I need some advice/guidance

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 07:38 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Why ask strangers

Here is where your advice goes off the tracks.

We are not strangers. We have been talking with each other on A2K for more than ten years, not just the ten days you've been here. Some of us have met each other in person, even traveling from other states and other countries to do so.

Talking and advising is what friends do for each other.
boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you. That's exactly the kind of reality check I needed this morning.

I'm a nervous wreck.

Bad Aunt showed up at Mo's football game yesterday and tried to pry information out of me. I remained tight lipped and kept my focus on the game. I still feel unsettled by it though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:09 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Seriously?

You've never needed advice? I don't believe it.

I've talked to most of these people for more than a dozen years. Even though I don't know them face to face they're hardly strangers.

I don't live in a vacuum. My life and experience influences other lives and experiences, and theirs influences mine. Living my life as if I were the only one that matters would mean I'm a sociopath.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Thanks, hawkeye!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:31 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Talking and advising is what friends do for each other.

Exactly!

Thank you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 12:08 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Putting aside whether we qualify here as friends, acquaintances or strangers, why not ask our advice? By requesting it, Boomer is not required to follow it, and if only 5% of what she receives is helpful, it's certainly worth what is essentially a minimal expenditure of effort and time.

In addition I'm fairly sure it is helpful for her to collect, develop and organize her thoughts by posting here. I know it would be for me.

Finally, this thread provides her with the opportunity to discuss the situation with people she knows are sympathetic to her concerns, and in some cases, people who have experienced very similar issues. This is a good feeling for almost anyone who is facing a problem.

It should be obvious to anyone who has been reading the posts in this thread that Boomer totally owns her situation and the decisions she is making. She acknowledges points she believes are helpful or which she may not have considered on her own and then she incorporates them into her decision making process. There is not a single example of her blindly following someone's advice. This is really a remarkable example of how giving and taking advice should work and it's rewarding to be part of it.

I have a feeling you have come with a canned solution for a problem that not only doesn't, in this case, exist, it doesn't even appear to exist. At its core, it’s good advice but you should save it for someone who needs it.

And here's a piece of advice for you, even though you neither asked for it nor profess to need it: No one has all the answers. Everyone, including you, can benefit from considering the different perspectives other people have on any given situation and, as importantly, the advice of people who have faced the same or similar challenges. If you only listen to yourself you'll never get the full story.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 12:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Everyone, including you, can benefit from considering the different perspectives other people have on any given situation and, as importantly, the advice of people who have faced the same or similar challenges.

In running my business I have found the collaborative method to be very helpful. I talk to a lot of people, and I listen to a lot of people, under the theory that 100 eyes are better than one, and 50 brains are better than one. I am always the decider..... I dont see how dialoguing with the collective diminishes me as an individual.

Quote:
If you only listen to yourself you'll never get the full story.

more importantly you will never learn or grow.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 12:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Another thing: in my business I listen to "experts" and I put more weight on what the "experts" say, but I listen to everyone and I have found that sometimes the "experts" are spectacularly wrong. I exited negotiations to buy a failing restaurant in large part because a well regarded restaurant consultant told me that in his opinion the brand was not salvageable. He told me that the interior of another place was cold and uninviting which I did not believe so I ignored him on that and stopped dealing with him too. That unsalvageable restaurant: somebody else bought it, and it is still around almost 4 years later.

Boomer could have only gone to the shrink that the school provides (I assume) and done what ever that person advised, because he/she is an "expert". Instead she is here, taking the temp of the wisdom of the crowd. I think she made the better choice, and I suspect that she feels the same.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 01:04 pm
@Butrflynet,
OEM is just a light bulb. It thinks it's the brightest thing on this planet. Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not only that, but many of us old-timers have met face to face and sometimes more than several times. Meets in San Francisco, Austin, Houston, Chicago, Albuquerque, New York, Philly, Boston, London, Lippstadt, and elsewhere has a long history.

On a more personal basis, I have met a2kers in Moscow, Hamburg, Bonn, and Mexico City.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 06:46 pm
As they drove away Mo says "That was an amazing experience. Thank you."

I think it's safe to say that the hardest part is over and that we're off to a great start.

I was getting worried though. About a half hour before they were due to arrive I found Mo sitting on the stairs, frozen. I sat down beside him and just stayed quiet for a bit. He looked at me and said "I'm so scared." All I could do was reassure him that no matter what, Mr. B and I were there and that nothing would ever change how much we love him.

He didn't speak at all for about the first half hour they were here and then something just.... shifted, and he was okay. A bit later he was talking and laughing and having a great time.

I was glad she brought the girls and the dog -- it was just enough commotion to make things easier. They were here for about 5 hours. Before she left she said that she'd like to come alone, and spend the day with him sometime soon. I assured her that we could make that happen.

The really interesting thing to me was how he connected with his sisters. It was wonderful. I think he had an idea of "mother", because of me, but "sister" was something completely new and it just seemed to fill some missing hole in him, and them.

