; how 'd u find it ?
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/suicide-prevention/recommendations-for-reporting-on-suicide.shtml
It makes "recommendations" so I guess
its not censorship, unless the sheriff actually follows them.

hawkeye10 wrote:

But no David, I dont know if there was a note.

On a side: this might be a good time to talk about how old people
are often killing themselves now.
What 's your favorite way?

hawkeye10 wrote:
It seems that boomers dont feel
compelled to stick around if they are not having fun anymore.
Well she 's a little upset about Old Father,
but I 'm pretty sure that its not that bad.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:06 pm
@revelette2,
Ha forgot about RV --- when you think of his movies -- he really played a variety of characters.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:38 pm
@Linkat,
What a shame, very sad for his family, friends and his fans.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Seems to me that "opting out" ought to be a reasonable and morally inoffensive way to dealing with "life."

I would much prefer to have the means of a peaceful and efficient end available to me if I choose to take that route...rather than some of the ways society seems to prefer.

I am reminded of the note (perhaps apocryphal) left by poet Richard Brautigan, who killed himself with a pistol shot to the head: "Messy, isn't it?"
firefly

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 12:56 pm
He hanged himself with a belt.

The end of the belt was wedged between a closet door and the door frame, and he was found in a seated position, slightly suspended, with the belt looped around his neck.

He had also made some superficial cuts on one wrist.

They are not saying yet whether he left a note.

I think the method suggests this may have been a spontaneous act rather than something that was carefully planned.

It is so tragic that he was driven to such a desperate act. He had been seeking help for his depression.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:38 pm
@firefly,
I remember my first tour in Vietnam when our Tour Director met us with "good morning Vietnam" when we all got on the bus. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 02:56 pm
@blatham,
For me it's not Vishnu...it's calorie-free food, eternal youth &energy, boundless knowledge....darn it..but--I'm still bound to those who seem to need me. So-- can't go just yet.