Rioting spreading through London & to other English cities.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:12 pm
@Izzie,
Kids brought up to believe that they are great and that they can have/be anything they want realize post Great Recession that they are fucked....and you don't understand where the anger comes from? Wonderful!
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
The only one showing a lack of understanding is you.
http://www.britishblogs.co.uk/images/606406.jpg
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not all kids are brought up, nor do all kids believe that they are great and that they can have/be anything they want!

Yes, I do understand where the anger comes from, more than you would possibly ever understand - so you can twizzle your 'wonderful' where the sun doesn't shine.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:19 pm
@izzythepush,
RIGHTTTTT....that is why I keep hearing "How can this be happening in our cities!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:24 pm
@Izzie,
Right.

Adds, when I say 'for whatever reason', depending on the person, it can be a sense of alienation and hurt within a family and those around you, a resentment of people who can afford to have stores and charge you for things it seems like others all have but that you can't ever possibly buy, and adolescent (available at all ages) rebellion, and rage at inequality, triggered by an occasion. For those thinking further, raging political anger, I posit many of those would agitate in other ways and not burn their places. But, dunno.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:26 pm
@Izzie,
Through bad education, bad parenting and bad luck there has never been with-in memory a generation more unprepared to live in the world they have than is this one. Their inability to cope with reality in positive ways is going to be a running problem...so wake the **** up...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
Bad parenting has always been a problem it's not a new phenomenon.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:36 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Bad parenting has always been a problem it's not a new phenomenon.
bad economies are not new either but economies as bad as ours are new to us....it is all about degrees and timing, not that you are bright enough to grasp such higher ordered thinking mind you.
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Their inability to cope with reality in positive ways is going to be a running problem...

I partially agree with this statement

Eyes wide open Shocked <--------- see

and awake, thank you very much!

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
A lot of the kids involved with this have very low expectations, 2nd/3rd generation unemployed suffering from postcode prejudice. All the recession has given them is the chance to make the most of a riot.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Btw I'm not the one saying 'Why our cities?' When Osborne read out his budget I knew there would be riots.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A lot of the kids involved with this have very low expectations, 2nd/3rd generation unemployed suffering from postcode prejudice. All the recession has given them is the chance to make the most of a riot.
Are you really this dim? Those who are in bad situations are mostly fine so long as they have hope for getting out. Once the hope is gone though watch out! This is where we are in 2011, the ranks of the hopeless are exploding, which means that our cities will as well, sooner or later. It is only a matter of time before this happens in America as well, at the moment we are all whistling past the graveyard.....except for the dim ones who dont know enough to know what is coming.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:57 pm
I saw an unconfirmed report on Twitter that some of the rioters are making people strip naked in the street.

Then another tweet explaining we have that here, too...only it's called the TSA ..haha.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 02:58 pm
@Izzie,
Quote:
People often do things they wouldn't ordinarily do, whether it's right or wrong / happy or sad, when there is a crowd. The fear goes. In these situations, that's a very dangerous way to be.

I agree. And this mob mentality is now focused on opportunistic crime, looting, and destruction, and the fear of consequences is diminished. Younger people can get caught up in the excitement and emotional contagion of such a mob and they can do things they wouldn't ordinarily do.

We've seem similar rioting and looting in our large cities in the past. It might have been initially triggered by an event or grievance, but it then acquires a life of its own.

But, I keep thinking, that if something that widespread and out-of-control occurred in a U.S. city, the governor of the state might well call out the National Guard--the state militia--to contain it and to maintain the peace, rather than just relying on an increased police presence. Is an option like that available in the London situation, or are there other reasons for not using that kind of approach?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

[But, I keep thinking, that if something that widespread and out-of-control occurred in a U.S. city, the governor of the state might well call out the National Guard--the state militia--to contain it and to maintain the peace, rather than just relying on an increased police presence. Is an option like that available in the London situation, or are there other reasons for not using that kind of approach?

They can always call out the army, but it's a sense that we don't do that sort of thing over here. They've authorised the use opf plastic bullets for the first time. But on a lighter note, Saints4-1Torquay!
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:04 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
We've seem similar rioting and looting in our large cities in the past. It might have been initially triggered by an event or grievance, but it then acquires a life of its own.
That is the way it went down at Tahrir Square and Tiananmen Square as well, but you think that you are being all profound dont you......
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:13 pm
@firefly,
Apparently... we will not bring in the army because this is a policing matter. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I agree that the police should not be undermined... but... somehow this has cease.

Joe Public (at this point and from the people I've speak with) is of the opinion that if the police are not able to maintain order, that the army ought to be brought in under police command.

Express (nasty newspaper) and the only source I can find at the mo

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/263973/UK-riots-92-per-cent-say-bring-in-the-Army-

The UK is different to the US in that it is illegal to have guns here - I saw an interesting photo earlier on that shows our differences

http://i52.tinypic.com/f4phzp.jpg

In posting that - we have now had rioting since Saturday and our police are on the backfoot being played like cat and mouse.

0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They can always call out the army, but it's a sense that we don't do that sort of thing over here.

Don't like stirring it up Izzy but they didn't hesitate in putting the army on the streets of Nth Ireland and shooting people there with rubber bullets and even live ammo. Odd eh?
firefly

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They can always call out the army, but it's a sense that we don't do that sort of thing over here. They've authorised the use opf plastic bullets for the first time.

I hope you didn't think I was talking about a U.S. militia that came in firing bullets or live ammunition at civilians. It's just that when I looked at all those mounted police on horseback trying ineffectively to control the mobs in London, it crossed my mind that bringing in tanks might be both safer and better able to do the job. There is something much more imposing about a military presence, and they might be able to re-establish order more quickly. Anyway, it was just a thought on my part.
Izzie

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2011 03:16 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

But on a lighter note, Saints4-1Torquay!

Good on the Saints. Some normality at least. Actually, I s'pose I oughta be cheering for my fellow Devonians Wink

There is still a lot of normality in the majority of the UK - I do think tho there is a general disgust of what is happening in some of our cities.
0 Replies