revelette2

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 09:43 am
@Ragman,
Not sure what I said to have this reply. I have no trouble accepting he may have had a reaction from anti depression medicine. In personal life I knew of at least one person who had the exact same thing happen to him. He was a nice man, well liked, loved by his family and he loved his family. It was a shock, but he had been taking anti depression medicine as well and it was thought that is what caused him to commit suicide.

I simply wondered (perhaps vulgarly) why he hung himself rather than take a lot pills. If I was to do such a thing, pretty sure that's how I would do is all I was saying.
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 10:42 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I simply wondered (perhaps vulgarly) why he hung himself rather than take a lot pills. If I was to do such a thing, pretty sure that's how I would do is all I was saying.

To me the manner he used first trying to cut his wrists open and then using a belt with one end jam on the top of a closet door seems all to point to a very impulsive act and not one that was thought out beforehand.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 11:34 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
I think he was just trying to find a quiet, non violent way to end his life because of his depression

My reply was in response to your statement. It's not meant as (harsh) criticism.
revelette2

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 12:30 pm
@Ragman,
Sorry, been a bit sensitive lately. My response was to that Romeo (whatever his name is) fellow rather disgusting post before mine where he was speculating there was some sexual aspect to Williams hanging himself. I said non violent, because of his attempt to slit his wrist not being carried out, it would make little sense if you are too squeamish to slit your wrist to then go and blow your brains out.

I agree with ya'll, the whole line of dialogue is distasteful so soon after his death and I am contributing to it just the same as Hawkeye and that other fellow.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:11 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I agree with ya'll, the whole line of dialogue is distasteful so soon after his death and I am contributing to it just the same as Hawkeye and that other fellow.
how far we have come from the days when suicide was a sin, an offense against God, a sign of weakness and depravity. Now it is " the poor thing, he must have been in so much pain!". Questioning this evaluation of the situation is I am told offensive.

So be it, I am after the truth regardless of the emotional response this endeavor drums up.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Truth seeker??? All this time I just thought you were a jerk. My mistake.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh. I had the impression the whole thing was a tribute/memorial thread. Suddenly, it looked like it had been hijacked by The Westboro Baptist Church.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:31 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh. I had the impression the whole thing was a tribute/memorial thread. Suddenly, it looked like it had been hijacked by The Westboro Baptist Church.

that would be so strange for A2K to have two running threads about the same guy who just offed himself, one tribute one questioning why he did it. Another thing, I see nothing in the thread title or her first post that the thread starter even intended this to be a tribute thread. If you are not interested in why he did it simply pass over my posts, it will save you aggravation.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 01:34 pm
Yet another reason to doubt the storyline " robin williams is gone because of brain chemistry":

He was JUST in an inpatient facility with hoards of pro's running around...are we to believe that no one noticed that he was depressed? Are we rather to believe that they noticed but were totally incompetent at helping him? This seems to me to be a huge stretch.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
You don't surprise me any more about your ignorance on so many subjects.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 02:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You don't surprise me any more about your ignorance on so many subjects.

you don't surprise me anymore when you make bold claims but then make zero effort to support your claims.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:03 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Truth seeker??? All this time I just thought you were a jerk. My mistake.

Hawkeye is always right. He, like the self-styled prophet he is, claimed Williams committed suicide because of money. He can't back down now. When it was revealed Williams had Parkinson's, his response was that it would have diminished his earnings power.

In Hawkeye's world the truth is something that conforms to his wild imaginings. Contemplating the alternative, that he might be wrong, is something he can't do.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:17 pm
@izzythepush,
My argument is that it is not obvious that Robin Williams is dead because of brain chemistry. I have given many reasons why it is not obvious, some of which deal with his financial situation. I have made no claim as to why he killed himself, and I have said at several points that I am attempting to find the truth about why he killed himself.

I know it is hard for you, but please attempt to follow along.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 03:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Why do you think it's so much likely that when Williams discovered he had Parkinson's his first thought was, "That will diminish my earnings capacity," not "Oh my God I've got Parkinson's?"

Why do you have this pathological need to be right even when it's so glaringly obvious you're wrong? Even your loyal and trusted lieutenant BillRM can't swallow this particular line of bullshit.

If you're wrong about this, you might be wrong about something else, and you can't bear the fact you might be wrong about something in particular. It's something you ought to talk to a professional about.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Parkinson's is just one of the many ways his life had come to be full of suck, which is why we cant assume that brain chemestry was the reason he decided to go. I can see how he might have done a very logical evaluation, with "go" on one side of the page and "stay" on the other, and to at the end conclude that suicide was his best move.

I dont know what was going through his mind however, as those who were close to him have so far given very conflicting testimony. Looking at the reality of his situation is a good place to start in figuring this out.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're not looking at the reality, you've already made your mind up. This is all about trying to save face.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:35 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You're not looking at the reality, you've already made your mind up. This is all about trying to save face.

If you had 30 more IQ points you would know that picking a position and then trying to argue it with others who have picked other positions is how combat in the arena of ideas works. Arguing a position does not imply a personal belief that the views argued conform 100% with reality.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
No it doesn't, you don't pick a position and stick to it doggedly. Maybe in a school debating society, but definitely not in real life, not when new evidence comes to light. It's about dealing with something as it develops. Refusing ever to admit you're wrong doesn't make you look strong, it makes you look ridiculous. And you looked pretty ridiculous on page 1 of this thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:55 pm
Meantime, a good remembrance article, about Penny Marshall and Garry Marshall and their old friend Robin -

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/08/25/old-gang

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/72384780-320-351.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't think hawk ever learned about "don't assume," because it makes an _____________________!"
0 Replies