I need some advice/guidance

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 06:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't be quiet. I appreciate your input!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 06:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm so glad we never had these kinds of secrets. Mo's OM and OF have always been talked about and we've welcomed several of their family members as part of our lives.

I can't imagine dealing with this starting from no information. At least I know all of the people involved.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 06:48 pm
@Lash,
True. My problem is I don't want to influence boom. I know that doesn't usually bother me, but now it does, and yet I pipe up.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 06:52 pm
I really think you should make no plans until you meet with her first. You say she is nice, so she may very nicely tell you that she can't /won't have a meeting with your son. Who knows?

No sense getting him worked up until you know what her intentions are.

My nephew's birth mother got real defensive when she was asked questions, so be careful. She was always jealous about the opportunities he had with us.

It would be nice if your psy friend could take him if there is a meeting. She would be able to "read" the situation and handle any awkward moments between Mo and his birth mother.

Good luck anyway.

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
We had that "real mom" thing happen once.

I told him something along the lines of "Well you're my real son. I'm telling my real son ______________."

I don't think he'd ever thought of it from the other side. "Realness" hasn't come up again.

I hope the dread offers me some protection because it has reached some panic attack levels.

Mo has had a charmed life with us. He's a happy person. He has a good head on his shoulders. I don't have any fear that he will un-love us. Even when he "hates" us, he loves us.

Since I started writing this post I got a call from Good Aunt, OF's sister, to discuss the meet up between OF and Mo. Now I need to put together a letter to contact him and assure him that everything will be okay.

Honestly I feel like a parenting a tribe right now.

It looks like August is going to be crazy.
boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
I haven't told him that I've heard from his OM. I'm not going to until I've had a chance to talk to her.

He has been harassing Good Aunt about the meeting with OF (she told me today). OF has been wrestling with the idea but has decided he's ready. Now he's harassing Good Aunt to get things set up.

I need some serious stamina to get through August.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Your influence is welcome. I'm interested in hearing everyone's ideas.

In the end I'll make the decisions that work best for Mo. Right now those decisions are to roll with it.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:22 pm
@boomerang,
You're up to it, sister.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:36 pm
@boomerang,
I do know you wouldn't just obey me (snort!). Just that I'm not sure enough on my galloping viewpoints and may hoist a stupid one only to regret it.

Also, now OF is in this? how did that happen? Is that the pissant again? Well, I suppose it is natural.
boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
The OF thing has been going on since April: http://able2know.org/topic/240694-1

Good Aunt is his OF's sister. Bad Aunt is his OM's great aunt.

Confused yet? Me too!

Edit: That link doesn't seem to be working. Go to the search bar and look under "adoption" for a thread called "So Mo is going to meet his father".
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:54 pm
@boomerang,
Somehow I missed that, or think I did.
Tomorrow.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 07:54 pm
@Lash,
I hope so, Lash!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 08:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Acknowledging parenting is tough is hardly an “ode,” to parents, and because it's such a very tough job doesn't mean every parent is good at. Quite the opposite.

Yes, there are plenty of terrible parents around the world and a lot who never should have had kids. I know some personally and it's a great shame, but the children these failures have are not all failures themselves. People can survive terrible parents and become wonderful people, and wonderful parents. It's very difficult, but it happens. All children reach an age when they are capable of making decisions based on what they have learned from life; not just their parents. Having lousy parents is not an excuse that mature and self-aware adults make.

Similarly very good parents can have terrible kids. Genes come into play, but just as children with lousy parents can and do make good decisions, children with great parents can and do make bad ones.

I think you are over-generalizing about "today's kids." They do seem to be maturing at a slower rate than past generations, and, unfortunately, have developed a sense of entitlement that is as much a product of the society in which they live, as it is a characteristic their parents have instilled in them. However, criticism of the younger generation has been a favorite pastime of old farts for probably as long as there has been more than one generation. I know a number of kids who are just fine and in all likelihood will do very well in the wide wonderful world.

I’m always astounded and deeply disappointed by the level of ignorance that exists within every generation. It’s quite possible that the “educated classes” of the past were far more knowledgeable than they are today, but they were also a lot smaller. Today, there are millions of kids going to college simply to forestall their entry into adulthood and to participate in bacchanalia. For the middle class and above in this country, it is a given that children will go to college; that they have to, to succeed. Unfortunately college curriculums have been diluted to the point where just about anyone can obtain a degree. It may be an essentially useless degree, but they’re fairly easy to achieve. If college was ever meant to prepare kids for life, it doesn’t now, and they are being fed so much ideological crap they can’t help but carry it into the “real world.” Unfortunately, as well, our society does not really respect labor and as a result, kids who might be happier working as skilled technicians in any number of fields are forced by their parents as well as their own preconceptions to go to college and secure an essentially useless liberal arts degree. We should, as a society, be working towards an environment wherein labor is respected and trade schools and technical colleges are not viewed with derision as symbosl of failure or stupidity.

