mcook

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:20 pm

"This is where I come from."

I was asked why we need the word "from" in the sentence above.
The only answer I can think of is that "come from" is a set phrase indicating a person's home country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 8,156 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:50 pm
@mcook,
And what would your sentence look like without the word 'from'?

"This is where I come".
0 Replies

LisaMc

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 12:32 am
@mcook,
'This is where I come' sounds like an incomplete sentence. It doesn't seem to make sense to me. It might mean at some point in a situation/conversation where you make an entry but I am not sure about it. If you wanna convey that you come from a certain country, culture or ethnic background then ' This is where I come from' is the best way to sum it up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2016 03:18 am
LisaMc sounds as though "she" is not a native speaker of English. "Where do you come" is unacceptable because there would be a snickering implication of sexual behavior. "Come from" distinguishes that locution from others created by adding a preposition to the verb come. "This is where i come in" means that this is the point at which the speaker becomes active. "This is where i come up" means that this is the point at which the speaker becomes the topic of discussion. "This is where i come down" means that this is the point at the speaker takes a stand or makes a forceful statement.

"Come from" is necessary to distinguish a statement in which the speaker is literally stating that this is his or her place of origin, or in which the speaker is figuratively stating that something is his or her point of view.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2016 10:10 am
@mcook,
"This is where I come" is fine.

Q - "Where is it you are coming?" - "This (here) is where I come."
cpatch

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 12:42 am
@mark noble,
"This is where I come" is a perfectly fine sentence if someone is, say, showing off their favorite coffee shop or nightclub. This is where I come for coffee, this is where I come to dance, etc. If someone is trying to describe their origins it doesn't work at all-- the preposition "from" completely changes the sentence.
0 Replies

English Brew

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2017 09:53 am
@mcook,
"This is where I come" sounds awkward and unnatural. It's an incomplete thought. You need "from" to complete the thought.

This is where I come
-to party
-when I feel sad

Even in conversation:

Where do you go to drink coffee?
This is where I come (X)
I come here (O)
I go there (O)

I agree with the person who said "this is where I come" sounds sexual.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

0 Replies