Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 08:53 am
What do you think the chances are I will have a job tomorrow? On-line meeting tomorrow regarding changes - yes on-line. I guess this was how it was handled last year.

We know there are changes coming - been told pretty much - and knew it was coming this month. I've tried to strategically place myself - by asking for a position (one of which is a promotion - and the other a lateral move) - with my boss who has moved to a different location. This location I've stragetically looked at for potentially moving any way - it would commutable from where I work now and this other office.

Downside there is not much room there so I've been told. I haven't gotten any more details from my boss other than when I mentioned it - she said "good to know" and the plan is to complete this group this month. I still report to her currently even though she is at the other location.

So what do you think my chances are?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 16 • Views: 10,900 • Replies: 197

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 08:55 am
@Linkat,
Ooooooooh... you've already had enough bad news this year. Hope this is good news.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 08:57 am
@sozobe,
we've been told that there will be a presence of our group in our current location - but a small presence. The over riding feeling within our location is that we will be gone by year end. Maybe with one or two people staying behind.

Last year a similar thing happened - our group was spared simply because we had enough people leaving (at least in my opinion). I've had a conversation with our Sr. VP and she is worried as our group here has alot of experience and everyone has mentioned they will not move to the southwest - some say they would move just over the state border at our other location, but as I said there are very few spots available there.

There is a very good possibility of movement from that spot to the southwest as well.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:03 am
@Linkat,
Oh my.

Do you think moving is a possibility then?

I guess timing would be better now than when it came up before -- all ready to sell your house, etc. You haven't bought a new house yet right?
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:09 am
@sozobe,
I cannot see myself moving thousands of miles away when my dad just passed away. I might as well shoot my mother myself.

This is one reason we started looking at this other location to move as it would be commutable to both offices and the other office has more opportunity for promotions/other jobs. Our current office is downsizing so unless I get an opportunity to move to a completely different area (where I have little experience), there is no advancement possible.

And I just heard the Sr. VP is here today - she is located at the other location.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:10 am
@Linkat,
Maybe just the other office then...

Fingers crossed, let us know what happens.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:22 am
@sozobe,
I have to tell you though - she got upset a bit when she heard where we were looking for a house - as it is about 45 - an hour away from her. She was concerned she wouldn't see the kids as much.

My husband when he went to pick up my daughter (she had stayed over one night) - and explained how that wasn't the case. I think her generation, that an hour away was huge - we travel that and greater back and forth regularly for tournaments almost every weekend in the spring time.
sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:28 am
@Linkat,
Right!

Is there any chance of some sort of mother-in-law apartment arrangement, wherever you move? Or would that drive everyone crazy?
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 09:43 am
@sozobe,
It would drive me crazy - no not really - but we did see a house we really liked last Friday. Not perfect (of course unless you have unlimited money you can't get perfect) - we have some questions out on it.

Could be potential later on for an in-law apartment - but I think I'd rather keep it where there is an extra bedroom - it is really an office (then add a bath) in the basement - thought was she could sleep over for special events.

The moving in in-law thing - more for my brothers' situation - wouldn't work currently any way. And unless she needed to be at some one's home for care - I think I like my privacy.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 10:01 am
@Linkat,
Eek I feel for ya (of course I know where these locations all are).

I thought things weren't going to be really pushed until the end of calendar year '12? Maybe that was just my old department, though.

Are they selling buildings? That'd probably ice it one way or the other. If they sell your building, or one of the others around town, they'll have to shed personnel.
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 10:55 am
@jespah,
I think we will have until the end of the year - from prior experience they will notify us and then we have until the end of the year for our current jobs. That way they hope to be able to back fill for those that are leaving.

The problem that happened last year is one particular group - people left quickly; the compensation package wasn't enough to entice them to stay and get the package and they found jobs quickly. They ended up having to up the packages because they didn't have the experience to do the do the work. Our group had to give some one up to help out. It was a mess.

The thing is my department and at least one other that will probably be impacted has very specialized knowledge that isn't learned over a month or two. but the people deciding the numbers are not directly impacted so they just look at the numbers.

Not sure how much pull the Sr. VP really has over this. I just bumped into her and I could tell it is coming....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 10:57 am
@jespah,
And for the buildings - my guess is they are keeping my location - cheaper digs...they have already moved many out of one of the towers. Not sure if anyone is in those any more. My other guess is they are also be looking to move from downtown as that is more expensive property. So they will move in here.
jespah

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 12:50 pm
@Linkat,
That's true - I think Menino is still giving tax breaks for where your building is (Innovation District or at least I think they're still calling it that).
Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 02:23 pm
@jespah,
Well I guess I will need to wait to hear the details tomorrow as at this point some people leave around 4/4:30. I think the Sr. VP was here to talk with her direct reports about tomorrow.

Hopefully they will be kind enough to talk with us directly if we are directly impacted - rather than hear it via an internet viewing thing as it is currently set up to be.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2012 03:17 pm
Offices - YUCK!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 07:27 am
well I should know soon - we are to watch a video at our desk - then meet for a quick check in locally on what to expect through out the day.....
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 07:34 am
@Linkat,
Eek. Fingers crossed for ya.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 07:36 am
@Linkat,
So I am watching now - talking about how we have moved throughout the years. ....my group is definately moving - next year out of our current office so I am safe for the current year.
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 07:43 am
@Linkat,
I hope at our group meeting we will get more details on who specifically is moving where - not sure as our department is some time 2013
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2012 08:03 am
@Linkat,
I will know in 15 minutes for sure - we all have personal invitations with vp ---
0 Replies