Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Actually I did just that - it is beautiful out - so I went outside took a little bit of a walk to clear my head - I did go without the swearing though - I opted for a little prayer and deep breathing instead.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:11 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah - I have my brothers number - on the ride home I will give him a call - it probably is important for him to know any way as if it leaks to my mom - he is the one that will hear it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:50 pm
Heard back from my friend on another position - her contact thought there was something - but they are promoting within. But she also heard of another - and one of the possible hiring managers is a blast from the past - I remember her name and will need to look her up via linked in and connnect with her....
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 03:03 pm
@Linkat,
I am confident that you'll get a much much better job offer and then take your husband out for dinner and tell him that everything is going to be all right.

He's probably stressed out too and since he isn't there with you in the meetings, he feels helpless. Cut him some slack too Wink
Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 03:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
I know you are right - it is tough from all sides. And I understand that he is trying to find some sort of out if I cannot find an alternative job. Why I am trying to vent here as to blow up or at some one else.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 04:19 pm
@Linkat,
That's true, I am sorry!!

Vent away and scream your frustration at us Laughing
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 06:59 am
@CalamityJane,
Thanks - so my husband started in again about TX - I think it is because he wants to move there. I won't go into the details of that.

Any way - I contacted the individual at one of the companies that my friend had given my resume and thanked her for her help. She left me her phone number to call her and so I talked with her this morning - she thought there was one job that would be a very good fit for me and I have the type of experience the group is lacking. She had already given the hiring manager my resume and said she would follow up with her today.

I did talk with my brother - what could he say? He just said let me know if he could help me out, but at least I got to talk to a human that I felt would sympathize with me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 01:57 pm
@DrewDad,
So I didn't call my friend - I emailed her. I think you are right - she is going through things are huge - her son has a serious medical condition and requires nightly and weekly shots and will need a kidney transplant. But at the same time she is going through normal kid stress too - brothers bickering with each on top of it.

So it seems to help both of us. "Talking it out"
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:42 am
So I finally got a call back from the recruiter that I've maintained contact with for quite a long time. Seems she was on vacation and I left a phone message/email with resume just prior to her setting up her out of office messages.

Any way - she had one job that seems to fit me. I did not tell her I had applied on line. Is that wrong? I did let her know the two companies that my friend had given resumes to - as I know they are in actual individuals' hands.

The reason I didn't tell her - in at least one (possibly more) situations in the past, I've provided a resume to a company and never heard back. Later on, I've worked with a recruiter that got me into the company and get the job. I figure often times you need a person to reach out to another person.

Also, I found out from her the salary range/bonus/benefits - that I couldn't get online. I was not 100% sure if I was overqualified, but the salary does come in line with my expectations. This is a smaller, better company to work for - so often times the job description/title does not tell enough.

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:30 pm
@Linkat,
.....but, but , your husband wants to move to Texas Smile
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 03:31 pm
@CalamityJane,
he was better last night. He would like to - but he also did like the town we were planning to move to -
sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:15 pm
@Linkat,
Well that's good news... on both fronts.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:18 pm
@Linkat,
Why in the world would he want to move to Texas?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:40 pm
@boomerang,
Hey!

Oh, wait. Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Carry on.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2012 06:35 am
@boomerang,
I think in mostly because of the cheaper cost of living.

But last night he seemed fine again - I think it is as much about stress - how is the job market, what happens if I don't find a job. I also think after talking with a recruiter and some other people and seeing there are jobs out there (maybe not a boatload) - and ones that could result in a higher position even, he feels a bit better.

He is also pondering around the idea, that we could go ahead and try to buy a house. I have at the very least my job until the end of June 2013, most likely 6 months pay after that (right now I qualify for 5 months, but with two raise periods before the end June my pay should go over the next milestone to gain another month). And then I get a pro-rated bonus - so a little more than half my annual bonus. And whatever retentation bonus is determined (will know that end of this June).

And that would be if I did not get a job between now and end of next June. And there could still be the potential to move to NH especially if some one left the NH office. We recently had two people give notice in NH - one to another position within the co. so I don't think that changes number of seats and another to outside. Her position is lower than mine and they are looking in both NH and TX to fill the position so depends where ever the position ends up getting filled - there could be a potential slot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:45 am
So I got an interview either this Friday morning or next week depends on when they can arrange with all the individuals interviewing me.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:59 am
@Linkat,
Good luck! Getting an interview is good news, IMO.
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@DrewDad,
Fer sure!

Break a leg etc.
Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 02:52 pm
@sozobe,
thanks - it is for this Friday morning - I've already requested the day off - and the good news is we are going to see the house we liked for the second time in the afternoon so I have a really good reason for taking the day off - without lying to anyone.

Now I just have to go out and get a new suit - I've been wearing business casual for so long that I don't have anything appropriate. Reading the job description, I have all the qualifications and more - as long as I don't screw up the interview (which not to brag - I usually do not have issues with interviews when the job is right up my alley - which this is).

I had a great conversation with the HR guy. And he even threw out some numbers as far as compensation as we both wanted to make sure we were in line with each other (he asked). I think there a little low on bonus, but higher on salary. Overall there would be an increase - but I would try though to boost the salary a bit more as I am slated for salary review come June. Of course if it comes to it.

Funny (not that the HR should not ask) but he asked why with my experience and all I want to leave - I was straight forward with him - told him that our office is downsizing so there is limited if any room to grow and progress your career and that most of the our office is relocating to Texas. I want to stay in New England and have even offered to relocate to NH, but even there I have concerns as positions have moved from NH to TX. I really want job security and opportunites to advance my career.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 02:57 pm
@Linkat,
Oh and my recruiter is following up with the company (actually a more deserable company to work for than the one I am at now) - more a lateral position and I'd have to give up my managering role (this company tends to have many high level Individual contributor jobs). I did ask her about the compensation as their up to level wouldn't be high enough as their bonus pool too is 5% lower than mine.

As this is a smaller company she thought they may be able to be more flexible depending on the person's experience so what they hey - she my resume over.
0 Replies