Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 07:55 am
So there is an internal job here - that would be a slight promotion - not sure if my pay would increase or if it would just be an increase in bonus pool.

Any way - it would definately bring me out of my comfort zone - it is related, but not directly. I do meet the qualifications - but I am not familar with the systems they mention - it does say knowing these systems is beneficial - it doesn't say they are required. So in other words, the work is similar, but definately not the same.

Not sure if I should apply - if I were to get such a position (and I think it would be a long shot) - it definately would help as I would get experience outside of the investment word, but still within the financial industry - just corporate vs. investments.
sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 08:48 am
@Linkat,
That part sounds good.

There's been so much upheaval in your company, though -- sounds like it might be nice to get out of all of that, go to a new company. Instead of worrying about when the next round of downsizing is coming and what that will mean....
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 08:55 am
@sozobe,
well they haven't really been downsizing - just moving people - recently I've had meetings with my directs (well I do regularly any way) and I did remind them when they are interviewing internally to ask the question about possible moves.

The one thing - not that this can't happen - more corporate side seems to be New England based. Maybe moving - but they tend to move to less expensive locations in Boston like my building.
JPB

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 08:58 am
@Linkat,
Sure. Moving corporate would require moving themselves and they probably aren't going to do that when they can still operate with the staff elsewhere.

edit: I've become really cynical lately about the motives of decision-makers, particularly in larger companies.

Go for what's best for you and your family. It's hard to start over in a new company, but if it's now or later then maybe doing it now is the better option. Then you won't be the newbie later.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 10:02 am
@JPB,
Ha - just got a call from the recruiter. The company I'd really like to work for (smaller shop) - wants to me to come for an exploratory interview. I guess normally - they like to have a candidate interview with 3 people for a position. But it looks like the position might be slightly lower level for my experience. But they really like my resume and experience.

So this is positive - they like, but might not have the exact job - this could mean according to the recruiter that they have future potential jobs that will fit or want to see where I could fit in.

Man, I would love to work for them. The recruiter is trying to fit me in at a good time since it would only be about 45 minutes - normally I like to take the day off for an interview, but under the circumstances (they gotta know I'm looking) and where it is a shorter time frame - I hope to do it first in the morning.

At this point I am holding off from the internal position.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:03 pm
@Linkat,
so I went to the interview this morning. Great space - much nicer than where I work. Any way the woman I interviewed with was very personable, but also very professional. It was obvious she had specific questions that she wanted and specific details she wanted to find out about me.

It was a good interview, but hard to read her. I got some good information from her and from some of the questions I posed to her. I think I relied well by experience.

The recruiter already contacted me - she really liked me and wants me to come back next week for a full complete interview with 2 - 3 people.

Tomorrow I have another interview with another company - with two different people. I am already tried of interviewing - I forget how stressful it is and I am very tired. But not complaining - I'd rather have the interviews and than nothing.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
Oh and my husband may have a contracting job for the summer - he got a call from some one he had worked with previously and they need some one for the summer.

That could work well - as the kids could stay with my mom during the week if need be.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:05 pm
@Linkat,
wow, that sounds very promising. You're a lucky girl and probably can pick and choose where you want to work next. That's an excellent position to be in.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Promising for sure. Crossing my typing fingers. Expect followup typos.
Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:17 pm
@ossobuco,
thanks - I am lucky - I figured it would be tough to get a job in this economy and the level I am looking at. I don't necessarily think I will get a promotion in position - but it looks like a different type of role (in both cases) - which is always nice.

I was a bit worried afterwards as I was candid about my situation, what I was looking for and what my experience has been. Sometimes I think I am too candid - I don't think I was in this case, but I gave truthful answers where my weakness was in one case when asked about my writing skills - but did explain what I do to overcome it. It was a risk, but I do not like using "interview" words and what you should say - I do make clear where I am strong and am confident on my abilities.

My opinion is it should be a good fit for both - I explained that as well - as it would not be a good situation if either party ended up not liking the situation.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 08:00 am
@Linkat,
So the interview I had on Friday went so well, they do not even want to see me again.