He'd always told people he had sisters and no one believed him. They've always told people that they had an older brother and no one believed them. They quickly had inside jokes and could glance at each other with knowing looks. It reminded me so much of me and my siblings. One of the twins could be his twin. Seeing someone who looked so much like him was crazy. Crazy in a good way.

Before leaving they were all demanding that we come up with solutions for them to stay in touch with each other.

They're fun and funny and talk nonstop. OM insists that they're usually quite shy and couldn't believe what chatterboxes they were or how they so easily connected with him.

I've never scoffed at biology and I'm certainly not starting now.

I'm happy for Mo.

I'm happy for everyone.

I know there's still a lot more work/effort/negotiation/healing/life/everything ahead but right now I feel like things couldn't be better.

Thanks for sticking with me, my A2K friends. It's helped more than you can know.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 07:00 pm
@boomerang,
Oh, Boom (+), I'm so glad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 07:16 pm
@boomerang,
I am so glad the brother/sisters connection was made.

How amazing that one of the twins is a Mo-twin.

I had an experience earlier this year of seeing someone (other than hamburgboy, his older brother and their paternal grandfather) who really looked like me for the first time. It was really freaking amazing. After the initial shock, I felt this feeling of connection that I wouldn't have believed possible.

___

Yeah, work still ahead but you loved OM for a reason when she was a kid.

So so glad that the twins were there.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 07:38 pm
@boomerang,
I just breathed a sigh of relief, and smiled, after reading about the visit. I'm so glad it went well for everyone

I'm happy for all of you. Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 08:01 pm
@boomerang,
Well done mom!

I see an expanded family holiday season in your near future.

It would be neat to get the siblings together for Halloween and let them come up with a costume theme they could do together.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 10:55 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
As they drove away Mo says "That was an amazing experience. Thank you."

I think it's safe to say that the hardest part is over and that we're off to a great start.

I was getting worried though. About a half hour before they were due to arrive I found Mo sitting on the stairs, frozen. I sat down beside him and just stayed quiet for a bit. He looked at me and said "I'm so scared." All I could do was reassure him that no matter what, Mr. B and I were there and that nothing would ever change how much we love him.

He didn't speak at all for about the first half hour they were here and then something just.... shifted, and he was okay. A bit later he was talking and laughing and having a great time.

I was glad she brought the girls and the dog -- it was just enough commotion to make things easier. They were here for about 5 hours. Before she left she said that she'd like to come alone, and spend the day with him sometime soon. I assured her that we could make that happen.

The really interesting thing to me was how he connected with his sisters. It was wonderful. I think he had an idea of "mother", because of me, but "sister" was something completely new and it just seemed to fill some missing hole in him, and them.

He'd always told people he had sisters and no one believed him. They've always told people that they had an older brother and no one believed them. They quickly had inside jokes and could glance at each other with knowing looks. It reminded me so much of me and my siblings. One of the twins could be his twin. Seeing someone who looked so much like him was crazy. Crazy in a good way.

Before leaving they were all demanding that we come up with solutions for them to stay in touch with each other.

They're fun and funny and talk nonstop. OM insists that they're usually quite shy and couldn't believe what chatterboxes they were or how they so easily connected with him.

I've never scoffed at biology and I'm certainly not starting now.

I'm happy for Mo.

I'm happy for everyone.

I know there's still a lot more work/effort/negotiation/healing/life/everything ahead but right now I feel like things couldn't be better.

Thanks for sticking with me, my A2K friends. It's helped more than you can know.
CONGRATULATIONS, boomer!
That 's certainly very good news, indeed.

R u considering a pardon for Mo 's aunt ?

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2014 11:54 pm
I think I might deviate from the consensus here, I think this dinner going well is a result of picking a good person as a friend all of those decades ago, taking MO in when he was in need over ten years ago, and doing a good job of parenting him since then. This is delayed payback for lots of good decision making and lots of hard work.

"Karma" sums it up nicely.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 12:20 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Yes.

I think I do feel that -- as much as I can never having experienced having a daughter. I feel very protective of her. I have since I met her.

But my loyalty, love and concern lies with Mo and Mo alone.

It's weird.

Maybe I can talk to her about it. I have to think of how that might work. I really think she'd be all "please don't worry". That would be good.

Right?

Great to read how well the visit went!!!

I don't believe that some of all this isn't going to bring up some difficult emotions for OM....and Mo....but I could be wrong, of course! Part of this is she may be triggered by something said or experienced in the course of the unfolding of this new situation.

In our culture, it's an odd situation you are in...though increasingly less so. In many cultures kids being brought up outside of the mother/child situation is not odd at all...though it's usually some sort of blood or marriage relative. Thing is, I think you have achieved emotional blood relative status, you and OM.

I think as long as she is able to recognise and reflect on any bumps, then it is good, right.

I love that Mo was able to reflect on how scared he was and that he took his time to adjust.

Great he is having such a good year!!! And that he has an attuned person at school.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 01:02 pm
I've been reading along quietly.

I'm glad things went well.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 11:09 pm
I am so glad that everything worked out so great for Mo, the girls and OM and yourself. This can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship for all Smile

Good job, boomer!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2014 11:29 pm
@boomerang,
Big smile

Congratulations.
0 Replies