Schools closed-exotic animals prowl Ohio - Sozobe?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:28 pm
@dlowan,
CNN is reporting 49 of 55 killed, with one more to go.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
So... what's happened with the other five?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:40 pm
@DrewDad,
saved

There are conflicting stories on whether they tried to save these animals...given the body count the answer is clearly no, but some officials are claiming that they did.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Next up just as sure as rain is that it will be claimed that no humans were hurt so therefore this was a success, therefor the cops were right...they will not however get around to talking about how much danger people were ever in, and if they had other options besides the shoot to kill order.

Quote:
18 Bengal tigers - dead
9 male lions - dead
8 female lions - dead
6 black bears - dead
3 mountain lions - dead
2 grizzly bears - dead
1 baboon - dead
1 wolf - dead
1 grizzly bear - recaptured
3 leopards - recaptured
2 monkeys - recaptured
1 macaque monkey - missing
1 grey wolf - missing

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/animals/list-of-the-wild-animals-released-by-farm-owner-20111020-1m8t1.html#ixzz1bGq1l9MG
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Surprizing they were able to capture the grizzly bear!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:57 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Surprizing they were able to capture the grizzly bear!

The doors were open, but that does not mean that they all left. It might have been very easy...IE shutting the door.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 05:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
Of interest:

Caretaker claims that the animals were not hungry, they had been fed according to schedule the day before

This is a very lightly populated area

as soon as they heard about this on the news staff from the Columbus Zoo loaded up sedatives and launchers and headed out, hoping to help

PETA and rest are ignoring the question of if the kill was required, they are milking this for their long running effort to get zoos outlawed, starting with the right of citizens to own any animal not commonly known as a pet or livestock.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 06:39 pm
I really hate to see all those animals getting killed, especially since I like predators.
However, I can quite easily understand the position law enforcement was placed in by this situation. Capturing animals of this type requires a pretty capable crew and takes time to boot. Considerations for public safety would make capturing that many animals very risky indeed.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 09:40 pm
@wayne,
The monkey was eaten, so that makes 50 of 56 dead by my count.

No definitive word on the scope of the kill zone but there are reports that a couple of dozen of the dead where still on the property 2.5 hours after release when the cops showed up.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 11:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
50 of 55, I'd think, unless the monkey gave birth before it was devoured.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 11:37 pm
@DrewDad,
there were multiple monkeys.

one with herpes, as I heard it...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
18 Bengal tigers - dead
9 male lions - dead
8 female lions - dead
6 black bears - dead
3 mountain lions - dead
2 grizzly bears - dead
1 baboon - dead
1 wolf - dead
1 grizzly bear - recaptured
3 leopards - recaptured
2 monkeys - recaptured
1 macaque monkey - missing
1 grey wolf - missing

This is just appalling. And a tragedy.
I can't for the life of me see any humour in the predicament of these unfortunate creatures.
I feel terribly upset for those which have been lost or destroyed.
Is it actually legal for a person to collect "exotic" animals in some "private zoo" like this?
I just can't believe something like this has actually been allowed to occur..
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:23 am
@msolga,
Quote:
"If Mr. Thompson had exhibited the animals, bred them or transported them, he would need to be licensed by us,” said Dave Sacks, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which enforces the Animal Welfare Act. “He was not involved in those activities . . . so we did not inspect or regulate his farm.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/dangerous-exotic-animals-turned-loose-hunted-down-in-ohio/2011/10/19/gIQA9i3yyL_story_1.html

This state also has the least strict regulation in the country, so there was little to none from them as well. This guy was I think charged with animal cruelty because his animals were lose on time too many.

EDIT: sorry, that was wrong

Quote:
Fritz Douthitt, a volunteer at the Zanesville Animal Shelter Society, recalled Thompson's 2005 trial for cruelty and torture of cattle and bison. She said he had not been able to get up the hill to feed his livestock, and they died.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/us/ohio-animals-on-loose/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Thank you for the information, hawkeye.

