Schools closed-exotic animals prowl Ohio - Sozobe?

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:19 am
What did Sozobe do?

Officials in eastern Ohio declared schools closed Wednesday as sheriff's deputies equipped with night vision attempted to hunt down dozens of exotic animals -- including bears, lions, tigers and cheetahs -- that escaped from a preserve following the death of its owner.

The menagerie of about 48 animals on the loose also includes wolves, giraffes and camels.

Deputies shot dead about two dozen of them Tuesday.

Schools in at least four districts were declared closed for Wednesday, as authorities asked residents to stay inside until the rest of the animals were rounded up or killed.

On Tuesday, commuters reported spotting bears and wolves along I-70.

Really sad that they have to kill as these beautiful animals...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:29 am
Them folks in Zanesville always was a bunch a weirdos. Boys from Columbus like to head on down to Zanesville to hit on the wimmins.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 08:10 am
"Mom, the radio said that school's closed today because of lions."

I mean, how awesome would that be?
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 08:22 am
@joefromchicago,
Even better than a snow day -

I thought seeing a turkey or a deer on the side of the highway was interesting. Could you imagine seeing this on your drive home?

Quote:
On Tuesday, commuters reported spotting bears and wolves along I-70./quote]

I wonder what those commuters thought - they needed new glasses/needed a vacation....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 08:24 am
@Linkat,
Nothing cool like that ever happens around here. Although we do have real (wild) black bears around a bit. But no wolves, and certainly no giraffes or camels. That would be an amazing sight to see a giraffe browsing in my back yard.
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 09:45 am
@rosborne979,
We had a gorilla escape out of a Boston zoo - twice.

And just recently a baby zebra and his momma - although they didn't get outta of the zoo just their enclosure.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:02 am
@Linkat,
Here's how they deal with that stuff in Alaska:

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:04 am

baby bear sampling the produce in alaskan supermarket...

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:16 am
Great minds run on the same course . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:22 am
@joefromchicago,
and tigers and bears.

And camels.

Yeah, everyone's kinda freaking out about it. A friend's cousin is on the police force trying to contain the animals. It's far enough away that our own school wasn't closed, but I agree that'd be a totally kick-ass reason to have a day off.

Although I guess you couldn't like go out in the woods and play.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:23 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
bears, lions, tigers

Oh, my.
sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:27 am
@DrewDad,
That's popped up in about seventeen Facebook stati that I've seen so far.

I like how the camels kinda shake things up a bit.

But why are the camels dangerous? Are they going to spit on people? Step on them?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:29 am
@boomerang,

opps... i like the way you think... Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:30 am
@sozobe,
Pretty good update here:

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/oct/19/4/live-video-updates-exotic-animal-escape-press-conf-ar-793537/

Only three animals still amok: a mountain lion, a grizzly bear and a monkey.

I hope the monkey makes it to OSU. E.G. is always claiming to see monkeys in trees (and is usually wrong. Well, always, thus far....)
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:31 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

That's popped up in about seventeen Facebook stati that I've seen so far.

There's no shame in picking low-hanging fruit.

sozobe wrote:
I like how the camels kinda shake things up a bit.

But why are the camels dangerous? Are they going to spit on people? Step on them?

Military uses.

Quote:
The United States Army established the U.S. Camel Corps, which was stationed in California in the 19th century.

Some escaped and their descendants roamed the arid parts of the American West until as late as the early 20th century.

Camel Corps.... I like the alliteration.

Who else thinks that some general had a brother-in-law who needed to unload a camel?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
@sozobe,
And the giraffes - although they are so tall they could stomp us, kinda like how we stomp on bugs.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:31 pm
Holy Hell, the police decided to shoot to kill most of the animals rather than to collect them...I gotta think this is going to be problem, there are a lot of people who care more about animals than they do people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/police-hunting-exotic-animals-that-escaped-from-ohio-farm-where-owner-found-dead/2011/10/19/gIQAv2wkwL_story.html?hpid=z3

EDIT: I suspect that the police took out their frustrations with the owner on the animals, hopefully there is at least an investigation.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
US nature TV host Jack Hanna, a former director of Columbus Zoo, in the nearby Ohio state capital, said tranquilising animals in the dark was incredibly dangerous, and told reporters that "the sheriff did the right thing".

"You cannot tranquilise an animal like this, a bear or a leopard or a tiger [at night]," Mr Hanna told ABC before the press conference.

"If you do that, the animal gets very excited, it goes and hides, and then we have [police officers] in danger of losing their life, and other people

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15364027

Unless I miss my guess he is the one who originally told the cops that killing was the right way to go....we need to hear from other animal experts as to whether he is right or not.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
sounds like 44 of 48 were killed, and two are yet to be found

http://www.wtvm.com/story/15726160/sheriff-two-exotic-animals-still-on-the-loose-a-monkey-and-a-wolf
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
My best guess is that they've teamed up:

http://kingofbull.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/monkeyrodeo.jpg
0 Replies