Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 02:10 pm
OK - I haven't written back because this whole process has been a bit crazy.

I am not complaining (well maybe just a little bit) because under the current economy I guess I am pretty lucky to have this problem.

I did get one official offer so far. For Company B. I was honest with them and told them I am trying to complete the process with another company and should have my final interview this week (that was yesterday) with Company A. So I met with 4 people again yesterday and they know I have an offer on the table. The recruiter for Company A said for me to gather certain info and thought they would be able to make a potential offer the next day or at least by end of week.

So I get a call today - guess what! Yes, it went very well, but they want to see me again. No joke. This will be the fourth time going in. And they want me to see 3 more people and the hiring manager for a third time! What the???

I called my recruiter - I could only laugh. I mean I'm not going to run the company - wonder who the heck I could meet with now? I asked her if it was because I have so much experience and am asking for a bit more than (which isn't out of whack for my experience).

On the positive side she did hear from the recruiter and he said they were going to make me an offer next week.

What do you make of this?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 02:12 pm
@Linkat,
are they waiting for another candidate to make a decision, but don't want to lose you while they wait?
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 02:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Do you mean Company A - the overinterviewer? No - this is somewhat typical of them. One of the last individuals I interviewed with the other day, said she went through quite a long stream of interviews as well. Even when you go on the company's website in the career section - they have an area what to expect when applying for a job - they state they have a rigerous interviewing process.

They sure ain't lying.

If you are referring to B - I don't think so - they did not mention it and I actually had my resume in even before the job was posted. So I am most likely the first candidate to interview. Not sure if they have been interviewing since. They don't seem in an extreme hurry though and seem to be willing to wait.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 02:38 pm
@ehBeth,
The other thing is the offer from Company B is about $5 lower than I wanted - this due to their benefits not being as good and their overall package bonus/profit sharing etc. If I were to take this at their current offer - I might have a 2% overall increase.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 03:15 pm
Champagne problems

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 03:42 pm
@Linkat,
I do mean $5k not simply $5.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 04:43 pm
@Linkat,
I don't know, Linkat - company A would tick me off. If there is so much red tape already, I only can imagine what the official protocols are when you work there. You probably can't make any decision on your own unless 10 people have agreed upon, never mind trying to get vacation sign-off Laughing

Well, if company B has offered you less, it probably leaves room to negotiate and you can see if they match any other offers.

Since your industry is a bit of a "small world", do you know anyone who
works for company A or B who could give you more insider knowledge as
how it is to work for/with them?
Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 09:00 am
@CalamityJane,
I definately have lots of inside info on company B - I know many people who work there/have worked there. One reason I got the offer so quick with them is I had so many people at various levels give great feedback on me. I've also in reverse gotten info on some of the people I'd be working with and for. Not to mention the company as a whole.

Company A - because people tend not to leave there - I have not found anyone I know there. I have found that such and such person knows this person though just on my last interview so I hope to reach out and see their impression. Company A is also (if you haven't noticed) much more selective on who they hire, and they do not hire as much or as often - they don't need to so that is why you tend not to know so many people from that company - often times people get hired there and they do not leave.

I was ticked a little, but I was also warned about their thoroughness. And yes I have been told about their collaberative atsmosphere in that to make a certain change, yes, they do get more people involved. Although as they only hire professional people - getting vacation signoff isn't so difficult.

In my industry there are two groupings of companies those that serve and those that receive the service in a sense. Those that receive the service typically are the better places to work. Those that tend to do the serving tend to be more burn out companies - larger quantity of work - we define them as sweat shops.

In this situation Company B serves; Company A receives Company B's service. If you are following at all - As far as the servicing companies go - Company B is one of the better ones - they are trying to do things to make the work life situation better for people so I do give them kudos.

On the flip side Company A is on the receipt of getting service AND has one of the best reputations to work for.

I currently work for a company that is on the getting service side of things - I've worked in both previously and to be honest from my experience being on this side of things has been a better experience for me.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 09:19 am
@Linkat,
Ah, now I understand better, Linkat. In that case, wait for company A!
A company that hardly has any turnover at all must have a good work environment in addition to a good compensation package.
Linkat

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 09:29 am
@CalamityJane,
Yeah - it is kinda hard to describe without giving too many specifics. And I'd rather not on a public forum - just in case.

Company A has stated to me, we only hire the best - well I am the best.

But I do think, as much as it is a pain, they are thorough to make sure it is a good fit for both - and it seems to work because they do have very low turnover.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:46 am
Now I think I've been fair and easy about things with this company, but I still have not had a confirmed interview for this week - they were trying for Wed.

Now I hear via the recruiter that there is something they are happy about with my references. I contacted one reference that I completely trust and found they haven't even contacted her. I am thinking now that they maybe wanted a recent boss or person where I am currently working - but then why wouldn't they just say that?

this particular reference above did say that this company from what she knows is a very good company, but a pain in the a$$ to get into - she only knows one person that has gotten into the company - but no longer works there and she really isn't in contact with them any more.

I should find out more info this afternoon.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:24 pm
@Linkat,
Hm, that's a bit nerve wrecking, isn't it. Plus, does your current employer know that you're interviewing for other jobs? If not, it wouldn't be a good
idea for them to call a current employment reference.
Linkat

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 12:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
I've talked to my boss - well now my previous boss - they just put me under some one else. I said that I am looking internally and out. She knows and that is who I thought about asking for an additional reference if need be.

