Setanta

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:22 am
So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

Good, it's about damned time.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 04:37 am
@hawkeye10,
Yes indeed good Christian morals like killing gays or children that talk back to their parents for that matter or working on the lord day.

Hawkeye let see do you happen to have that restaurant of your open on Sunday?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Christian Morals!?!?

I was just reading about this guy. I don't understand why Christians would stand up for such a loud-mouthed fool.
OmSigDAVID

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:59 am

I 'll stand up for FREE SPEECH,
but not necessarily on someone else 's property
nor on someone else 's (paid) time.

David
OmSigDAVID

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:01 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
re Duck Dynasty:
Good to know!
Your post does not make sense, Hawkeye.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Just been reading that the whole family is likely to pull the plug on this show if the ban on this idiot is not removed.

Going to be fun indeed to see if the network is going to be willing to loss tens of millions of dollars and piss off well over 10 millions viewers to be PC or not.

As a shareholder of the network I do not think I would be happy right now no matter what my opinion of this loud mouth gentleman happen to be.

0 Replies

panzade

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Right on the money
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:17 am
@hawkeye10,
He wasn't fired (yet), he was suspended.

Chances are that the folks at A&E read the entire GQ interview, not just the media headlines before they made that decision. There's more in there than preaching Christian morals.
maxdancona

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:36 am
@JPB,
I would also point out that, should they choose to bring this fellow back to the show.... this controversy probably won't hurt the ratings.

There is nothing that A&E has done so far that goes against what I would do, if my goal was to get as much publicity out of this as possible.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:45 am
@JPB,
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson?currentPage=1

he may be smart but he's also a bit of a nasty bit of business

my guess is that he knew what he was doing - and what the reactions would be

nasty
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:41 am
@JPB,
Quote:
There's more in there than preaching Christian morals.

Yeah the re-write of Southern Civil Rights history with nappy-headed Nigaros happily working alongside Phil in the cotton fields...the whole article is fascinating reading.
0 Replies

BillRM

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 01:23 pm
A&E have screw itself big time.

Quote:

http://www.eonline.com/news/492909/duck-dynasty-family-very-serious-about-leaving-the-show

NEWS: Phil Robertson suspended from Duck Dynasty over anti-gay comments
It's also fair to assume that A&E needs the series more than the family does. Duck Dynasty is A&E's highest-rated show of all time, and has put the cable network on the map. It is the second-biggest cable series of the year, behind AMC's The Walking Dead, and the Christmas special pulled in nearly 9 million viewers.
Meanwhile, the Robertson family has plenty of financial stability (for, arguably, future generations), thanks to their estimated whopping $400 million fortune. More than half of that comes from their retail brand, currently being sold at Wal-Mart, which could possibly get pulled in the wake of the scandal, as the mega-chain did with Paula Deen in the wake of the N-word controversy. But even still, the family's Christmas album also hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts. They appear to remain a viable brand, for the time being. And they also have a show called Buck Commander on the Outdoor Channel. (A rep for the Outdoor Channel has not responded to request for comment regarding the future of the show.)
A source who works on Duck Dynasty believes the Phil Robertson controversy "can't end well," citing that the network has nowhere now to go. And the most likely scenario is that the series will end up being cancelled.
NEWS: Duck Dynasty's $400 million forture: will Phil Robertson's comments crumble the empire?
"If the network backs down and they bring Phil back, they look weak," one insider explains. "If they stand their ground, the family probably won't move forward and A&E loses their highest rated show." Not to mention,
"No one can really imagine the show going forward without Phil. It would be too weird."
A&E has not responded to request for comment.
0 Replies

firefly

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 01:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sarah Palin's been protesting the suspension of this man. So, why, if she's such a champion of free speech, didn't she protest MSNBC's firing of Martin Bashir because of the remarks he made about her?

These right-wing, and Christian evangelical types, are very selective about who, in the media, they want to see have freedom of speech and freedom to express opinions.

The man from Duck Dynasty was not espousing "Christian morals"--he was expressing his own personal opinions, based on his own personal interpretation of morality, and his views of certain people. That's exactly the same thing Martin Bashir did in his comments about Palin.
hawkeye10

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 02:34 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Sarah Palin's been protesting the suspension of this man. So, why, if she's such a champion of free speech, didn't she protest MSNBC's firing of Martin Bashir because of the remarks he made about her?
there is no comparison, the duck guy did not call out anyone, he did not even talk about any individual, he was talking about how to live. He was also expressing his religous views, the verbal attack on Palin had nothing to do with any religion.
hawkeye10

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 02:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
the thing that gets me most here is that the network set out to mine profits and controversy from goofy rednecks, so they have no right to get all sanctimonious when these goofy rednecks say goofy redneck things.

"I am shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that there is gambling going on here!"
panzade

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 02:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
That''s actually true...nobody ever believed Phil was speaking for A&E.
That's why it just appears to be a publicity stunt.
hawkeye10

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:08 pm
@panzade,
Baldwin was fired for stuff he said to paparazzi, which had nothing to do with his network either. the reason for this though was "we dont want to give air time to anyone with your low morals", my point though is that allegedly low morals (being goofy rednecks) is exactly and fully the reason these duck guys were given airtime in the first place.
firefly

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
there is no comparison, the duck guy did not call out anyone, he did not even talk about any individual...

He was calling out, and demeaning, entire groups of people...
Quote:
He was also expressing his religous views, the verbal attack on Palin had nothing to do with any religion...

Because this man couches his rather offensive views of others in terms of his personal religious beliefs, and morality, doesn't mean a thing. Religion is not the issue here.

Martin Bashir's comments were primarily about slavery, and reflected his moral and ethical beliefs about that topic, and his feelings about Palin's allusion to slavery in remarks she had made.

That Palin protests this man's suspension, as a freedom of speech issue, but fails to protest Bashir's firing, on exactly the same grounds, reveals the complete hypocrisy on her part, and on the part of the other right-wing and evangelical types who are doing the same.

The real issue is the lack of consistency in supporting the concept of free speech. Those who want to support "free speech" ought to be supporting it without being highly inconsistent, or highly selective about it, if they expect to have any credibility.
firefly

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Baldwin was fired for stuff he said to paparazzi, which had nothing to do with his network either...

I didn't agree with Baldwin's firing either. Both the situation with Baldwin, and with Bashir, could have been handled in a better way, on-air, in terms of an apology, and a discussion of why their remarks were misguided and "wrong"--which both have acknowledged-- rather than getting rid of them.

I watched Baldwin's new interview show, and I enjoyed it. It was a wonderful change from the relentless political commentary on MSNBC, and considerably better than what they usually broadcast in that time-slot. And I also felt that Bashir also brought something different to MSNBC--what they've stuck in as a replacement for him is same old, same old.

So, MSNBC just lost me, and probably many others, as a viewer in those time slots. Behind that, I fail to see what they accomplished.

But, as is the case with these corporate decisions, they do what they feel is in the interests of their bottom line, and their "image", and what they think they need to do to keep their advertisers happy. And I don't really have a problem with that.

I'm addressing what I see as as the hypocrisy on the part of those, like Sarah Palin, who choose to support the concept of "free speech" selectively and inconsistently.
0 Replies