The Old Farts Thread

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:20 pm
@Linkat,
Seniors are the victims of many forms of fraud; many lose their life savings, because they don't have the ability to understand that "you don't get something for nothing" and "get rich quick schemes."
Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 01:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
yeah it irrates me that these people take advantage of those that can least afford it and may have difficulty taking care of themselves.

I am going to give these bozos (the next time they call) a scam back - at the very least there may be just a few less old farts that are taken advantage of.
Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 02:33 pm
@Linkat,
They called again from yet a fourth number (at least I am assuming it is them - they didn't talk this time) - maybe if they call again I will scream HELP I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP!
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 04:41 pm
@Linkat,
Welcome to the club. Here's how one guy handled such calls.

http://www.hark.com/clips/qlztssnyzk-telemarketer-calls-murder-scene

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2013 05:05 pm
@Linkat,
I get those. Real chummy guy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 09:17 pm
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/995984_10151795931115729_1641607015_n.jpg
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:19 pm
It has been my experience that getting old is definitely not for sissies.

Hang tough, all you sexo- and septo- and octogeneranians!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 10:58 am
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1346107656727_9839617.png
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:06 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1346107656727_9839617.png

You know you're getting even older when you can't quite remember what else you might possibly want from this cute guy besides to carry your groceries.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:31 pm
I know I'm old, because for the first time ever I am putting a heating pad on my knee.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, regarding your signature line: It is highly probable that from a larger perspective both sides are wrong. Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2013 04:37 am
@JLNobody,
Well, jl, that is a chance we are going to have to take.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2013 08:05 pm
@JLNobody,
It's true that both sides of an argument can be wrong, but who's going to be the judge of that? Mr. Green 2 Cents
JLNobody

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 10:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
C.I., I was just expressing my general skepticism: I believe that if there is some absolute and objective Truth, we little humans with our linguistically bound notion of propositional truth (which depends on language for its form) must be wrong since Reality cannot rest on language which is our little human creation. I'm the judge of that and so are you; finally, there are only opinions and interpretations--and as Frank might put it guesses.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 10:57 pm
@JLNobody,
I would venture to opine that opinions based on language can be perceived to be true to the observer. Without some basis or foundation, life would have no direction, and every decision would be chaotic.

We know through experience that we can make decisions to direct our activities - even get married and have children - if that's our choice.

Some even decide to go to college, and select a profession that they wish to practice for their work.

We do have some control.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 04:46 am
Context is all important, CI and jl.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 05:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
We do have some control.

Like the components of crude oil does in a cat-cracking plant. Money, at the simplest level, being the catalyst in our case.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 11:17 am
Someone whose determination should inspire other old farts...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57600985/diana-nyad-completes-historic-swim-from-cuba-to-florida/
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2013 12:19 pm
On second thoughts, I'm not qualified to be on this thread.

(sniff-sniff) What's that musty odour I'm getting. Razz
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2013 03:39 pm
Someone who is my idea of a great Old Fart. Smile

http://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/betty-white.jpg?w=625

Quote:
Betty White already has many accomplishments to her name, and now she can add Guinness World Record holder to the list.

The 91-year-old actress has earned the record for “Longest TV Career for an Entertainer (Female),” which spans 74 years of work in the industry. White made her debut in 1939 and has since appeared on some of television’s most popular shows, including "The Golden Girls," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," and "The Carol Burnett Show." She currently stars in TV Land's "Hot in Cleveland" and hosted two seasons of NBC's hidden-camera show "Betty White's Off Their Rockers," which was recently canceled. She is also the oldest person to have hosted "Saturday Night Live" following a Facebook campaign to get her the gig.

“I was astounded when [Guinness World Records] called to tell me. Who? Me!?! It’s such as honor. The book has always been fascinating to me. I can’t believe I’m now associated with it,” White said of her appearance in the 2014 edition of the book, adding that acting hopefuls should “do their homework and take the time to appreciate their profession. It is a privilege to do what we do.”

I hope she keeps breaking those records.
0 Replies