Now I am in another situation. I like company A better (as a company) - they have a very thorough interviewing process. They do want to go forward, but I need to interview with 2 or 3 more people. They said this week - I've provided times/days. Supposedly they were trying to get me in tomorrow morning - still haven't heard.

So this other company is pretty much ready to give me an offer. I talk with HR and he asks if I would be ready soon and would consider working there. Me, I really thought I would be coming in again (now who in their right mind really wants another interview???). He did say he could set something additional up for me - either a phone or in face interview. I suggested a phone interview as really I don't want to get dressed up again trek across town and be seen in a suit at work.

So I still haven't heard from company A and I don't want to set up the appointment until I know when they are available so as to have two interviews at the same time - think bad sitcom situation.

I do realize I will have to tell company B I am meeting with other companies as they are ready to pull the trigger.

Second question - company B seems like it is going to offer (combined package) very close to what I receive in total compensation - salary much higher but their bonuses are low in comparison so maybe I would get an increase of $2k - about 1.5% increase. Their benefits are a bit about the same - maybe a little less. I'd really like to have a bit more of an increase 3% or higher to move.
sozobe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 08:03 am
@Linkat,
My first response is don't look a gift horse in the mouth -- I just know so many people who are having a hard time finding jobs.

But you seem to be very marketable to have gotten this kind of interest already. You probably know best.
Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 08:48 am
@sozobe,
I know - that is what I am thinking as well - tough and believe me I do feel very fortunate.

But I also want to make the best choice possible - I'd rather stay at a job long term so I want to make the best possible decision.

I think I will email that guy right now and see if he can set something up for Thursday over the phone as that is the day, I would least likely have the second interview.

And after that I will come clean and let him know I am interested, but feel I need to complete the process with the other company before making any final decisions.

Does that sound fair and understandable?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 09:14 am
@Linkat,
Hm, so are you waiting for company A to call you, or are you taking the initiative telling them that you need an answer as you have other projects lined up?

Frankly, the nonchalance that company A is displaying would be a turn off for me. If they were really smitten by you they would have contacted you....sometimes it is much more important to work in a nice atmosphere with good people vs. having a 3 % increase. Sooner or later you'll get there anyway.

For me personally the salary is secondary, work ethics and the entire environment is more important as I spend most of my time there, I have to like it.
Ragman

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 09:19 am
@CalamityJane,
Well said about raise vs collegial atmsophere!

However, if you arrive at an interpretation of Comapny A's actions as nonchalance that might be a stretch. I know from a perspective of having a little something to do with the recruiting end that it could have nothing to do with indifference or nonchalance. Sometimes it's simply a communications issue due to the many individuals that need to gather their thoughts and come to a consensus.

Nevertheless, Linkat, I wish you luck because it does seem you're getting closer to the end of your job search.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 09:24 am
Sounds like things are looking up somewhat overall, hope it all keeps going well till you are comfortable in a new position.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 09:27 am
@Linkat,
Is one of these companies more stable than the other? Job security today is much more important than an extra couple thousand dollars in an entire package. Also, there's nothing that says you can't negotiate the offer. If they offer you $$$ and you want $$$ + 5,000 then counter their offer with what you want. They'll probably come back to somewhere in the middle.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 09:29 am
@Linkat,
I think you need to let company A know (in a nice, polite way of course) that they need to get things moving as you've got something else that's coming to a decision point.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 10:49 am
@CalamityJane,
I'm working with a recruiter with Company A - I've been in contact with the recruiter as of late yesterday. She said we need to talk today - I've called her and emailed her and nothing yet.

Its not really that they are disinterested as they reported back same day of interview that they wanted to see me. They are having difficulty sincing up schedules with 2 - 3 additional people to interview me.

I agree via the salary - it is the reason I prefer Company A - the company has a better reputation and culture/atmosphere, etc.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2012 10:52 am
@JPB,
Yes - Company A is the more stable of the two.