Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 07:51 pm
Hi,
Is this sentence grammatically correct?
My participation in this program will benefit me with a head start on my medical education.

I have asked this question in various different forums and cannot get a straight answer. Some people say that it makes sense while others say it is awkward. I am well aware that it is awkward. All I am asking is if it correct on grammatical terms. Does it break any grammar rules? Would it be alright if I used this sentence in an essay for school? Please let me know. Smile

Thank you,
SGS

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 07:53 pm
It is grammatically correct, and a perfectly acceptable use of the vocabulary. I find nothing awkward in the construction of the sentence.
Sydney-Strock

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 08:04 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you, Setanta.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 08:13 pm
You're welcome.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:05 am
Why aren't you concerned about the awkwardness of this sentence?

How about:

My participation in this program will give me a head start on my medical education.

or

My participation in this program will benefit me by giving me a head start on my medical education.

Sydney-Strock

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:40 am
@PUNKEY,
I already used the sentence by accident. I was typing a paragraph on the benefits I hope to receive and I, without thinking, typed "benefit" instead of the word "provide." I didn't notice until after I turned it in.

I was just hoping that it was grammatically correct, so the teacher would understand what I was trying to say.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 11:49 am
The sentence is correct. We have any number of loons here who think that the answer to any English language learner's question is to re-write what they've written. My advice is to ignore those whose approach to English language learners is no more perceptive than that.
oristarA

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 08:29 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Why aren't you concerned about the awkwardness of this sentence?

How about:

My participation in this program will give me a head start on my medical education.

or

My participation in this program will benefit me by giving me a head start on my medical education.

Yes PUNKEY. Both are better.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2016 08:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The sentence is correct. We have any number of loons here who think that the answer to any English language learner's question is to re-write what they've written. My advice is to ignore those whose approach to English language learners is no more perceptive than that.

Your opinion that "the sentence is correct" is good, but not good enough as to have the right to ridicule PUNKEY as a loon, whose kindness for English learners makes A2K more attractive.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 02:11 am
@oristarA,
You don't know what the hell you're talking about, but we've known that for quite a while, especially ever since you blew up here and began attacking other members. What you refer to as Punkey's kindness is not kindness at all when all she ever does is to re-write their sentences, without apparently taking heed of the question or questions in the OP. You seem to think that you've become some sort of expert commentator on English, but your English is not anywhere near as good as you seem to think it is.
saab

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 03:09 am
@Setanta,
As a non native speaker I like to have a few words in the discussion.
Someone asks if a sentence is correct. If it is - let it be.
If the words are exchanged with other words it might not fit the book, the text or the teacherĀ“s question.
If the sentence is corrected too much according to Oxford Dictionary it might sound as if someone helped you too much. Also an overly correct language as learner sounds stiff.
I think setantĀ“s answer the right way to answer.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 03:57 am
PUNKEY's way of helping seems to encourage the OP to find the right answer himself/herself by offering him/her better writing. It is practical, because PUNKEY's English sound crystal clear and natural. Her kindness is undeniable.

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 04:06 am
@oristarA,
Certainly Punkey's failure to answer the question which has been asked is undeniable.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 04:27 am
The purpose of learning English is to use English in reality, and there are many different ways to achieve this goal.

And Punkey's is one of them. By demonstrating good examples She shows learners the way of how to use English properly.

She has spent her energy and time to help learners free of charge. Such kindness, such Samaritan behavior, should be honored, rather than be smeared.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 04:46 am
@oristarA,
As usual, you demonstrate poor English skills when you get all worked up. Punkey did not answer the question which was asked. That is the purpose of such threads. The author here even returned to say that he (?) could not rewrite the sentence. Did you not understand that? Did you not read it in your hurry to smear me? I certainly don't need you, of all people, to explain to me how to respond to English language learners.

People responding to English language learners here in recent months have taken to simply re-writing their sentences, as though they didn't really read or failed to understand the questions asked. Re-writing sentences in that manner is almost never a useful response.
Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 04:51 am
Did you not understand this post? Perhaps you didn't even bother to read it in your rush to attack me. Your personal animosity is well known here.

Sydney-Strock wrote:
I already used the sentence by accident. I was typing a paragraph on the benefits I hope to receive and I, without thinking, typed "benefit" instead of the word "provide." I didn't notice until after I turned it in.

I was just hoping that it was grammatically correct, so the teacher would understand what I was trying to say.
oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 08:59 am
@Setanta,
Yes, I "smeared" you by saying "Your opinion that "the sentence is correct" is good." So what can have honored you has to be "Your opinion that "the sentence is correct" is bad."

Your psychology has gone morbid, which led you to think that my defending Punkey's normal behavior in helping others be equivalent to attacking you.

But my judgement of your answer as good is right, and I think that Punkey might have thought that your answer is enough to make the OP rest assured, so she decided to go a little further to help him/her by offering more natural expressions.

This demonstrates that your morbid psychology has disturbed your English understanding in practical use.

You've made the same mistake as JTT ever did. When JTT, in order to bully you, went astray psychologically and often attacked you improperly by saying how poor your English is.

Setanta wrote:

As usual, you demonstrate poor English skills when you get all worked up. Punkey did not answer the question which was asked. That is the purpose of such threads. The author here even returned to say that he (?) could not rewrite the sentence. Did you not understand that? Did you not read it in your hurry to smear me? I certainly don't need you, of all people, to explain to me how to respond to English language learners.

People responding to English language learners here in recent months have taken to simply re-writing their sentences, as though they didn't really read or failed to understand the questions asked. Re-writing sentences in that manner is almost never a useful response.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 09:42 am
@Sydney-Strock,
Quote:
My participation in this program will benefit me with a head start on my medical education.

Punkey is correct when she says that the sentence sounds awkward, and that you should drop the word with, and use the word give instead of the word benefit. Since you cannot retract what you have written in your essay, this advice is for future reference.
Sydney-Strock

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 06:51 pm
@Glennn,
I know she is. Did you read my response to her? I meant to use the word provide, but I did not notice that I used the wrong word until after I submitted it.

Did you also see that I mentioned I was aware of the awkwardness?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 07:04 pm
@Glennn,
Did you read the OP?