Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:39 am
So far, I've contacted a recruiter I know - I've kept contact with her for over 20 years and she is president of her recruiting firm so always a good contact. She is out of the office today so I left her a message and sent my resume.

I've applied for an internal position, I've applied for an external position at a great company - hard to tell if I am overqualified; and reached out to two people I know have good contacts - one she works for a company where she is farmed out to do high level project management jobs in my industry so she has worked for lots of companies. She has offered to send around my resume directly to contacts and to also tell them all how wonderful I am.

The other is an old boss - ironic thing is I might have helped him out with a job as he is mobile and is contracting but would like a permanent job.

The sitting now to hear back is the hard part.
boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:45 am
@Linkat,
Flex that networking mojo!

I hope you find something fabulous.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 11:53 am
@boomerang,
And my friend with all the contacts - she has a house locally - and if she gets extended at her current job (she is contracting in NYC - she would know end of month) - we could stay at her place for a couple of months.
boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:06 pm
@Linkat,
Wow. That would really help.

Did you sell your house?

You are going through some major life changes all at once. Are you holding up okay?
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:10 pm
@boomerang,
Yes - we are currently scheduled to close June 19th - we had found a potential just last week - but now we feel we cannot buy.

I feel a bit better today - yesterday I felt ill all day. I didn't eat anything until about 8 last night.
boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:15 pm
@Linkat,
I think I'd be flat out in bed with the covers over my head.

I know you have a lot on your shoulders. I really hope you're able to carve out the time to take care of yourself. Stress is a very bad thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 12:27 pm
@Linkat,
Loyalty is a two way street, or should be. I worked in a shop that fired a guy when he gave a two week notice. Wanna guess how much I gave them when I found a new job?
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:01 pm
@roger,
Yeah - but this is a small industry in a sense - some one always knows some one else. I know several years ago when we had a big relocation thing going on - this one guy that worked for me - he was not relocating so he was going on severance. I told him I understand he may not want to give 110%, but just to remember to keep up a good job as this is a small industry as he wasn't doing his job.

Wouldn't ya know - some one called me shortly after this conversation and "off the record" do you know so and so - I gave them the straight goods and said - I understand why his work his slacking now so I wouldn't hold it against him. Fortunately for him, I was an understanding person.

So yep you give the 2 weeks, shut your mouth and act appropriately. All the while flipping the bird behind their backs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:04 pm
Funny - the big whigs are here today - one walked over to me (the one that delivered the news) and said he will be here if I want to talk. I mean really what the h*ll do I want to say to him.

And the other bigger whig - an email went around about her being here and having an open door and if you want to make an appointment to talk - right - I told you a couple of weeks ago, I had no desire to move to TX she knows - what the heck else do I want to talk pleasantries about?

Better to stay at my desk and send my resume around so I don't say something I'd really like to say.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:37 pm
It's hard to keep your focus and do a good job, but you've got it right regarding keeping your reputation high. Word gets out and how you handle yourself will work in your favor in the long run. Don't be surprised if the folks who are losing their job start talking trash about the folks who are staying --- even if they got along well in the past. It's just part of the dynamics.

Mr B's small company was sold to a large company. Two years later the large company decided to shut it down. Mr B (24 years) and most of the others (ranging from 1 to 24 years) were all called into a meeting one morning and told to clear out their desks by noon. Yes, they were given severance packages based on their years of service but the handful of people who were given bonuses to stay on for 2 to 8 months to complete the closing had a rough haul. Some stayed, some left as soon as they could. There is no such thing as loyalty any more. Most of the folks in his company eventually found work at lower positions and lower salaries. It's not pretty out there.

Stay as positive as you can (at least on the outside). I know how hard this is on you and your family situation.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 03:22 pm
@JPB,
My friend just reached out to me - there was a position that I should be good for and she knows one of the VPs very well at the company. It is also a VP position - this particular company every one and their brother is a VP, but I believe a similar position I have is AVP so it could be a slight promotion...
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 03:23 pm
@Linkat,
So now I am applied at 3 different positons at 3 different companies - and possibly could still have a shot at the NH location if there is room.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 03:53 pm
@Linkat,
I have to ask a question here Linkat. Is any of this at all related to that weirdo walker from a few months back?

http://able2know.org/topic/180233-1

At any rate, sorry they are doing this to you and others; however, you are taking action which is good and will hopefully lead to something.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 05:02 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks alot! No really - you did make me laugh - and I needed a good laugh.
chai2

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 06:17 pm
@Linkat,
Wow, I just saw this thread, sorry about this girl.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 07:00 am
@chai2,
well the good news - my friend sent my resume to two of her close contacts with a glowing reference.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 03:21 pm
@Linkat,
And I received a request for a phone interview with the internal position. Not sure how I feel about it - it is the same level as my current job, but does not have reports so the bonus % will be less. And I am worried this could be a job that next year will move to TX. They did say this is not necessarily the end of all the moves.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 03:40 pm
@Linkat,

i think it would be worthwhile for you to pursue.

if they want you, you may be able to get them to enhance the salary and/or bennies.

they can't move ALL the jobs out of boston -- some people will wind up staying put...
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 03:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
this is actually NH - the location I had hoped to move to, but I agree it is worth checking it out - at the least if we are a good match and a slightly higher level opens I may be able to try for that. There is another one - similar situation - the description says both Bost and NH as this job is moving next year to NH.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 03:58 pm
I would imagine the cost of living in NH is much less than in Boston. If your salary stayed the same it could work out to feel like an increase.

That would give you a year to find the right job, instead of just a job.

Moving your family around could be a big drag though....

Edit: Wait... I was assuming NH meant New Hampshire. Maybe it doesn't....