restaurant users

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:12 am
@JTT,
3 oralboyesque rants in a row. Calm down old chap, you're overheating.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:16 am
@izzythepush,
You have as much difficult as Contrex in honestly facing up to the facts, Izzy.

You, of all people, shouldn't be pointing fingers at Oralloy. You could be twins.

Did you only father one congenital liar?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:18 am
@JTT,
This entire thread is a monument to your inability to face up to facts.
contrex

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

What 's a womble ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:26 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Do you think he had a brother in the Merchant Navy?
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

That's hilarious coming from a guy who has done nothing but lie his ass off, a guy who has brought his daughter along to lie her ass off, admitted he lied his ass off, has been told by a third party that he lied his ass off, ignored said third party telling him that he and his daughter both lied .

Now what facts am I not facing up to?
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:31 am
@contrex,
For a liar and thief you certainly have got balls, Contrex, or more likely, given how well you've exhibited your "bookish nature", you just ain't all that bright. In this you've found a compatriot in Izzy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 10:55 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Now what facts am I not facing up to?

Now that's cheating. Some things you just have to work out for yourself.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 11:14 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy the liar works his wonders. Is TheSubliminalKid the liar taking over for you on the next shift?
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 11:54 am
@izzythepush,

http://able2know.org/topic/225044-5#post-5478341

Izzy:
Quote:
Paintings are hung, people are hanged. For someone who claims to know a lot about the English language you sure do make a lot of fuckups.

I'm afraid that it's you that has made the fuckup, Izzy. That comes from your deep ignorance of how the English language is used.

Quote:
Thought about a new avatar at all?

Thought about a new avatar at all?

==============

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hang

transitive verb
a : to fasten to some elevated point without support from below : suspend
b : to suspend by the neck until dead —often hanged in the past —often used as a mild oath <I'll be hanged>

intransitive verb
a : to remain suspended or fastened to some point above without support from below : dangle
b : to die by hanging —often hanged in the past <he hanged for his crimes>

Usage Discussion of HANG
For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions <he was to be hanged, cut down whilst still alive … and his bowels torn out — Louis Allen> but hung is also used <gave orders that she should be hung — Peter Quennell>. Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings <by morning I'll be hung in effigy — Ronald Reagan>.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 12:05 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

What 's a womble ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles

Thank u, Contrex.
I guess that her children became good boxers ?

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 12:25 pm
@JTT,
I don't give a monkeys what Webster's says, it's American.

This is going better than I thought. Why have you only posted this on two threads I've responded to?

I think you need to post this on all the threads I've been posting on.

When you do that, everyone will think you're way cool.

Go JTT!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 12:32 pm
@JTT,
So what you're saying, is that you're going to talk in a particular way because an American told you to.

You're a real free spirit ain't you?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 12:37 pm
@izzythepush,

Quote:
About 80,300 results (0.40 seconds)

Showing results for JTT is incredibly anal

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 02:46 pm
Is this a picture of JTT?

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1416830/thumbs/o-SAVILE-570.jpg?6
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 03:10 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

The assertions about google results were so far devoid of soundness.

True enough, but keep in mind how ofthe she/he/it used to post google hit counts to supposedly prove some language useage or another.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 03:13 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

This is going better than I thought. Why have you only posted this on two threads I've responded to?

I think you need to post this on all the threads I've been posting on.

When you do that, everyone will think you're way cool.

Go JTT!
I cannot begin to guess what JTT cud possibly have said
to bring on that post (and I'm afraid to open Pandora 's box
to look, because I know that JTT is in there along with plague n pestilence),
but is it oxymoronic to use "you're way cool" and "JTT" in the same post??

David
izzythepush

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 03:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
but is it oxymoronic to use "you're way cool" and "JTT" in the same post??

Ironic.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

As I told McTag, your two views [together, in their entirety, with the addition of Contrex's] aren't worth a pile of dung.

Your comment above illustrates just how ignorant you are as regards language. Please do not pass yet another of your innumerable miserable "qualities" on to your daughter. She has enough to get over with you as her pa.

The following, from Geoffrey Pullum, one of the co-authors of the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language.

Professor Pullum is from England. He grew up in West Wickham, Kent.

Quote:
Where, then, can one get evidence of what decent writers really do, as opposed to what Strunk and White [and McTag, Izzy and Contrex] wrongly imagine decent writers do, given that they simply lie about it? The unhelpful answer would be that you read millions of words of fine prose and remember what you've seen. But there is a shortcut you can use to get to that evidence: get hold of a really good usage book.

And the best usage book I know of right now is Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage (ISBN: 0-87779-633-5). This book — I'll call it MWCDEU for short — is utterly wonderful. Detailed, but tight-packed, and great value (exactly 800 pages for $16.95 — roughly 2 cents per page plus the cost of a small regular coffee).

I own no stock in the Merriam-Webster company and get no commissions on sales. If they published a rubbishy book, I'd tell you. And if The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language were better for this purpose, I'd definitely say so; but it isn't — not if you want usage advice as opposed to systematic and detailed grammatical description.

The Cambridge Grammar is big and somewhat technical, and doesn't cite literary examples, and it doesn't give advice. The book you need is MWCDEU. Throw your Strunk & White away, and hang the pages on a nail in the guest outhouse for emergency use. Or tear out the pages and use them as liner paper for the bottom of the parrot cage, if you have a parrot (change the paper at least weekly, and wash your hands afterwards). Then get hold of MWCDEU, and keep it away from the parrot (parrots are jealous birds and will tear up things they can see you value).

MWCDEU explains what actually occurs, shows you some of the evidence, tells you what some other usage books say, and then leaves you to make your own reasoned decision. It won't tell you either that you should split infinitives, or that you shouldn't. But it will give you a number of examples of writers who do, and point out that the construction has always occurred in English literature over the last six or seven centuries, and that nearly all careful usage books today agree it is entirely grammatical, and it will then leave you to decide.

In other words it treats you like a grown-up. Strunk and White treat you like the abused 9-year-old daughter of a pair of grumpy dads ("Omit needless words, damn you! And fetch my slippers. And bring his slippers too. Now fix our supper. And don't let us hear you beginning any sentences with however"). Don't put up with the abuse.

Posted by Geoffrey K. Pullum at January 15, 2005 01:25 PM

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001803.html

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2013 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
So what you're saying, is that you're going to talk in a particular way because an American told you to.

Can you come up with anything stupider, Izzy? I really think you have hardly begun.

Apology accepted from you and TSK.