The Old Farts Thread

firefly

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:16 am
Speaking of old farts, there's a very lucky 84 year old in Florida. Her golden years will hopefully be even brighter now.

Quote:
Powerball Winner Claims $590 Million Prize
By BRENT KALLESTAD 06/05/13

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — An 84-year-old Florida widow who bought her Powerball ticket after another customer let her get ahead in line came forward Wednesday to claim the biggest undivided lottery jackpot in history: $590 million.

Gloria C. MacKenzie, a retiree from Maine and a mother of four who lives in a modest, tin-roof house in Zephyrhills, where the lone winning ticket in the May 18 drawing was sold, took her prize in a lump sum of just over $370 million. After federal taxes, she is getting about $278 million, lottery officials said.

She did not speak to a crowd of reporters outside lottery headquarters, leaving quickly in a silver Ford Focus with her son and family friends. She was accompanied at the lottery offices by two unidentified attorneys.

MacKenzie bought the winning ticket at a Publix supermarket in the town of about 13,300, which is 30 miles northeast of Tampa. It is best known for the bottled spring water that bears its name – and now, for one of the biggest lottery winners of all time.

The $590 million was the second-largest lottery jackpot in history, behind a $656 million Mega Millions prize in March 2012, but that sum was split, with three winning tickets.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/05/powerball-winner-590-million_n_3391182.html
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:11 pm
Esther Williams died today at Age 91.

http://able2know.org/topic/215762-1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 10:19 pm
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/936155_550259278350296_678999378_n.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 06:55 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
You must be years younger than me, kiddo.

Its nice to still be considered a kiddo.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:51 am
@firefly,
I read this new blurb yesterday. In that convenience store where the 84-yr-old winner bought the ticket, a woman with her children opted to allow the woman (selecting a quick pick) ahead of her. Apparently they both were opting for quick picks. Hence the kindly woman threw her chance at the $590M right into the wind!

I think she should buy this woman at least a McDonald's Happy Meal.
firefly

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 08:28 am
@Ragman,
That assumes that the randomly generated quick picks would have stayed in sequence, and were issued in only that one location, so that the other woman would have gotten that winning ticket had she not given up her place in line.

But the quick picks were being generated in several states, and thousands and thousands of locations, continuously, so the chances of winning were the same for everyone buying a ticket, each time a ticket was purchased. That other woman's chances of winning were not affected by her relinquishing her place in line. She might not have gotten the same quick pick numbers as the winner did, even if she had stayed in her original position. Her chances of getting those numbers were no better than mine were. Unfortunately, neither one of us lucked out.

I think it's amazing that there was only one winner, given how many tickets were sold. It's a staggering amount of money--not a bad return on a $2 bet.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 09:40 am
I didn't know there was an Old Farts thread. I should be here.

There is a sign on the wall of my garage:

KIDS! ARE YOU FED UP WITH BORING OLD PARENTS WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU AND WON'T LET YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT?
MOVE OUT, GET A JOB AND PAY YOUR OWN BILLS WHILE YOU STILL KNOW IT ALL.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:04 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I didn't know there was an Old Farts thread. I should be here.

Are you kidding, you should have started this thread.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 03:40 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I read this new blurb yesterday. In that convenience store where the 84-yr-old winner bought the ticket, a woman with her children opted to allow the woman (selecting a quick pick) ahead of her. Apparently they both were opting for quick picks. Hence the kindly woman threw her chance at the $590M right into the wind!

I think she should buy this woman at least a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Yes, I read that, too. It just reinforces my firm belief that nothing, nothing whatever, happens in this world by accident, coincidence or randomly. The 84-year-old was meant to win the millions.

(Edit: wrote that before I had read Fireflies take on it. I still believe in what I just said, though.)
firefly

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 07:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Actually, I wouldn't disagree with your take on it. There is room in the world for both statistical probability and destiny.

I'm glad for the 84 year old that she won it. I hope it makes her life easier and not just more complicated.
McTag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 11:33 pm
@firefly,

Quote:
I hope it makes her life easier and not just more complicated.

Me too but my goodness. Good luck with that.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 03:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico, we should elect McTag as the patron saint of this thread. Wink

Actually, I rarely concern myself with my gradual loss of memory.But I felt bad the day when I couldn't remember where I read of the elderly woman who wrote that her lower intestine were not just farting; they were actually blowing me (I took it to be me--I'm such a narcissist) a kiss. Such a romantic lady; I must meet her.
firefly

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 03:54 pm
http://www.lilesnet.com/paulshumor/cartoons/old-age-cartoons/humorous-cartoons-old-age-004.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 04:19 pm
@firefly,
Why won't that image come up on my screen? It's just a jpg.
firefly

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 04:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I dunno, LA. Sometimes the image appears for me when I access the page, sometimes I just see the link. I can see the image now.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 04:25 pm
@firefly,
Won't come up for me even after I copied the url. Won't come up on the 'Old Age' thread either. Is that the same pic you posted there?
firefly

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 04:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No, I posted a different picture in the other thread, and I'm able to see that one as well as the one in this thread.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 05:27 pm
@firefly,
Maybe it's just my 'puter. Hmm.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 10:43 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Tico, we should elect McTag as the patron saint of this thread. Wink

I second that nomination.
McTag

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 01:59 am
@Ticomaya,

Gentlemen, (or ladies and gentlemen) I'm touched.

But I'm sure there are worthier persons than I for your distinction.

I've just put the garden furniture out for my wife. She likes to sit out when it's sunny, but she needs a shade umbrella. I tell her she could get the same effect by staying indoors and opening the window.

She says I'm an old grouch.
0 Replies