firefly

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 05:20 pm
Quote:

Robin Williams' final pictures: Hollywood actor looks frail as he visits art gallery a day before his death
Aug 15, 2014 09:58
By Lucy Buckland, Claire Rutter

The photos were taken as the late actor and his wife attended an art gallery reception on Saturday night near his Bay Area home.
http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4055685.ece/alternates/s615/PAY-robin-williams-main.jpg

The last known pictures of Robin Williams have emerged showing the late Hollywood actor looking frail.

The photographs, obtained by TMZ, were taken as the comedian and his wife attended an art gallery reception on Saturday night near his Bay Area home - his body was found on Monday.

A local artist who had his works featured at the event told the website that the pair were there for an hour and seemed in good spirits.

In one photo, you can see the Hook actor dressed in black trousers and a black polo shirt and wearing glasses, smiling as he talks to a group of people, while his wife stands close by.

Another, taken from behind, shows him looking drawn and frail as he carries a black coat under one arm.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/robin-williams-final-pictures-hollywood-4052132#ixzz3AbDBJH4G

He had apparently lost a good deal of weight, which would not be surprising if severe anxiety and depression had been interfering with his appetite. But obviously, he was good at masking whatever he was feeling when out socially. He engaged in conversation and laughed, and, other than his wife, no one at the gallery seems to have had any idea of what he was experiencing internally.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco, thanks for that

I'm going to have to look up that Actor's Studio interview.
firefly

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 06:47 pm
This 4 year old interview with Williams is very revealing--particularly about the fear and anxiety "about everything" he experienced at times, as well as the vulnerability he felt as the result of his open heart surgery. The interviewer described him as seeming somber and "mournful".

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/sep/20/robin-williams-worlds-greatest-dad-alcohol-drugs

It's not difficult to imagine how a diagnosis of Parkinson's might have affected an already emotionally vulnerable individual--it's a very tough diagnosis for anyone to receive--and his anxiety and depression about what the future might hold for him, and for his loved ones, may well have been overwhelming. We don't know how long he had been suffering from Parkinson's, or in what ways it had already affected him, or his fears about it becoming public.

We'll likely never know exactly why he decided to end his life now, although he may have feared that if he lost his grip on his sobriety, he would seriously imperil the quality of life he did have left, and might lose what mattered most to him--the love and respect of his family--and he may have felt he was losing that battle with the bottle. Maybe choosing to die was his way of taking control, or taking the only option he saw as offering control. Maybe his suicide was done on impulse, in response to overwhelming anxiety and depression he just had to escape from. I don't think we'll ever know.

It's just very sad that, this man who brought such laughter to others, had such a tragic end.

But, it's clear in that 4 year old interview, linked to above, he did have a dark side that he often concealed with his manic humor.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'm going to have to look up that Actor's Studio interview.

The Actor's Studio interview wound up being something like 5 hours long but it was edited down to two hours. It was fantastic. He was incredible.
Quote:

As Lipton reveals, Williams's installment of the series was the first-ever two-hour episode: The actor actually spoke and performed for the audience for over five hours, but Lipton and the producers simply couldn't bear to edit the performance any shorter than two hours, according to the DVD extras.

Lipton was unable to even ask his first question for the first nine minutes of Williams's appearance, and it took seven minutes for him to get to his follow-up.

Finally, the part of his appearance that's passed into legend: Lipton confirms on the DVD commentary that one member of the audience was actually taken away in an ambulance after the show, having developed a hernia from laughing so hard at Williams.
http://www.people.com/article/robin-williams-inside-actors-studio

I know segments of it are on YouTube, but I'm not sure if they have the entire thing.

This is one part I love--particularly the improvisation with the pink shawl.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:11 pm
@ehBeth,
There's one of those odd connections here, for me, what is the saying, six degrees of separation? a work colleague in my days of yore grew up living near the Marshalls and raved about that family..

so I looked up the work colleague, older now by a lot of decades, but that made me smile, same guy, probably still funny, with white hair. Kind guy, still doing good medical things.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Usually when someone dies, people take note and offer sympathy to the family. If I had known it was "guess how screwed up somebody's life was" I would have stayed home.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:32 pm
Jesus, Mary & Joseph!

