Will I have a job tomorrow?

jespah

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 08:18 am
Oy. There's never a good way for them to do that. Good luck.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 08:22 am
@jespah,
well my job is moving to texas - not until June of 2013 - sending my resume around today.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 09:09 am
@Linkat,
Oh boy.

Good luck, Linkat.
JPB

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 09:56 am
@Linkat,
I'm sorry to hear that, Linkat. Sometimes forced changes end up in an even better situation. I hope you find something soon.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 09:58 am
@sozobe,
thanks - I feel ill - we have been living off just my salary. Husband has been pushing me a bit rather than being helpful and supportive.

I want to tell him - why don't you go get a job and let me have some time - but I must bite my tongue.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 09:59 am
@Linkat,
Ooh... I understand.

And then boxed in by your mom re: just going ahead and moving to Texas.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 10:10 am
@Linkat,
Where in Texas?

I'd guess Dallas/Ft. Worth....

I'm sorry that they're putting you through this. It really sucks to be forced to choose between keeping your job and staying close to your family.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 10:14 am
Also sorry to hear this. I hope it all works out for the best in the end. Sounds like you might have a little time to get something sorted out, so hopefully that pans out.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 10:31 am
@DrewDad,
yeah
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 10:56 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
well my job is moving to texas - not until June of 2013 - sending my resume around today.

Sorry to see this. On the positive side, you at least have a window of time to get something else, as opposed to being let go immediately. Not much; but, it's a little something.

I wish you the best in finding a new spot.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 11:59 am
@Sturgis,
So it appears that everyone in my group (at least my level on downward) is slated to move to TX - only one possible move of the group.

I called to check to see what I do get if I don't move - 5 months severance - they used to give retention bonus - so that everyone does not walk out the door at once - but they have been very stingy with these things more recently.

Problem being at higher levels - not much jobs out there - so potentially need to take a step down.
Izzie

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 12:03 pm
@Linkat,
Wishing you the best Linkat, so sorry that you have to go through this - I'm glad you have some time to try and make other plans.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 01:09 pm
I somehow missed the news that your dad had died, Linkat. I'm so sorry to hear that.

And now your job?

You're due for a nice turn of luck.

I have my fingers crossed for you.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 02:00 pm
@boomerang,
thanks - some one just gave their notice at the other office - the one I was hoping to move to.

Not my level position, but maybe, just maybe. I did speak with my boss and she is trying for me...

Just found out - there are 3 individuals in my direct group that are above me - and they all (at least 2 of 3 - not sure of the 3rd) - were given the closer office - NH - the one I have been trying to get into.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 02:02 pm
@boomerang,
Well I did get that $500 deductible back from the crazy neighbor's flooded water heater - they determined she was at fault/negligent. Not quite a job but $500 ain't too bad.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 03:01 pm
@Linkat,
But the expectation is I stay late to clear some reports from another team - what is the incentive?
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 03:09 pm
@Linkat,

there is none.
this is how they reward you for years and years of loyalty...
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 03:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
well I'm leaving - I will look at it at home - but if it comes out while I am traveling tough ship.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 03:30 pm
Just absorbing this all now, Link.

Sympathy for all of you going through this but especially you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 04:20 pm
@Region Philbis,
speaking of loyalty - one guy that reports to me has worked there over 25 years.