Schools closed-exotic animals prowl Ohio - Sozobe?

thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Unless I miss my guess he (Hanna) is the one who originally told the cops that killing was the right way to go....we need to hear from other animal experts as to whether he is right or not.

I haven't looked but I have no doubt that the media will find any number of "experts" having the exact opinions they're looking for. And yes. We just need to hear them.
thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

EDIT: I suspect that the police took out their frustrations with the owner on the animals, hopefully there is at least an investigation.
Do you really suspect this?
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:42 pm
@thack45,
So we stop a windmill for the death of one bat, but yet we pull out all the stops to gun down monkeys and camels.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:46 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
I haven't looked but I have no doubt that the media will find any number of "experts" having the exact opinions they're looking for
Generally when cops need expert advise they go for the closest they can find, in part because there is more likely to be on on going relationship and because their phone numbers tend to be more easy to find. Hanna popping up right away to defend the police pretty much clinches it....but we still need to dot the "i" by making sure.

We need to know who the cops talked to before they decided and what they were told. I would also like to see a list of the animals, which so far I have not seen.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:47 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
Do you really suspect this?

Yes, this guy and his animals had long been a pain in the ass for the police, I expect that they got a great deal of secret satisfaction from killing almost all of the animals.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:49 pm
@Linkat,
I'm not sure I follow your logic. Were either the bat or the windmill considered to be a threat to humans?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:50 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

we pull out all the stops to gun down monkeys and camels.

This is totally unrelated, but I hear Sozobe's having a BBQ tonight....
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:51 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Were either the bat or the windmill considered to be a threat to humans?

Let's see a list of the animals before we decide how much of a real threat there was. What percent of the 44 killed could not have been dealt with in less dramatic fashion??
thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Linkat wrote:

we pull out all the stops to gun down monkeys and camels.

Ha! Nicely done.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 01:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
Swing and a miss. If you hurry, there's still time to delete that one...

[Edit]I'd better take my own advice there. Embarrassed My mistake. Okay I see what you mean now. They only seem to have a rough idea at this point as far as a list but the county sheriff mentioned 18 bengal tigers were in the mix. Monkeys can be pretty nasty too, but I don't get shooting camels. I also don't know that any were killed.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:01 pm
We need to keep in mind that "SAFETY!" is the justification used by government a lot of the time for its acts of aggression, because people will buy that. Because it has turned into a "go-to" justification regardless of the truth all such claims must be scrutinized.

A hungry lion on the lose might be a threat that can not be dealt with in any other way than a shoot to kill order, a monkey on the other hand might not be.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:02 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

WHY? What do you think I got wrong?
thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sorry, I was editing the above post...
thack45 wrote:

[Edit]I'd better take my own advice there. Embarrassed My mistake. Okay I see what you mean now. They only seem to have a rough idea at this point as far as a list but the county sheriff mentioned 18 bengal tigers were in the mix. Monkeys can be pretty nasty too, but I don't get shooting camels. I also don't know that any were killed.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:18 pm
@thack45,
I'd like to point out that I wasn't so much defending the decisions of the officials as giving them the benefit of the doubt. I was also suggesting that the media are parasitic assholes.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:22 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

I'd like to point out that I wasn't so much defending the decisions of the officials as giving them the benefit of the doubt. I was also suggesting that the media are parasitic assholes.

It is already done, the animals are dead. I am interested in the actions of the police being examined but I don't think it happens unless the people demand it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:05 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
. . . I hope the monkey makes it to OSU . . .

That's a straight line too good to touch.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:09 pm
@thack45,
See here - unrelated to these animals:

http://able2know.org/topic/178928-1

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:34 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Mmmm, camel.
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 03:49 pm
@sozobe,
Well on the negative side of things in preparing camel - "Stressed camels tend to result in tough meat that has an inferior taste. The very best camel comes from a relaxed beast."

I'd imagine that this would be a stressed camel.

But if you must...Though camel meat can be cooked in almost any method in which you would cook lamb, (and it is a similar taste), the very best method is roasting. In a deep roasting pan, or double pan if available, place approximately an inch (15cms) of water. Add the Camel meat roast. A sprinkle of curry powder is a good touch if the meat is not already marinated. Cover the meat with aluminium foil which will be removed in the last half hour of cooking.

By roasting in the water rather than oil, the meat will remain tender rather than drying out to which it is prone. The addition of a few peeled onions to the water will enhance the overall flavour.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:13 pm
@sozobe,
Tastes like chicken....