Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
No, on the news they did use the qualifier 'on the mainland.'
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh sure that's ok so. Laughing
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:19 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Hey G! It's good to see you.

Yep. I do hope we don't revisit this. It's been said a lot today about the fact the army hasn't been deployed here and comparisons with NI.

There is unrest still and that has been worsening in the recent months with Omagh. Heavy heart.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:22 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
Don't like stirring it up Izzy but they didn't hesitate in putting the army on the streets of Nth Ireland and shooting people there with rubber bullets and even live ammo. Odd eh?
As well in the case of Libya sending the troops out on the side of the rioters.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:24 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
mobs in London, it crossed my mind that bringing in tanks might be both safer and better able to do the job
You seem to have not gotten the memo that the UN is documenting tanks on the street in Syria as evidence for Assad's date with the War Crimes Tribunal....
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:24 pm
@Izzie,
It's terrible whats happening, I feel for the people caught in the middle of this insanity, especially the elderly, afraid to leave their homes at the best of times, never mind with this lunacy going on.
I have a feeling it'll be brought under control soon enough, I think the powers that be were just caught on the hop.
Hopefully.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
You can NOT possibly compare Libya with England in any way shape or form, ridiculous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:27 pm
It's really nasty in Manchester tonight, on Princess Street, Market Street, St. Anne's Square, in the Arndale Centre ...

Quote:
The thieving continued for several minutes in front of onlookers.
The lack of civil courage isn't only a problem in continental Europe.
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:30 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I hope so too. Especially the elderly, seeing a 90 year old lady trying to get out of her home... the thugs just laughing at her, looting injured folk and photos such as these

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/aug2011/0/2/a-woman-can-be-seen-jumping-from-a-burning-building-in-surrey-street-pic-wenn-604844033.jpg

It is so sad.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:31 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Well the Conservative Party's full name is The Conservative and Unionist party. This sort of thing will keep flaring up as long as they're in power. There's a load more public sector strikes to come, and I'm sure there'll be trouble then.

Despite what Terry Fuckwit says this has absolutely nothing to do with Egypt and Syria.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Peoples civic responsibility has been severely damaged by the actions of politicians and bankers etc. People feel let down and alienated.
For a long time now people have felt powerless against the corruption in politics and business, so I'd say the " civil courage" is still there but people are wondering why should they bother when they see corrupt politicians and bankers getting away with it, walking away with mega bonuses and huge pensions , which the ordinary person has to pay for.
It's hard to owe allegiance to that sort of "civil?" society.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:42 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Exactly
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:49 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
There are no consequences for their actions - they know full well that even if they are arrested and charged - they cannot all be locked up - empty threats from the government.

The courts today referred those who have been charged to the Crown Court for sentencing as the magistrates cannot hand out long enough sentences. (this is my understanding, can't locate a source).

Manchester Arndale Ctr is burned ...

http://www.channel4.com/news/riots-spread-to-manchester-midlands

Mindless.

Just cat and mouse.

Police station in Nottingham firebombed... ugh ugh

firefly

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
This has nothing to do with Libya, or Syria, or anything else you're mentioning.

In this situation, you have out-of-control opportunistic criminal behavior victimizing and terrorizing the rest of the surrounding civilian population and causing untold personal and financial damage. The goal is to restore civil order as soon as possible--for everyone's well being. If police on horseback can't do that, then you bring in tanks or a militia presence. The jails in London are already filled because so many arrests have been made, but this shows no signs of stopping. The government has an obligation to use whatever manpower is necessary to protect law-abiding citizens, and their property, in a situation like this, and to bring the situation under control as soon as possible.

The comparisons you are making are ludicrous.
McTag

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:03 pm
@Izzie,

Quote:
There are no consequences for their actions - they know full well that even if they are arrested and charged - they cannot all be locked up

Looks like David Cameron was advocating a change in the law with his statement today.

Quote:
Manchester Arndale Ctr is wrecked ...

I think the Arndale is okay. Sporadic violence, quite fast-moving, a few shop fronts broken. Bargain Booze on Deansgate was a target.
I thought the Police were disappointing tonight, they had plenty of time to get ready for this.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:03 pm
@firefly,
Gaddafi and Assad say the exact same words you do re what they are trying to do, so the comparison is not only not ludicrous but it is required.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:07 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
There are no consequences for their actions

I agree and the thugs probably know this, prisons in England and Ireland are bursting at the seams. They should be handed heavy sentences, in my opinion all violent crime should carry heavy sentences. I don't know about England but here in Ireland the courts are ridiculously lenient on violent crime.

BUT their not the only criminals for which there are no consequences for their actions, all the greedy bankers and inept and corrupt politicians get away with it too. For instance we have here in Ireland a couple of individuals who cost this country billions, two ex CEO's of two banks which through fraud and deception have literally cost this country over 100 billion euros and guess what?, they still walked away with vast fortunes, are still free and our so called justice system doesn't seem to have the where with all to do anything about it.
I believe that till we see these people being held responsible, that normal civil society will be under constant threat.
But as the old saying goes, one law for the rich and another for the poor.
I think the USA in some cases are way ahead of us in dealing with white collar crime.

Oh! this does not in ANY WAY justify the action of these thugs, peaceful demonstration is the way to go.

See you Izzie, you take care now.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:14 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote:

The courts today referred those who have been charged to the Crown Court for sentencing as the magistrates cannot hand out long enough sentences. (this is my understanding, can't locate a source).

I did see on the BBC that they were all being remanded in custody, that's prison without the uniform, and it frees up the cells.
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:17 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
McTag wrote:

I think the Arndale is okay.

That's good Taggers - there seems to be conflicting reports at the mo. Certainly, flash points in different areas. I don't hear any reports of anything going on in London.

Maybe, just maybe... could this be getting under control? Hoping so much for calm.

eurocelticyankee wrote:

Quote:
There are no consequences for their actions

I agree and the thugs probably know this, prisons in England and Ireland are bursting at the seams. They should be handed heavy sentences, in my opinion all violent crime should carry heavy sentences. I don't know about England but here in Ireland the courts are ridiculously lenient on violent crime.

BUT their not the only criminals for which there are no consequences for their actions, all the greedy bankers and inept and corrupt politicians get away with it too. For instance we have here in Ireland a couple of individuals who cost this country billions, two ex CEO's of two banks which through fraud and deception have literally cost this country over 100 billion euros and guess what?, they still walked away with vast fortunes, are still free and our so called justice system doesn't seem to have the where with all to do anything about it.
I believe that till we see these people being held responsible, that normal civil society will be under constant threat.
But as the old saying goes, one law for the rich and another for the poor.
I think the USA in some cases are way ahead of us in dealing with white collar crime.

Oh! this does not in ANY WAY justify the action of these thugs, peaceful demonstration is the way to go.

I hear ya!

I do think social unrest has a lot to do with the mob-rule as and as Osso was saying about belonging to the "something", and proving a point - but I do also believe tho that there are organised criminals who are inciting this.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 04:21 pm
@izzythepush,
Civilized nations don't make up the law and punishment as they go along, as we keep sayong while criticizing the likes of Libya and Syria.
0 Replies