Do you understand what "Transition overground" means?

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:11 am
Hello!

This question is for those who does not speak Russian. I would like to know whether the sign "Transition overground" of Russain railways is understood by non-Russians. The sign has the English words "Transition overground" and a pictograph of a man climbing stairs. What would this sign mean to you if you found yourself near a foreign railway? It would be interesting to get aswers from the native speakers of English and from those who uses it as a foreign language. I take part in an active discussion of this question in Russia but we have not asked non-Russians yet Smile

Thank you if you answer.

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:15 am
@Alexander7,
Quote:
The sign has the English words "Transition overground" and a pictograph of a man climbing stairs. What would this sign mean to you if you found yourself near a foreign railway?

It means my train to Vladivostok is leaving from platform 2 in 10 seconds.

I would assume that the sign means "Stairs to Platform
два".

I would further assume that there is another sign showing a pictograph of the considerable carnage involved in crossing the tracks by jumping onto the lines with a big red circle and a line struck through the heart. But I'd still take the short cut.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFBEfU5ddDZnhFhOP-GjoZ_0C26diQcD7QeiD8XDScHVbQ8WUarw
Alexander7

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:38 am
@Miss L Toad,
Thank you very much! Your explanation shows that the sign is not quite clear but your "alamy stock photo" shows approximately what the Russian railways mean Smile
Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:39 am
Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:46 am
@Alexander7,
The pictograph is clear.

Your name reminds me of a question.

Can anyone tell me who invented the steam engine?
Alexander7

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:05 am
@Miss L Toad,
There were many inventors but it seems that some guy from Alexandria was the first: http://www.livescience.com/44186-who-invented-the-steam-engine.html
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:18 am
@Alexander7,
I also think it means, "Go up the stairs to get to the crossover which takes you to the other side of the track", but I would have to think about it a minute. Maybe, "Upstairs to Track Crossover"?
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:25 am
@Miss L Toad,
Miss L Toad:
Thanks for that Seekers gem. One of the more underrated groups of their era.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:27 am
@Alexander7,
We call that a Pedestrian Overpass in Canada.

http://cdn.xl.thumbs.canstockphoto.com/canstock28583605.jpg
Blickers

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:36 am
@ehBeth,
Seems to me that "Pedestrians Use Overpass" would be for the people walking on the sidewalk who want to cross over the train tracks. I think Alexander is talking about a sign telling people who are standing on an underground train platform how to cross over to the platform for the train going the other way.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:42 am
@Blickers,
that's our signage

<shrug>

Canadians seem to understand the meaning.

Blickers

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 12:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Not complaining about the signage, just wondering if they post that sign on underground train platforms, as well as on the sidewalks above ground.
0 Replies

Sage of Main Street

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 01:00 pm
@Alexander7,
It's not the way we would say it in English and would confuse people. A transition is not a movement of a person's body, like walking. It's more of a social movement, such as Communism to Capitalism. "Overground" also sounds strange. Both words are literally true, but it's like saying "I elected a new hairstyle."
0 Replies

Alexander7

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2016 12:50 pm
@Blickers,
Thank you for your answers. I think that the sign "Transition overground" is used at normal railway stations, not necessarily underground. As far as I understand, the sign is for people who are going to use a train very soon or have just got out of a train but the other people who stroll near or through the station can take the sign into account.
0 Replies

justoneplayer

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2018 01:34 pm
@Miss L Toad,
It means..I think ...that there is a "pedestrian walking bridge" that is not underground....I think it is called "pirijot" in Russian language.
0 Replies

dan solo

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2019 08:46 am
@Alexander7,
Transition overground means in that instance to travel via or over the rail. i guess its over because of the picture. you are transitioning ie: transiting from one place to another, and youre doing it by a method which travels along the ground rather than in the sky or over water or lava or a pit of snakes or something. i think
oh actually i like the last answer, as in as opposed to underground. that makes much sense.
0 Replies