Quote:
The federal Animal Welfare Act applies only to commercial operations such as zoos, breeding operations that sell animals and auction houses. The act does not apply to private collections such as Thompson’s.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/dangerous-exotic-animals-turned-loose-hunted-down-in-ohio/2011/10/19/gIQA9i3yyL_story_1.html

Unbelievable!
A person can keep lions, leopards, etc, in their own private collection, in what ever situation they choose to keep them apparently, for their own idiosyncratic reasons.
The federal Animal Welfare Act needs some serious tightening up!
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:39 am
@msolga,
Quote:
A person can keep lions, leopards, etc, in their own private collection, in what ever situation they choose to keep them apparently, for their own idiosyncratic reasons.
The federal Animal Welfare Act needs some serious tightening up!
The Constitution does not allow it

Quote:
Federal laws don't cover possession of tigers, wolves or grizzly bears, relying on state and local laws instead. Such "exotic animals" require a permit from the Agriculture Department, commonly issued to zoos and circuses, for their exhibition, sale or breeding.
Two federal laws, the Endangered Species Act, which covers tigers and grizzly bears, and the Captive Wildlife Safety Act, which covers big cats such as lions, prohibit the sale and interstate transport of endangered animals, like some of those reportedly released in Zanesville.
"But federal law does not regulate mere possession," says Sandra Cleva of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
For constitutional reasons, she said, states have been allowed to govern simple ownership of dangerous animals instead. Some large animals, such as black bears, are not covered by federal laws at all.
The Agriculture Department regulates animals under the Animal Welfare Act, but only if they are exhibited. Thompson's menagerie was a private collection, not exhibited to the public, "so essentially they were pets," said USDA spokesman David Sacks.

Quote:
Conservation biologist Luke Dollar of Duke University says some estimates speculate that 6,000 tigers live in private hands in the USA and "it may be higher. We don't really know.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-19/exotic-animal-state-regulation/50829690/1?csp=34news

It turns out that Tigers breed very well in captivity, so no one really knows how many there are or where they are.
msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 12:52 am
@hawkeye10,
When it comes to the US Constitution ... well, I know a heck of a lot less than US citizens would know. Not surprisingly.

All I know is that the circumstances of these wild & "exotic" animals require far more protection than they apparently have been receiving. They deserve far more respect than this, surely?

Whatever the contradictions between state & federal laws, surely it is time to catch up with more enlightened attitudes regarding the treatment of such animals?

I can't believe this incident has occurred in an enlightened country in the 21st century, I honestly can't believe it ....

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:02 am
@msolga,
here you go

Quote:
The reach of federal regulation is far broader than the state and local level regulations but is limited to regulating the ownership, transportation, exhibition, importation, and exportation of captive wild animals through interstate commerce and foreign policy. Because the federal government does not have a general police power, most regulations occur at the state and local levels, where police power does allow for general regulations for the public welfare.

http://www.americanbar.org/newsletter/publications/gp_solo_magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/exoticpets.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 01:08 am
@msolga,
Quote:
When it comes to the US Constitution ... well, I know a heck of a lot less than US citizens would know. Not surprisingly
Dont count on that...our education system sucks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 02:13 am
The Miss Olga Outrage (TM) routine again . . . i can't believe that any civilized nation in the 21st century allows the unregulated exportation of live sheep. Every nation has its flaws, and all systems of laws have their lacunea. But it gets tedious hearing from Miss Olga just how barbaric we are, and the incredulity with which she greets this.
msolga

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 03:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The Miss Olga Outrage (TM) routine again . . . i can't believe that any civilized nation in the 21st century allows the unregulated exportation of live sheep.

I can't either, Setanta.
Which is why I started a thread about this abhorrent Australian practice quite a while ago. I continue support the campaign against it, to this day.
http://able2know.org/topic/69082-1

Do you have some problem with my desire to see animals treated with some decency & fairness, or is this just another routine knocker Setanta (TM) post?