Does this sentence make any sense in English?

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 10:31 am
Hi guys!!
So, I am a translator from English to Brazilian Portuguese and I am facing a sentence that I am supposed to translate, but I'm not even sure if it makes sense in English at all:

"A dropped object is any item or object that falls or has the potential to fall from height."

I mean, if the object is dropped, it has already fallen, am I right?

Please, let me know if I'm right or wrong to think that this sentence doesn't make sense. If I'm wrong, please explain to me the real meaning of the word dropped.

Thank you so much!!

View best answer, chosen by estherara
Ragman

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 10:55 am
@estherara,
Phrase does not make a lot of sense as it's redundant. A dropped object has to be dropped from a height.
estherara

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 11:00 am
@Ragman,
That's what I was thinking about! I have to get in touch to client... Thank you for your feedback!!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 12:28 pm
@estherara,

You are right, and the sentence is daft.

"Potential to fall" and "dropped" are obviously quite different.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 01:21 pm
@estherara,
A dropped object, Esth, is also one lying there before you but which got there by recently being dropped
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 01:58 pm
@estherara,
A dropped object is one which is either falling or has arrived at the end of its fall. If it merely has the potential to fall it might become a dropped object in the future, but it is not yet one. The sentence seems to be an inaccurate explanation of the meaning of "dropped".

McTag

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 03:55 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,

Fair enough.
0 Replies

estherara

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2015 06:50 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you very much... I was starting to think I didn't know the meaning of such a well known the verb hahahha
Thank you all who have also given an advice!
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 01:13 am
@estherara,
Note that not every falling or fallen object was dropped.
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 07:07 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
True, that's a good hint. Wait, a hint? That can be dropped, but not fallen.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 02:23 pm
Of course you could talk about a hypothetical or future dropped object. An object dropped from a high building might injure people on the ground.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2015 08:42 pm
Well, I think one of the vital questions is how you name an object that has the potential to fall from height. That is apparently an attempt by the author by using "a dropped object," which, we have now realized, is failed in achieving his goal.
selectmytutor

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 03:48 am
@estherara,
Yes, it has already fallen down.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 07:08 am
@oristarA,
One could say "a droppable object."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:01 am
@estherara,
estherara wrote:
Hi guys!!
So, I am a translator from English to Brazilian Portuguese and I am facing a sentence that I am supposed to translate, but I'm not even sure if it makes sense in English at all:

"A dropped object is any item or object that falls or has the potential to fall from height."

By itself the sentence doesn't make sense.

But it might depend on context. For instance, if you are translating rules for sports or some sort of game, "dropped object" might be a specific term that is being defined. In that case, the sentence might be correct.
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:20 am
@oralloy,

Disagree. A dropped object is an object which has been dropped. That's all.
0 Replies

Aging

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 10:48 am
@estherara,
Most people don't relate in a mental sense to gravity. Gravity can be good or bad. It is a law of physics. So how is this related to your question. I would say an object not held securely from a height has the potential of being drawn out of position by gravity and not stopping it's descent until it hits an unmovable object. We don't really drop things , the force of gravity pulls it away.
0 Replies

moucon

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2016 04:49 pm
@estherara,
Hi- you are exactly correct.
'Potential' energy is energy stored, ready to be released. If an object has already been dropped, it has fallen and has released its potential energy - it no longer has any potential. Therefore your sentence should read...

"A 'dropped object' is any item (or object) that HAS FALLEN from any height."

If you want to convey 'the potential to fall'...
'A 'SUSPENDED OBJECT" is any item (or object) that has the potential to fall from any height to a lower elevation.'

Although the cleanest opposite of 'drop' is 'rise'. So you could also say 'A RISEN object is any item that has the potential to fall from any height....

Finally- don't forget "Drop" and "Rise" don't only mean something physical falling from one elevation to another. Scientific readings, musical pitch, wind speed, and many other things can drop and rise.... you can also 'drop' (remove from your schedule) a college course. Good old English ;-)
Gary-Betsworth

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 03:20 am
@moucon,
It's 4AM here, so I'm not going to come up with anything definitive.

I just thought I'd chime in with a similar adjective-noun combination:
"found object," which is something used in found art.

Here, the sense is that something has been discovered (past).

However, "Found Art" is an existing genre of art.

OK, good night!
0 Replies