The Old Farts Thread

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 03:08 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Same here:
Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /paulshumor/cartoons/old-age-cartoons/humorous-cartoons-old-age-004.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2013 08:34 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Won't come up for me even after I copied the url. Won't come up on the 'Old Age' thread either. Is that the same pic you posted there?

I just see the link name.

Here it is on imageShack:

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/1696/humorouscartoonsoldage0.jpg
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:11 pm
Speaking of retirement, I watched, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't imagine any Old Fart not enjoying it. It's about 7 seniors who decide to retire at a hotel in India.

I posted briefly about it in another thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/89366-93#post-5354924

Have any of you seen it? If you haven't, try to--it's funny, it's serious, it touches on the realities of aging, and it's uplifting-- and it's got a magnificent cast of fellow Old Farts.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 09:20 pm
@firefly,
Thanks for posting about that movie, because now I want to see it. That lady in the movie is the same lady who was in the last James Bond movie.

The Best Exotic Marigold; I must remember that name.
McTag

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 01:37 am
@cicerone imposter,

Dame Judy Dench.

Iconic and highly respected British actress.

Don't you hate it when females get called ACTORS?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:29 am
@McTag,
Mr. Green I do it myself, some times.
vonny

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 01:49 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

Have any of you seen it? If you haven't, try to--it's funny, it's serious, it touches on the realities of aging, and it's uplifting-- and it's got a magnificent cast of fellow Old Farts.

Bought the dvd fairly recently - a gentle little film, pleasant way to pass an hour or so.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hello, c.i.

Osso directed me here, claiming it's a sort of sanctuary for Old Farts. I guess my word will suffice for a guest pass, without showing credentials to verify my qualifications.

Osso also mentioned that you were discussing Madrid's Plaza Mayor. I lived in Madrid for nearly three years in the late 60's, until mid-1970. I'm thinking you might like to view a pair of contrasting photos of the plaza. But irrespective of whether you do or not, here's the Plaza Mayor on any typical day, Monday thru Saturday.

http://www.feelmadrid.com/plaza-mayor.jpg

And here's the plaza as it appears on a Sunday, the Rastro open-air market, commonly referred to as the flea market. Perhaps you took in the Rastro when you were there.

http://www.desigbarcelona.com/blog/files/2011/09/Rastro.jpg

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 11:59 am
@Debacle,
When I visited Plaza Mayor, the crowd was similar to the first picture.
Debacle

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 12:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That was my favorite time. I didn't care for the crowds, and seldom ventured there on a Sunday. But the difference is striking.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Mr. Green I do it myself, some times.

I do that too, and more as time goes by. What the heck. I'm not going to call a doctor of the female presuasion Doctoress Jones.
Debacle

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:33 pm
@roger,
Wow, Roger! I only caught wind of this old farts' thread this morning and already I've learned something, assuming what you implied is a fact. It would never have occurred to me there are doctors of female persuasion. If I ever thought about it at all, I would have considered that one of the martial arts. I really can't recall a time I've persuaded a female to do anything, unless it was to box my ears.

I do, however, take umbrage at being called a laundress because I iron my own aprons.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:45 pm
@roger,
My doctor is female, but she's the best physician I've had in my whole life! I think she's been my doctor for about three decades.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As an aside: my great-uncle was physician (doctor). My great-aunt was all her life "Frau Doktor" ... all her life, that's more than 40 years after his death. (Actually, she liked to be called "Frau Sanitätsrat" ["Sanitätsrat" was a honorary title given to a distinguished doctor until 1918]):

http://i44.tinypic.com/f4n4eh.jpg
Mrs. Doctor Joseph Schulte
Frances, née Eickhoff
Debacle

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 03:12 pm
@firefly,
I saw it when it first came out on DVD. Fantastic movie. That young Indian actor is great. Don't recall his name, I couldn't spell it if I did. But he's a terrific actor.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 03:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I really admire my nephew who goes to third world countries to train doctors at their hospitals. He's been to Cambodia and Laos, and I have provided him with connections in Bhutan who can provide the necessary government approval for his visit.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 10:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Attended a friend's 77th birthday party in South San Francisco. It was good to see old friends, and enjoy drinks and a good meal (prime rib for me), and to talk about old times.

Jack and I were roommates in Berkeley in the early seventies, and he was responsible for meeting my wife at a christmas party in San Francisco.

Time flies.

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:39 am
Maybe this is because I just crossed the threshold of being an old fart - but I play the spider solatire on the aarp website (maybe I was being told something when I did a search for spider solatire I don't know) - any way - Michael J Fox is now on the cover of aarp (or whatever the similar thing would be on the website) and he now looks like he should be. That is scary to me as I consider him of my age from shows I used to watch.

I still can't believe that Michael J Fox is the face of aarp.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:48 am
@Debacle,
Debacle wrote:
... I only caught wind of this old farts' thread this morning ...

As long as you're not breaking wind.
Debacle

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:34 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
As long as you're not breaking wind.

I wudna ... phfuuueerrt ... drem o' it, laddie.
0 Replies