I don’t think the Baby Boomers, in general, have failed as parents, but the failing of many has to do with a desire to be perceived (whether by themselves or others) as young and hip. For a generation that placed such importance on being cool, it was bound to remain with a lot of them as they grew older. Few things sicken me more than hearing a Mother gush that she and her daughter are more like friends than mother and daughter! It’s a pretty good sign of a lousy parent too. Yes, you want to be friends with your kids in the sense that you want them to feel comfortable around you, to confide in you, and to enjoy a number of similar interests, but you shouldn’t want to be more a friend than a mother or father to your kids, and you shouldn’t want them to see you as a friend and not their parent. Friends don’t discipline friends and parents have to discipline children. If a parent foregoes discipline because it might interfere with their “friendship” with their kids they are not doing their job; not being a good parent. Teachers are afraid to discipline kids, because parents have made them pay too high a price for doing so, therefore if the parent doesn’t provide discipline in a child’s life, where will he or she get it?

I should note that by “disciplining a kid” I don’t mean punishing them. I mean introducing discipline into their lives. Teaching them to be responsible, to be industrious, and to forgo immediate gratification for greater future reward. To live life without discipline is to be a spoiled brat for your whole life, and unless you are born into great wealth, without being able to discipline yourself, you are not going to be successful. It is in this regard that I think Baby Boomer parents, in general, have failed the most.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2014 08:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Acknowledging parenting is tough is hardly an “ode,” to parents, and because it's such a very tough job doesn't mean every parent is good at

as a free range parent I never thought it was difficult. When I was a stay at home dad for 10 years, homeschooling as well, with a wife who was either deployed or working 70+ hours a week, I thought that I had a lot of stuff to do every day, but none of it was hard. The most exasperating part I found was the uncertainty, one never knows for sure that the decisions made are the right ones, one never knows how this project will turn out. I felt better though once I realized how resilient kids are, and once I believed " that which does not kill us makes us stronger".

Quote:
I think you are over-generalizing about "today's kids.
Ya, I am only going by having three, watching all of their friends, being in the schools for forever, and trying to hire young people for my restaurant. I probably dont know what I am talking about.

Quote:
I don’t think the Baby Boomers, in general, have failed as parents
I think Boomers (and tech I am one) have stunningly failed in just about every way imaginable. We will have to disagree on this.

Quote:
I mean introducing discipline into their lives. Teaching them to be responsible, to be industrious, and to forgo immediate gratification for greater future reward
that is part of it for sure. Todays youth have often lacked this part of discipline, as well as every other part.

All this is very tangential to Boomers issue of course, but this failure to raise our children well is one of the subjects that I am always wanting to talk about, one which is also rarely talked about. If there is any interest around here we should respect Boomer and take it to another thread.

Boom: I am very happy to receive the news of recent developments.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 09:03 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

as a free range parent I never thought it was difficult.

Why am I not surprised?

Quote:
The most exasperating part I found was the uncertainty, one never knows for sure that the decisions made are the right ones, one never knows how this project will turn out.

That's a big part of what makes it "hard." It's not particularly hard to change diapers, feed them three meals a day or get them to school.

Quote:
Ya, I am only going by having three, watching all of their friends, being in the schools for forever, and trying to hire young people for my restaurant. I probably dont know what I am talking about.

Why am I not surprised by this response either? I forgot you have millions of friends with kids, and have interviewed millions of kids for your restaurant. Over generalizing doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about as respects the dozens of kids you actually know.

Quote:
I think Boomers (and tech I am one) have stunningly failed in just about every way imaginable. We will have to disagree on this.

Yes we will

Quote:
that is part of it for sure. Todays youth have often lacked this part of discipline, as well as every other part.

See? We agree on something.

Quote:
All this is very tangential to Boomers issue of course, but this failure to raise our children well is one of the subjects that I am always wanting to talk about, one which is also rarely talked about. If there is any interest around here we should respect Boomer and take it to another thread.

And here's something else we agree on.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:16 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
The OF thing has been going on since April: http://able2know.org/topic/240694-1

That link works, boomer.

So Mo might meet with OF as well as OM in the next several weeks?

At least the situation with OF lacks the significant complication of the two girls.

Do the two girls know about Mo?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 06:31 pm
I have a tentative date set with OM and I just now sent off a letter to OF.

I was really hoping to have all this play out before school started but now I'm thinking maybe later is okay -- at least he'll have the support of his friends and of the counselors at school to help him through (his school has great support services and they all adore Mo).

I hope it all works out okay. Mr. B is so chill about it all that he's helping me keep my sanity.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 06:50 pm
@boomerang,
I was thinking of you today, thanks for posting.

My fingers are doing dance routines, depending on which fingers.

The school support, thank goodness.
boomerang

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for the finger dancing.

I'm just ready to move on to the next stage.

I haven't told Mo that I'm communicating with them because I don't want things to go sideways and have him be disappointed. I'm not used to keeping things secret from him. I think this is going to be the hardest part for me -- figuring out a way to tell him what has been going on during the last month.

I really don't think I can afford having him mad at me about it.

I mean "afford" in a totally selfish way.

UGH.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2014 07:29 pm
@boomerang,
Understand. Truth is good, but you know that.
He may have noticed you're odd lately..