So the recruiter called me while I was on the phone with Company B - who just sweetened the deal with unofficially telling me if I agreed to the terms, they'd give me a $10k signon bonus after 60 days - to make up for not receiving a full bonus come end of year.

So the recruiter said Company A had an employee that reached out to some one I worked with previously. They didn't say anything bad, but basically said I was ok. yes - it isn't probably legal/definately not right or moral, but we all do it. The problem being you aren't get 100% of the people you work with to like you - and to have one person say, heck she's ok, nothing special, and you have everyone else saying you are wonderful and that is the only thing they are going on is a pain in the a$$.

Whereas at Company B - they had a whole slew of people who had worked with me previously and they were all on board with me joining. With no nah sayers.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 03:32 pm
@Linkat,
wow, looks like company A is getting more difficult.
10k sign-on bonus is not bad, Linkat, they obviously want you on board,
while the others are still hesitant and are looking to get references from
people they shouldn't even ask.

My hunch is that they will use all of this in salary negotiations saying that
not all and every reference was 100 % to their liking and bla bla bla....

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 03:49 pm
@Linkat,
I've known cults that were easier to get into....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 09:13 am
@CalamityJane,
so I talked about the details with my husband and he thought (being a recruiter) that it is more likely that this other candidate they are looking at came after I did - is probably cheaper (meaning not currently making my salary) and if this person pans out, they would prefer to save the money and are using this "reference" as an excuse to my recruiter. That is what is experience and gut says to him especially since the "reference" wasn't bad but just ok.

So I talked to a friend that is currently contracting at Company B - just to get her personal insight.

Plan at this point - as I was supposed to be in an interview w/Company A this morning that was the original plan prior to feedback I got yesterday - I am going to send an email later today to my contact at Company B - to make a time to talk today - I have some additional open questions.

If these questions come out positively, I may accept with them tomorrow.

I kind of have a bad taste of Co. A now - even though they supposedly have such a good rep. I have been straight forward with them on everything. Now they seem to be pulling some sort of game to string me along. I don't like that. Whereas Co. B has been only accomodating.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 09:26 am
@Linkat,
Yes Linkat, I am siding with your husband too! Company A is playing games to either pressure you into a different salary category and/or preferring the other candidate for taking a lower salary. Either way it leaves a sour note.

Company B obviously wants you and the 10k sign-on bonus clearly states that. Being wanted this much by an employer is a nice feeling, it gives you more confidence and power.

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 09:56 am
@CalamityJane,
So I sent a note to the recruiter I am working with on Company A - asking if she heard anything. I also let her know that I am considering the offer from Co. B. I do need a few more questions answered first.

I told her I am still considering Co. A - but I feel I have been open and honest with them and I feel as if they are not and it seems they are leading me on and playing games. I feel I deserve better and deserve to be told the truth even it it is negative.

I also shot a note off the HR recruiter (he works directly with Co. B - no middle recruiter rep me) telling him I had a few more questions if he is available this afternoon.
chai2

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:02 am
@Linkat,
Do you feel this is indicative of how they will treat you if you are working for them?
Linkat

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 11:55 am
@chai2,
well that is what I am concerned of - I mean in interviewing both ways you always should have your best/show your best - both company and employee. Maybe they are too arragant and think because they generally because they have the good rep, they can be this way.

My recruiter emailed me and said she understood about Co. A. She said that their HR recruiter was supposed to get back to her today, but he hasn't yet. She did say she reached out to him. She also said it would be their loss.

Funny I happen to get this article today via email - I usually just delete these and don't know why I am on this news email list (I included the most applicable part):

Job Hunting: Nobody wants to feedback

"Let’s start with head-hunters. Every one of my head-hunter relationships began with flattery. 'I’ve heard so many good things about you and I am recruiting for this wonderful role that would be perfect for you'. Buoyed by the kind words and apparent inevitability of employment I would head off to sell myself to my prospective new employer. The last words a recruiter would say to me were 'Call me with feedback when you are done', which I would do without exception.

'Great, you’re still interested, I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything'. And that’s when the wait would start. I remember one particular instance in which I was perfect for the role, and almost everyone so far employed into this growing business had once worked at my old firm. I knew my time at my old employer had ended acrimoniously and that there was a danger that this might come back to haunt me. After the second set of interviews, and given my absolute cast-iron certainty that I was ideal for the role, I kept badgering the head-hunter and also the hiring manager. No response for three weeks.

Eventually a second head-hunter called, recruiting for the same role. I told her to put my name forward, after which she broke the rules spectacularly and gave me the negative feedback I so craved – one of my former colleagues, an old adversary, had provided a negative reference that would ultimately spoil the many positive reports about my ability. It hurt but I thanked her - at least knowing the truth allowed me to be more prepared going forward."

http://hereisthecity.com/2012/05/16/former-traders-struggle-to-find-a-job-dealing-with-headhunters/?utm_source=Business+-+02+-+HTML+-+20+-+No+Ad&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=39.2457+-+Job+Hunting%3A+Nobody+Wants+To+Feedback+-+There%27s+Someone+Out+There+Better+Than+You
0 Replies