Will I have a job tomorrow?

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:29 pm
@boomerang,
Yes it does - but I wouldn't move to NH - the town we are looking to purchase is in MA - the job is in southern NH not far from this town - it is commutable to both boston and southern NH. It was why we were looking around that area. We fell in love with the town/schools and community feel so we really want to move there.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:33 pm
@Linkat,
There are some pretty small towns just south of Nashua, NH in MA. You can buy my old house in Westford, MA. Laughing
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:35 pm
@Ragman,
oh my that is where i am looking.....
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:47 pm
@Linkat,

work buddy lives in metheun.
he says traffic on 93 is almost always bad...
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 05:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
well the southeast expressway isn't much better....I lived in Reading before - I've been on 93...
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 09:37 pm
@Linkat,
I kind of thought so. Westford is a town with community-oriented locals and pretty streets with curb appeal. It was more appealing and more selective with overgrowth and zoning than either Chelmsford or Littleton. In 1987, when I moved there, Rt. 495 was pretty intense for traffic. Local traffic was fair to good. Howver, as times changed and layoffs happened things fluctuated. After 1997 or so it became less reasonably priced for homes. I was divorced in 1994 so I moved from that area. I stopped following the RE markets then. My ex-wife moved from that house around 1998, I think
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:40 pm
@Ragman,
FWIW, just to give you an idea of the market appreciation at that time, we bought the now-30-yr-old split-level ranch in Nov. '87 for $156k and it sold in Dec. '99 for $205k. It's currently valued at $358.8k with unknown modifications but according to Google Earth the exterior looks identical. It is now listed as a 2157 sq ft space, 3 BR (was a 2.5 BR) built on 0.4 acres with 80% cleared back yard. We had a partially finished basement with a 1/2 bathroom downstairs.

Note: Somehow it grew 350 sq ft..perhaps the garage was converted to living space or...? I thought they can't include below-ground- level basement regardless of finished status as part of the living space.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 10:59 pm
@Linkat,
I just noticed that in the last year (2011), property taxes on that house assessed at that value ($359k) increased by 23% in Westford.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2012 11:17 pm
@Linkat,
wow, I somehow missed this thread, and also the sad news about your dad -
I am so sorry for your loss, Linkat.

Well, one door closes and several others open up. You always strike me as someone very competent in your job and I am certain that you'll have quite a few offers in no time. Yes, it's nerve wrecking now, but in the long run, I am certain you'll do much better than now. Have some faith in yourself.

I'd be a bit apprehensive of applying for a job internally - your current employer seems to re-organize quite often and who knows if you aren't in the same position 2 years from now - faced with a move to TX.
chai2

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:57 am
@CalamityJane,
But keep in mind that would be 2 years of undisturbed income.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 08:56 am
@chai2,
That's true, Chai, but she would be 2 years older too and the older you get the harder it is to get a higher management position.
Now is the time to look for something better and bigger, their house is selling and they haven't bought a new one. In two years time they have mortgage payments to consider and who knows how the employment market is then....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:14 pm
@Ragman,
Yes they do hold their values well - but compared to closer to Boston and the type of community, the prices are not bad. One house we were considered did include the square footage in their basement (I thought they weren't supposed to either) although the listing did say included finished basement so maybe if they are clear on it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
yes I agree why I am hestitate about this other internal job especially if it is just lateral - might not be worth the risk.

On a positive note, one of the jobs I applied for and my friend sent my resume and email with recommendation to responded. He said that my experience is exactly what they are looking for and he will forward the resume to the appropriate person. I had worked at that company previously and not loving it - the one thing is the people that caused me to want to leave are no longer there and if what my friend thinks of this individual makes me feel more positive about it.
Ragman

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 03:23 pm
@Linkat,
I realize that I might be going off on a tangent but I hoped I was able to give you a picture of relative RE values. This provied an idea of the history of how a property retained value during the upturn as well as the downturn. there a lot of peoplwe ho rode it there that are happy living there and happy with town gov't too. As you head westward there's Pepperll too but in 1987 i didn't see houses that made me smile the same way. And also you get more bogged down with longer commutes. I worked in Littleton Common and Rt. 119 really got s-l-o-w.
sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 04:20 pm
@Linkat,
Hey that's encouraging! Fingers crossed for ya.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2012 05:45 pm
@Linkat,
You'll get even more offers and then you can choose and pick.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 06:27 am
@Ragman,
Yes - I heard about Pepperell and was told to avoid it as the schools are not that good - the schools are what first attracted us to Westford.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 12:58 pm
So we had a long meeting for all those that the jobs are relocating. Bennies are not as good as the first time around - but if you are relocating not hugely different - but certainly not as good - though I didn't listen closely as I am not interested.

For those staying same story and they won't give out info out retention bonuses until they see 2 months from now who signs a statement saying they are willing to relocate. To me this is little incentive to stay.

So I call my husband to tell him the details and wants to know more about the relocation benefits. I told him well we can't take advantage any way of the sale side as we have sold and benefits do not go into place until 2 months from now - when SOI is due. So he tells me to ask if they would cover our closing costs, etc for the sale any way.

I tell me no, I don't to even ask as I'm not interested so he hung the phone up on me. He wants all the details to decide and I stated why would it matter if we had decided we were not going to move - since we had.

I think I have enough pressure and stress on me without this crap. I'm trying to find some one to call (a friend) - but I feel my closest friends have worse crap than I do so I don't want to dump on them.

Venting - just venting ---

Rockhead

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:01 pm
@Linkat,
is there someplace you can take a walk an swear like a sailor without fraking out a whole office building?

look at some real grass.

(I'd smoke it, but I'm sure that's not an option)

hang in there little fish...
DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 01:09 pm
@Linkat,
A sorrow shared is a sorrow halved.

It's not nearly as hard to deal with someone else's problems than it is to deal with your own, so call a friend.