Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:43 pm
@Mame,
Well we were selling because we wanted to move out of a condo and into a house for the kids/dog. And also wanted to move to a town with good schools and take our kids out of private (expensive) and into public.

So we knew there were going to be changes at work - (Boston area) - but we also have office in southern NH and TX. We were told there would be changes, but a presence in Boston. So I tried to get me slated for NH - began looking to buy a home in northern MA communtable to Boston and NH. Talked with my boss that was starting a new smaller group (within are group) and said I was interested in joining (she had moved to NH) - she thought that was good.

Then the big wigs came in - basically one person stays in Boston, 2 to MMK and me downward TX. As was stated to me - this is nothing personal.

Thus my reply when I hand in the notice - this is nothing personal.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Its already bought - we are going through all the crap for finalizing it. I even spoke with the loan officer to make sure it was ok to accept a new job - being in the same industry with similar role and more money - he said no problem.
sozobe

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:45 pm
@Linkat,
Is it in a good location for the new job?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:50 pm
@Linkat,
Wow! that really is a lot of change all at once.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:53 pm
@sozobe,
It is further away, but it would have been any way if I stayed here. I realized it was highly likely I would be working in Boston (where most of the jobs are for the type of position I would be looking for)

It is maybe a little further than my current commute would be. I do have some different options though of how to get into work - most likely be by commutor rail or driving if I can find a gargage with some what reasonable fees.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Well when we bought our condo, we bought a new car about a week later and then had a baby in less than a month.

So I suppose this time around of buying a residence, changing a job is a bit less.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:54 pm
@Linkat,
OK, so sounds like not optimal but not that bad either. What kind of commute are you looking at? Like more like 20 minutes or two hours?
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 01:57 pm
@sozobe,
Guess about an hour. Now I probably have between 30 - 45 minutes and I am only 10 miles away. Although part of the commute is the 10 minute or so walk from the gargage to my desk.

Anything around an hour is reasonable in this area.
JPB

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:20 pm
@Linkat,
Have you tendered your notice yet? That's always a good thing to get beyond.
Mame

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:23 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks for the synopsis... so did you buy a place yet? When do you move?

I'm glad you're moving away from that crazy neighbour, and I hope your new job and people are better than the ones at your current job.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:35 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:48 pm
@JPB,
I am waiting for the final paper work to be completed. My husband let me know the written offer has been received via email at home. And there are some forms and background check that needs to be completed. Once I get the all clear just to make sure there is nothing I have to verify or anything, I will provide notice.

Technically I have until a week from Friday to provide it - in order to give two weeks.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:51 pm
@Linkat,
I wonder why geography matters so much to them.

I have more and more clients (banks and insurance companies) who have good employees that are moving, and who they don't want to let go, so they set things up so they can work from a home office.
Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:57 pm
@Mame,
Our close on our place is June 18 - the one we are buying end of June to beginning of July. So we will be homeless for a few weeks.

I'm going to miss writing about my crazy neighbor though.

The people at my current job aren't bad - just don't want to move half way across the country right now.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 17 May, 2012 02:58 pm
@DrewDad,
Yes - it does seem strange and we have talked about it - amongst ourselves. Especially seeing we work with the people at all sites including India.

What is the difference if I speak with them via my phone on my desk or my phone at home. But alas sometimes the voice of reason...
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 10:37 am
@Linkat,
I plan to give my notice today - as most of my background is pretty much complete (just to be on the safe side). I will be giving almost 3 weeks notice - I figure to help them out by letting them know as much as I can in advance. I really don't want to screw them as there are alot of great people here.

I am nervous though - isn't that odd?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 10:42 am
Not odd. Perfectly natural, imo. New beginnings are always a little nerve-wracking. You're not burning any bridges and you're going out the right way. Go for it!
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 05:16 pm
@JPB,
so even though I was nervous, I managed to give my notice. My boss of course suspected when I sent him a note asking if he time to meet. He was nice and understood. He has actually been reaching out to contacts on his own to see what jobs may be available to help everyone in the group (I'm sure including himself as well).

He just didn't want it to happen so quickly as of course, it puts the department in a bad spot - but he did say he was happy for me.
0 Replies