Could we all just let the guy rest in peace?
Just remember him for all the wonderful memories and moments he gave us over the years. From laughing to crying as he spanned the different emotions in his many and varied roles.

At the end of it all, it's none of our business what or why he chose to depart.

As to any letter he may have left, it ain't ours to know and maybe there wasn't any. Not everyone leaves a note, I know my pop didn't. Sometimes the pain is just too much to withstand any longer.

Thanks for sharing yourself with us Mr . Williams.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:37 pm
@firefly,
Thanks firefly.

I was just looking at another section of the episode.

Laughing so hard.

"why is tonight different from all others?"

more segments are currently on youtube through

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClIDr5xmgmhhlDAj6dTmeMQ

they may be taken down at some point

________

1 hour/34 minutes at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDy5GlUuf8
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:41 pm
@Sturgis,
I certainly second that.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 07:50 pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10540919_1262831890471178_4209591074416831001_n.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:06 pm
This is sweet.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=562898057166681&set=vb.188805197909304&type=2&theater
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:15 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
At the end of it all, it's none of our business what or why he chose to depart.

I reject that argument, Robin Williams was a very visible member of a group that we know almost nothing about because they used to be so rare but now are common but unstudied....middle aged men who kill themselves. We should not lose this opportunity to talk about what happened to him and why, and then after hopefully what happens to this group and why. We can not fix what we do not understand, and because this person was much loved and much known digging into his experience has a rich potential to help the collective .

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/15/robin-williams-not-the-only-one-suicide-affecting-new-cohort-of-people-statistics-show-middle-aged-men/
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
"Unstudied?" You gotta be kidding!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

"Unstudied?" You gotta be kidding!

Sadly no

Quote:
Last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States found the rate of suicide for people aged 35-64 increased 28.4% between 1999-2010. For men, the greatest increases were between the ages of 50-54 and 55-59, at rates of nearly 50% each.

“The actual numbers are throwing this curveball at us,” said Dan Bilsker, a clinical psychologist in Vancouver who has spent 25 years working with suicidal patients at Vancouver General Hospital. “Something new has developed socially here, some new phenomena is happening. We don’t really have the wherewithal to understand it.
A lot of the prevention campaigns have been targeted to teenagers, he said, or to the population in general, with little gender or age-specific information beyond that.

But that’s partly because “the research really hasn’t been done,” he said. “If I were giving out research funding, I would be asking people to do extensive, real research and exploration with middle-aged men to find out what might be the factors that would be driving them to suicide? What are the stresses that are particular to that point in life, even to people who’ve been objectively successful? What might cause someone to feel subjectively that they’re failing or that they have failed?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/08/15/robin-williams-not-the-only-one-suicide-affecting-new-cohort-of-people-statistics-show-middle-aged-men/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:19 pm
@hingehead,
Doesn't work for me, might be my computer.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 08:22 pm
@hingehead,
Sweet indeed.

thanks hingehead
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 09:37 pm
@hingehead,
Indeed. How sweet that is!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah, it is a flash video.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 01:31 am
@hawkeye10,
I'm interested in the fact that I grieve for his family and that the world lost a funny human being. I am only interested in the fact that such a man who brought happiness to the world, was unable to cope with life from within. As far as speculation on his "demons" I leave that between him and "God."

When people are depressed to that extent, unfortunately they lose the will to live and their ability to cope with life becomes extinct. I know, I felt that way when my mother died. If you couple this mentality with drug abuse you become fixed in a vortex of pain and despair. I'd rather not speculate on the how's and the why's of Mr. Williams' death.
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:48 am
@Buttermilk,
My mom used to say
"When I was a kid, people just "dropped dead". Now everybody's gotta know WHY"

My mom, the populist philosopher.